Gibson Brands Forums

2016 Gibson SG Special T

Barry Hill

I recently took a chance and bought a new 2016 Satin Cherry SG Special T from one of the online music stores.

Sorry to say, but the guitar had the worst set up that I have ever seen on a new guitar.

The nut was way too high and the neck had a really drastic forward bow.

The guitar was a tuning nightmare!

I almost sent the guitar back for a full refund but instead decided to take it to a shop to get it set up properly.

Now I'm really glad that I didn't send the guitar back because after the set up, this thing plays as smooth as butter!

The Satin Cherry finish looks really nice IMO and I really like the mini humbuckers in this guitar.

I'll be happy to post a picture when I figure out how to do it on this forum.

This guitar could wind up being one of my favorites in my collection...but come on Gibson!

Get your act together in your QC department!

I recently took a chance and bought a new 2016 Satin Cherry SG Special T from one of the online music stores.

Sorry to say, but the guitar had the worst set up that I have ever seen on a new guitar.

The nut was way too high and the neck had a really drastic forward bow.

The guitar was a tuning nightmare!

I almost sent the guitar back for a full refund but instead decided to take it to a shop to get it set up properly.

Now I'm really glad that I didn't send the guitar back because after the set up, this thing plays as smooth as butter!

The Satin Cherry finish looks really nice IMO and I really like the mini humbuckers in this guitar.

I'll be happy to post a picture when I figure out how to do it on this forum.

This guitar could wind up being one of my favorites in my collection...but come on Gibson!

Congrats and cool that you like it now

So the QC is as always <_<

Sorry to hear about your SG issues, Barry; but glad you were able to persevere and get the thing sorted out.

If you need some help with loading images on here; just shout and at least a dozen of us will be able to assist.

Welcome to the forums.

Hi Barry, welcome to the forum. Congrats with your new SG [thumbup]

Pleased for you that you got your guitar sorted out. You can't beat the roaring tones of a SG.

Hope you are enjoying bonding with your guitar.

As for posting photos on the forum. I use Photobucket. It's free to use. When you have uploaded a photo to Photobucket, click on IMG copy and paste onto your forum post.

Hope this helps.

Looking forward to seeing your SG Special T.

kind regards, Emma :)

Congrats and cool that you like it now

So the QC is as always <_<

Um...guys, that's NOT a QC issue, that would be the dealer, IF it was an issue at all.

Gibson does NOT set up guitars before they ship them, nor should they. They do a set up that's enough to tell if the guitar is within spec, nothing more.

IF they did do a full set-up, it would likely change due to weather in shipping it about half the time, and inevitably, each individual would likely tune it to their taste anyway.

That's why Gibson makes the stuff adjustable. When you get a guitar that can't be adjusted, THEN you have a QC issue.

Is it the dealer's fault that the nut was cut too high?

I suppose it doesn't matter now since this guitar is now a real pleasure to play.

I absolutely LOVE the neck on this guitar and as I stated in my original post, the mini humbuckers on this guitar sound incredible!

The shop that I took this guitar to, turned a turd into a cream puff.

It's ok with me if you don't believe there was a big problem with this guitar, Stein.

The problem is resolved and I'm happy with the guitar now.

Peace.

Is it the dealer's fault that the nut was cut too high?

No, but less of a problem than cut too deep. Once I had this problem - on a Gibson Custom Shop guitar. <_<

I suppose it doesn't matter now since this guitar is now a real pleasure to play.

I absolutely LOVE the neck on this guitar and as I stated in my original post, the mini humbuckers on this guitar sound incredible!

The shop that I took this guitar to, turned a turd into a cream puff.

[thumbup]

P.S.: In case you want to correct the typing error within the topic title, you may select "Edit" bottom right of your first post, and then select "Use Full Editor". This will allow editing of topic title and topic description, too.

Thank you, capmaster.

I forgot to mention that this is my second SG.

My first SG is a worn brown SG Special that I installed Seymour Duncan '59's in and now this 2016 Special T.

Both guitars are a real pleasure to play now...and they go great with my '79 Les Paul Deluxe and my '63 Epiphone Olympic (which someone modded with Lollar mini humbuckers). :-)

Um...guys, that's NOT a QC issue, that would be the dealer, IF it was an issue at all.

Gibson does NOT set up guitars before they ship them, nor should they. They do a set up that's enough to tell if the guitar is within spec, nothing more.

IF they did do a full set-up, it would likely change due to weather in shipping it about half the time, and inevitably, each individual would likely tune it to their taste anyway.

That's why Gibson makes the stuff adjustable. When you get a guitar that can't be adjusted, THEN you have a QC issue.

I will grant you that it's possible that the neck moved during shipping, and that caused a poor set up and the illusion that the nut was cut incorrectly. But the point of the PLEK system is to ensure the nut and frets are done right, and it absolutely is on Gibson to ship instruments that are properly set up.

And how you imagine QC could do their job on an instrument that isn't set up? Do you think there's some QC dude at the end of the production line who says, "This'd probably be a great guitar if it were playable"? That doesn't seems sensible.

... and they go great with my '79 Les Paul Deluxe...

[thumbup] A bandmate of mine owns a 1980 Gold Top/natural back Les Paul Deluxe with one-piece mahogany body and three-piece maple neck. Rather nice guitar. I heard her the last time just the day before yesterday when we gigged.

I will grant you that it's possible that the neck moved during shipping, and that caused a poor set up and the illusion that the nut was cut incorrectly. But the point of the PLEK system is to ensure the nut and frets are done right, and it absolutely is on Gibson to ship instruments that are properly set up.

And how you imagine QC could do their job on an instrument that isn't set up? Do you think there's some QC dude at the end of the production line who says, "This'd probably be a great guitar if it were playable"? That doesn't seems sensible.

This idea that major manufacturers do a "final set-up" is only a few years old, and likely a result of the internet.

There are some, granted, but Gibson and Fender have never done final set-ups before they ship guitars. (Custom orders or custom shop perhaps, but not production line). They DO do a set-up, but it is basically to insure the guitar is OK.

What about the dealer? Why is it folks are so quick to blame Gibson and not a word about the dealer? As long as I can remember, dealers set-up the guitars they sell, part of putting them out. GOOD dealers do. I used to work at GC about 30+ years ago, and that was for sure one of my jobs.

And if you think about this a minute, it's the dealer you buy from. That should be the first point of blame...not the one THEY bought from. If there IS a QC issue with a guitar, it's the dealers responsibility to get Gibson to answer.

You, me, when we try a guitar out, and it ain't set-up well, we should be asking the dealer right then and there, "why is this thing set-up so poorly?". It's a fair question if you can't actually tell what the guitar plays like. You might even ask "why did you accept this guitar from Gibson?" and it's not completely asinine. But to turn and blame Gibson and by-pass the guy you are paying (and it's like 40% or so they make) is the same as paying the middleman and expecting nothing of responsibility on his part for taking your money.

Having trouble posting a picture.

Stein,

I could have sent the guitar back.

In fact, I have until November 25th to send it back.

Instead, I decided to get the guitar set up properly which cost me $75.

The guitar plays and sounds great now so I'm going to keep it.

It's true that when you buy a new guitar, you'll probably want to set it up the way you like it, but this guitar was NOT playable out of the box.

I've never experienced that with a brand new guitar before.

If Gibson expects the customer to set up the guitar after purchase, then they should stop claiming that their guitars are set up by "experts".

It's a bit misleading.

Anyway, I was a little annoyed that I had to spend the extra $75, but I'm glad I did and the guitar is definitely a keeper now.

Now to finally post a picture of the guitar. :-)

OMG, I am falling in love with this guitar.

Now that it's set up properly, the neck is absolutely awesome!

Today I tried it out with my Blackface Deluxe re-issue and an MI Crunch Box. Sustain for days!

With the Crunch Box turned off the clean tone with the neck pup is fabulous.

I finally took the protective plastic off of the pickguard today. It's a keeper!

Sorry about the blurry pics (I never said I was a photograper). :-)

image_7.jpg

Archived