Gibson Brands Forums

A and D Tuning Problem

Greg1967

Okay. Here is the issue. I am having tuning problems with my SG. If I pick the open A and D string then it sounds in tune. However, if I pick the open A and hold down the 2nd fret on the D (an E) then it is out of tune. And of course if I do tune the A string while holding down the D string on the 2nd fret (an E) then it is out of tune when I pluck the open A and D string. I’ve intonated it and it sounds good up and down the neck when I play a power chord or play a C# and G# for example. But for some pesky reason it is out of tune as I described above. I just had a new graph tec nut put on it. Maybe the A string slot needs some attention to it? It does tend to go out of tune on the A string faster than usual. I’m taking it back to the Luthier to have him check his work. My pickups aren’t set too high. And I’m using pure nickel strings so I don’t think it’s a magnetic issue.

Fretboards are built according to equal temperament. This is the best compromise found through the centuries although wind instruments can't follow these rules precisely.

As a consequence of equal temperament, only octaves provide proper intonation. All the other equally tempered intervals have to be more or less compromised compared to just intervals. The smallest deviation is found in equal fourths being +1.96 cents, i. e. slightly sharp, and equal fifths which are -1.96 cents and thus a little flat. For comparison, an equal minor third is -15.64 cents, an equal Major third +13.69 cents.

These deviations must be obeyed when tuning a guitar.

Intonation and neck relief settings have to be done to meet the guitar in playing posture, i. e. in Spanish position for an SG, and using 2nd harmonics and 12th fret notes only for intonation adjustment. As always when fretting, it is important to just hold up the wisely chosen fretting force with the thumb on the neck's back, no more and no less. The thinner the neck profile and the softer the neck wood, the higher the importance of precise balancing forces.

Comparing e. g. A5th at 5th fret to D4th open clearly makes sense. However, a valid comparison of A5th to D4th at the 7th fret will call for using the A5th's 2nd harmonic. This will apply correspondingly to any intonation comparison between strings. Any string will have an inharmonicity in itself; pitches grow sharper with increasing order of harmonic. Our hearing is very critical when beats within less than a Major third appear since our ears are designed by nature to hear within Major third bands.

Finally, you may adjust a guitar on a bench, but as suggested before, trying to verify neck or intonation adjustments on a bench is definitely useless. I have seen very few musicians playing their guitar or bass put on a bench.

Archived