Gibson Brands Forums

What model is this?

Rich Parry

Anyone know what model this Gibson acoustic is? On the back of the guitar neck the number #37259 is embossed, which my research shows it was made in 1961. This date makes sense to me, it was about that time I recall purchasing it.

I am the original owner, I have not had any re-finishing done. It has normal scratches from years of use, but is in general good condition. Any idea what a fair price is?

Thanks in advance,

Rich in San Diego

post-74619-009696600 1445872340_thumb.jpg

What's it worth? Stick it up on Ebay or Reverb starting at $2200. If no one bids after six months of relisting, it's worth less than $2200. The market value is pretty much in line with what vintage buyers will shell out.

What's it worth? Stick it up on Ebay or Reverb starting at $2200. If no one bids after six months of relisting, it's worth less than $2200. The market value is pretty much in line with what vintage buyers will shell out.

It should sell for more than that, if the condition is what it appears to be.

Jedzep is right, in that a guitar like this is worth whatever anyone is willing to pay at the moment. If you were to sell it to a dealer, or trade it in, you might only get around $2k for it. With patience and luck, via ebay, you might get as much as twice that, but it depends on the condition of both the guitar and the market at any point in time.

If it's in really good condition, you might see it listed at a high-end dealer for sale at about $4k, but that doesn't mean that he would get that, and you as the seller might not get close to that in any case.

Whatever you do, don't try to "restore" it in any way. One-owner guitars generally bring more money, unless they have been used as working musician's tools for 50 years, and are beat to pieces.

Yes to Nick's valuation, so I might start any auction at something closer to $2600. Ebay skims 20% so that hurts, but Craigslist is free and San Diego has a large enough hip population to get a good response. I paid $2600 for my '56 J45 5 years ago, but that model year is now in the 4K range.

yeah early 60's J50. I have a 62 I adore. to give you some idea of prices, I paid $900 with a bad headstock repair, and a couple more $ to a good luthier who fixed up the headstock (though I left the repair cosmetically exposed. Wear the scar I say) that luthier and two of his clients who played the guitar all made me cash offers higher than that when I picked it up, so i'm sure yours would fetch at least $2k. In my experience the beat up ones play/sound the best, and I guess they agreed! One thing I see in your photo that I would suggest, especially if you're keeping the guitar. Have a good luthier take a look at the top right next to the treble side of the fretboard under the pickguard. Those guards shrink and actually crack the top, I can see it happening in your photo. Get at it early!

Archived