Gibson Brands Forums

NGD 1996 Gibson SG 61 reissue

Ronnie Robinson

Hello all,

Been a long time since I've last posted on here although I have been lurking in the background but in any case my renewed interest is down to a lovely 1996 Gibson SG 61 RI I've just picked up for silly money.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cgh2wm4vz2h71s9/IMG_20151017_140423.jpg?dl=0

Lovely slim neck real easy to play and sounds fantastic. Not neck heavy in the slightest and in very good condition, looks to of been played very little.

Probably not got the knack of posting the pics correctly!

Any one have any idea what the pickups will be in this?

So after some use , it was clear the Sg would benefit from a fret dress. yesterday I took the SG to a local professional luthier which I've used several times before, he is incredible skilled and just with looking down the neck said the nut slots needed some work and there was a a slight hump on the upper part of the fretboard, sounds drastic but he was talking about very slight imperfections. Several hours later follow ing a fret dress and set up the strings are a knats whiskey above the frets all over the neck yet only singing sustain when bending and no choking out. The action is now quite incredible.

So after some use , it was clear the Sg would benefit from a fret dress. yesterday I took the SG to a local professional luthier which I've used several times before, he is incredible skilled and just with looking down the neck said the nut slots needed some work and there was a a slight hump on the upper part of the fretboard, sounds drastic but he was talking about very slight imperfections. Several hours later follow ing a fret dress and set up the strings are a knats whiskey above the frets all over the neck yet only singing sustain when bending and no choking out. The action is now quite incredible.

Nothing like a Great Setup, for helping to realize a guitar's full potential! [thumbup]

CB

Archived