Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus top and Plus top Pro differences.

Robert1947

I have the former made in July 2004 bought in April 2009 used on ebay in Vintage Sunburst.It was made in Dalian China by Daewon Korean Factory there. I am wondering about the differences in the Plus Top Pro.Is there that much difference in the Humbucker/Single Coil push pull function.Is there that much difference in the sound in each? I am considering trading up.What would be a good price to expect for mine.It is like I bought with one small chip on headstoch and no scratches. I am a beginner but I want to learn playing Rocksmith 2014 and go from there.Thanks

I have the former made in July 2004 bought in April 2009 used on ebay in Vintage Sunburst.It was made in Dalian China by Daewon Korean Factory there. I am wondering about the differences in the Plus Top Pro.Is there that much difference in the Humbucker/Single Coil push pull function.Is there that much difference in the sound in each? I am considering trading up.What would be a good price to expect for mine.It is like I bought with one small chip on headstoch and no scratches. I am a beginner but I want to learn playing Rocksmith 2014 and go from there.Thanks

In my opinion, NO. I have had an LP with that function and I never used it. If I wanted a single coil tone I use my Strat or Tele. Their single coils sound much better imo.

So I would say no, not worth the trouble and money to get one. But hey, others may differ.

I am a beginner also looking for a decent semi hollow, Memphis ES Series or similar. These have the authentic blues tones I"m looking for. If you come across one please post it. I'm in the market.

Michael

What? The OP did not mention a Semi at all.

In my opinion, NO. I have had an LP with that function and I never used it.... So I would say no, not worth the trouble and money to get one.

I agree. My ES339 has coil splitting, and I don't use it either. My older LP Standard doesn't have it and doesn't want it. [cool]

lpp390.jpg

• 1 month later...

I'm a little late to the game here but here is my two cents. I have an Epi Les Paul PTP with coil tapping. I also have Fender Strat. I enjoy both. But I do like the LP coil angle a lot. Not saying it's the same as the Fender, but it is close, and gives me twice as many options at my fingertips. Try it. I like it a lot.

• 4 months later...

To me switching options were main reasons for buying the Les Paul and SG guitars I own. I always wondered why it took so long until manufacturers finally offered them stock.

Inspired by Jimmy Page and Frank Zappa, lots of players modded their guitars back in the day using four-conductor third-party pickups. Then Ibanez was the brand that introduced their patented TriSound switches.

I wouldn't want to do without split and parallel coil options. They are integral parts of my sound palette.

Archived