Gibson Brands Forums

W.O.Y.M.T. ? Thread.

Digger

• Replies 480
  • Created
  • Last Reply

my wife spends a bit of time and money on it Dig - it does seem a popular pursuit nowadays. Couldn't give a flying one about it personally, but then she doesn't show interest in guitars, fishing, bushwalking etc either so all's fair.

my wife spends a bit of time and money on it Dig - it does seem a popular pursuit nowadays. Couldn't give a flying one about it personally, but then she doesn't show interest in guitars, fishing, bushwalking etc either so all's fair.

Yep each to their own I reckon too.

I looked into a popular genealogy site at one time and then realising the costs, pulled back. The mongrels never left me alone and I really had to get tough to get them to drop me off their lists, and stop sending me stuff I didn't want.They bugged me for a couple of years despite constant requests to be left alone. Put me off the whole idea really.

I'm not much into genealogy at all. I know my mother is English Irish, and my father was English German. Guess that makes me a mutt in dog terms. Ha! There tempers always flew, mom was very stubborn and dad had a bad temper. I haven't been on here a couple of days, been busy with other things and I have a doctors appointment tomorrow and a blizzard hitting tonight with high winds.

Too wet yesterday to get anything done outside but today looks like there may be dry periods to get some heavy stuff out of the way. I am hoping the grass will be dry enough to mow but think it unlikely with all the rain we've had.

I'm taking Mum up to the regional hospital tomorrow as they have agreed to give her more radiation treatment for cancer in her oesophagus. She has only 6mm clearance now and is having trouble swallowing food.

Poor thing! It's going to be a difficult time ahead I'm afraid.

I'm taking Mum up to the regional hospital tomorrow as they have agreed to give her more radiation treatment for cancer in her oesophagus. She has only 6mm clearance now and is having trouble swallowing food.

Poor thing! It's going to be a difficult time ahead I'm afraid.

6 mm !!!

That is hardly enough room to get a tube down. I hope it doesn't come to that.

Good luck on the radiation, I understand it can shrink the tumor and swelling. Hope it works.

Tell your dear old mom that we're thinking of her.

Saturday I'm driving my mom to visit her sister who is dieing of leukemia. The other brothers are flying in. One is coming from Denmark, but won't be here until Wednesday next week. Support from family and friends is important.

Digger, I hope your mom has people just checking in to say they care.

Thanks Skilsaw, sorry to hear about your Auntie too.

Cancer is just an awful way to go!

I will be talking to my daughters today sometime to let them know that Mum is on her final lap and to talk to her often.

My daughter that is local is coming this weekend but sees her frequently and most of Mum's friends have passed away now so not many of them to call.

She lives in a cottage on our property so we can look after her, and that's just what we are doing now, though she's been independent until now. She's 92.

I can't imagine her not being here to be honest.

Trip to hospital looks like it's been put off until next week now.

Thanks for your kind words.

1454532694[/url]' post='1737119']

6 mm !!!

That is hardly enough room to get a tube down. I hope it doesn't come to that.

Good luck on the radiation, I understand it can shrink the tumor and swelling. Hope it works.

Tell your dear old mom that we're thinking of her.

Saturday I'm driving my mom to visit her sister who is dieing of leukemia. The other brothers are flying in. One is coming from Denmark, but won't be here until Wednesday next week. Support from family and friends is important.

Digger, I hope your mom has people just checking in to say they care.

That's sad. That is some nasty stuff. I knew a guy at work that got leukemia and everyone had him wrote off but he survived it instead somehow. Prayers for your aunt and family skilsaw.

1454535915[/url]' post='1737131']

Thanks Skilsaw, sorry to hear about your Auntie too.

Cancer is just an awful way to go!

I will be talking to my daughters today sometime to let them know that Mum is on her final lap and to talk to her often.

My daughter that is local is coming this weekend but sees her frequently and most of Mum's friends have passed away now so not many of them to call.

She lives in a cottage on our property so we can look after her, and that's just what we are doing now, though she's been independent until now. She's 92.

I can't imagine her not being here to be honest.

Trip to hospital looks like it's been put off until next week now.

Thanks for your kind words.

Prayers for your mother too Rob. My wife's grandmother had the same condition where she couldn't swallow even water. She lived with a trake in her stomach and fed with a liquid diet in the tube for several years until one night she choked to death, we were at her house every day and spent time there. Very lovely lady! My wife's mother is on her last days too as she has been on oxygen for many years now and she can hardly walk or do anything but sit or lay down. I'm learning the worst thing about getting older is hearing so many sad story's of the elderly. And thy are all great people too. Saddens me!

That's sad. That is some nasty stuff. I knew a guy at work that got leukemia and everyone had him wrote off but he survived it instead somehow. Prayers for your aunt and family skilsaw.

Thank you, Retired.

Unfortunately, to use Digger's expression, this is Aunt Pat's final lap.

She is 87 years old and at some stage, they stop giving chemo to the elderly.

Pat is in an intensive care ward right now and will be moved to palliative care when a bed becomes available.

Three of her brothers and her sister (my mom) will visit on Saturday. A cousin is flying in from Denmark on Wednesday next week. All the family is gathering around to say good-bye. It is sort of bitter-sweet. They will get to say good-bye before she dies, but saying good-bye is always difficult. She has said she doesn't want a funeral but wants her ashes spread in the wind on the prarie where her dad homesteaded 106 years ago. My cousin is still on the farm and is handing it over to his son who will be the fourth generation of the family on the land. That is a lot of history for a Canadian family.

Death in the family is a right of passage that we all face. This one is really quite beautiful. A whole lot of love, and no lingering anger,animosity or unfinished business among the brothers and sisters. An example we can all learn from.

Nice to have a safe place to reflect on family history and the future.

Thanks for listening.

Thank you, Retired.

Pat is in an intensive care ward right now and will be moved to palliative care when a bed becomes available.

Three of her brothers and her sister (my mom) will visit on Saturday. A cousin is flying in from Denmark on Wednesday next week. All the family is gathering around to say good-bye. It is sort of bitter-sweet. They will get to say good-bye before she dies, but saying good-bye is always difficult. She has said she doesn't want a funeral but wants her ashes spread in the wind on the prarie where her dad homesteaded 106 years ago. My cousin is still on the farm and is handing it over to his son who will be the fourth generation of the family on the land. That is a lot of history for a Canadian family.

Death in the family is a right of passage that we all face. This one is really quite beautiful. A whole lot of love, and no lingering anger,animosity or unfinished business among the brothers and sisters. An example we can all learn from.

Nice to have a safe place to reflect on family history and the future.

Thanks for listening.

Who invited Skilsaw to the party?

His message is a real downer.

Who is going out for more beer?

I managed to get some work done outside yesterday finally as we had no rain at all.

I cut up a lot of heavy branches and wrestled them from the 6' long kikuyu grass that was growing through them, loaded them on the trailer and headed off down the paddock. Well half way down the paddock at least as the tractor spluttered to a stop! Bugger!

It had been sitting out in the rain for weeks and I had previously lost the lens over the fuel cap/gauge. I siliconed it up when that happened to keep rain out of the tank but possibly not quite well enough. Buying a replacement from Kubota would cost an arm and a leg I imagine? If that was the problem then I'll have to buy one anyway as water in the diesel doesn't make it run well at all~

So I drained the three or four litres of fuel out onto the ground and replaced it , then attempted to bleed the air from the injectors. Wouldn't start so I left it in the paddock. I know it's difficult to bleed the injectors on your own so if I can't get it to go today then I'll wait for a visit from daughter and Son in Law over the weekend. Grant can help me. It might be a crook fuel pump?

Then I mowed the lawns which took twice as long as usually as the grass had grown soooo much in two weeks that my 18.5 hp mower kept stalling. Part of it had to be mowed with the height on 8 whereas usually it's set on one or two! Then I went and picked Kell up and took her home, and then I collapsed on the couch for half an hour! A very physical day for an old bloke.

Gonna have a quieter day today with just some weed poisoning to get done.

Regarding Mum's cancer treatment.

Some developments happened yesterday in that after a meeting the treatment team, upgraded Mum's program to include 4 sessions of radiation over a few days, now scheduled for next week.

Because of the distances involved they want her to stay there from Wednesday on until the weekend. We have a community built accommodation centre near the hospital where we have a family suite and it's heavily subsidised by the Govt. As Mum can't manage in a strange place on her own, one of us will have to be with her throughout. It will be divided between Gael & I and who and when has yet to be worked out.

We will look after Mum and cook for her as the accommodation is self contained. The one that's home will need to look after Mum's partner Ray as he's 94.

So, a different week next week but between Gael & I we have made them get off their bums and do something for Mum, and I just hope that the result is worth it for her.

1454567852[/url]' post='1737233']

Thank you, Retired.

My wife's grandmother owned a homestead farm from the 1800's. We had to take the house down with the barn and everything several years ago. Raccoons and varmints overtook it all and some buildings were falling down. Going through cancer once, I told my wife I'd never go through it again, I told her, just let me go. Nasty stuff.

Hope things go well with your Mother Next week, Rob. Not much going on here, got my pill refills for this year. Seems they want to do another blood work this year. Guess that's what happens when you hit your 60's. Got to get er' done every year. They asked me tons of questions about do I exercise, what exercises do I do, what routine do I have, do I do cardio. My goodness, it seems it's getting harder to get your blood pressure pills refilled. Some questions; is it difficult to breath, have you had a heart attack, how's your ankles, then he feels them. I'd like to tell them, stick those pills where the sun doesn't shine.

Hope things go well with your Mother Next week, Rob. Not much going on here, got my pill refills for this year. Seems they want to do another blood work this year. Guess that's what happens when you hit your 60's. Got to get er' done every year. They asked me tons of questions about do I exercise, what exercises do I do, what routine do I have, do I do cardio. My goodness, it seems it's getting harder to get your blood pressure pills refilled. Some questions; is it difficult to breath, have you had a heart attack, how's your ankles, then he feels them. I'd like to tell them, stick those pills where the sun doesn't shine.

I'd be happy if the blood pressure pills actually kept my BP down!

Thanks to you all for your concern about my dear old Mum.

My mother, counting herself, has 5 sisters, and 6 brothers. Of the brothers, there are the two youngest left. Ervin and Don. The sisters, Deloris is the oldes at 93 I think, my mother at 86 and Lucy being the youngest. My mom spent the day at the nursing care most of the day with Deloris, Her son who taught me guitar has Alzheimer's now and doesn't know what's going on. I have tried to get his 60's Gibson for years which his old girlfriend in California has it. It's a beautiful black Classical in Gold trim. Looks like a lost cause and I have no idea what condition it's in. I know when he bought it, he paid Big bucks for it way back then. Thousands. I told my mother to tell Deloris I'd pay for the guitar sight unseen as well as the shipping as the gal who has it doesn't know anything about the guitar and doesn't play. But it's not looking good.

... Some questions; is it difficult to breath, have you had a heart attack, how's your ankles, then he feels them. I'd like to tell them, stick those pills where the sun doesn't shine...

So, a doctor prescribes suppositories to a patient.

A couple of weeks later, the patient is back and there has been no change in his problem.

The patient tells the doctor, "Those pills were almost too big to swallow and they did no good. For all the good they did me, I should have shoved them up my butt."

Took Bell down to one of our favourite places for a walk and it is a gorgeous morning for doing anything by the water!

The little beach we had in mind is still infested with holiday makers and bigger boats ovenighting there so we avoided it! The water is a mass of ski boats and jet skis tearing around. I dislike summer because of that.

IMG_0985_zpsqg5octmc.jpg

So we took the boardwalk track along the edge of the lake and it was lovely & flat and easy to walk a distance on.

Then we had a drive around looking at houses for sale because this looks as good as any place around here if we sell up on the farm.

This was our morning! IMG_0992_zpsitmlpagz.jpg

Then it was home for eggs & bacon on the patio~

1454804240[/url]' post='1738233']

Took Bell down to one of our favourite places for a walk and it is a gorgeous morning for doing anything by the water!

The little beach we had in mind is still infested with holiday makers and bigger boats ovenighting there so we avoided it! The water is a mass of ski boats and jet skis tearing around. I dislike summer because of that.

IMG_0985_zpsqg5octmc.jpg

So we took the boardwalk track along the edge of the lake and it was lovely & flat and easy to walk a distance on.

Then we had a drive around looking at houses for sale because this looks as good as any place around here if we sell up on the farm.

This was our morning! IMG_0992_zpsitmlpagz.jpg

Then it was home for eggs & bacon on the patio~

That looks like a lovely place to live? As long as there's no Man eating Sharks, poisonous jelly fish, poisonous critters like Snakes, frogs and spiders, no monitor lizards, Ect Ect. Ha!

1454723664[/url]' post='1737961']

So, a doctor prescribes suppositories to a patient.

A couple of weeks later, the patient is back and there has been no change in his problem.

The patient tells the doctor, "Those pills were almost too big to swallow and they did no good. For all the good they did me, I should have shoved them up my butt."

Too funny! msp_flapper.gif

That looks like a lovely place to live? As long as there's no Man eating Sharks, poisonous jelly fish, poisonous critters like Snakes, frogs and spiders, no monitor lizards, Ect Ect. Ha!

Jeez! It'd be pretty boring if we didn't have a few dangerous things here Rtd!

Incidentally you guys have more shark attacks per year than we do, we have one or two poisonous snake deaths a year and South Africa has some 200!

We hardly ever lose anyone to lions or tigers~

Drop Bears are entirely another matter! ( I won't even mention "Shark Cats"!)

shark_cat.jpg

1454961502[/url]' post='1738720']

Jeez! It'd be pretty boring if we didn't have a few dangerous things here Rtd!

Incidentally you guys have more shark attacks per year than we do, we have one or two poisonous snake deaths a year and South Africa has some 200!

We hardly ever lose anyone to lions or tigers~

Drop Bears are entirely another matter! ( I won't even mention "Shark Cats"!)

shark_cat.jpg

That shark cat is like our Wyoming Jack A Lope. I don't have a photo, but I'm sure millod can show you one. It's a giant Jack Rabit with antlers. There all over the place. Lol. Yeah, that big Snake you found awhile back would freak me out. We can't fire guns in the city but I'd sure shoot that thing if he wondered up here. I'm not really sure what animal kills more people a yr. here. Probably bear. Lots of folks hike in the foothills and cross between a mother and her cubs. Or get too close to take photos. Grizzly's and Kodiak's can stand over 7 feet high. Polar bear's kill people too. Their just looking for food, but will eat humans. I think the record size brown bear was recorded at 9 feet tall. His paw was as big as a mans chest with claws longer then a mans fingers. You could put your head inside his mouth while he was yawning. One swipe of his paw could cut a man in half. But in Nebraska, the worst thing is a rattle snake out in the panhandle. Or maybe a water moccasin. I think we might have some coral snakes out west too. But here, the worst thing is hoping you don't get shot. There's always gang shootings going on here. Criminals shooting people and robbing places. I've been shot once. It doesn't even hurt, didn't know I was even hit, except something called the bullet knocked me on my butt. I've said before, that I shouldn't be alive. Doctors couldn't figure out why I survived. PS. If you ever catch one of those shark cats, you should mount it!! msp_flapper.gif

It seems that you blokes are blinkered regarding the dangers there if this attached report can be believed!

http://www.animaldanger.com/north-america.php

According to this, your coral snake accounts for the equivalent of a couple years worth of casualties here. That means you have twice as many deaths from this one snake as we have from all deaths from all Australian wildlife in one year. Don't even talk about white tailed deer!

Did you know that all bears trace back to one female polar bear thousands of year ago according to DNA tracing? (today's useless piece of information)

So seemingly all bears have evolved from polar bears. (Excluding drop bears of course)

Archived