Gibson Brands Forums

Pictures of my L-5 Custom Crimson

LP335175L5

That is one beautiful instrument. What year is it? The Crimson ones are from the last few years I believe and I was wondering does yours have an ebony board? I read that Gibson made some with rosewood recently?

Hi, This guitar is 2015 made,with ebony board,not rosewood,effectively .

This is good too, especially for the forest :)

• 1 month later...

Gorgeous instrument - thank you for sharing ! I wanted one of these guitars since the late 'sixties. The term "L-5," spoken or written, gets my immediate respectful attention, LOL.

Natural finish archtops, to me, suggest that the top has been carefully selected for uniform, flaw-free grain. Some might disagree, opining that a uniform grain structure is neither necessary nor desirable (perhaps using the example of Bob Taylor's "oak pallet" guitar) arguing that more complex and desirable harmonic overtones are produced from a non-uniformly-grained top. Perhaps that's true but my old ears can't detect subtleties like that.

I believe that the longevity of any guitar is extended with a straight grain top because stresses are distributed evenly across the top as it moves with age, humidity and temperature. I also think that tonal qualities will likewise be more consistent as the instrument ages as opposed to the inconsistently changing dimensions of a non-uniform top due to unequal stresses. These are personal opinions, based only on intuition and NOT on measurements or audible comparison.

I'm not fortunate enough to own a L-5CES with that flawless natural finished top, I have a WesMo with the traditional sunburst. But I DO have a natural finish L-4CES [thumbup] that I love. It doesn't possess the tonal qualities of the L-5 but it is a very versatile instrument ! (That second pickup at the bridge dampens top movement a bit, in my opinion.) Here is a posed photo of the two:

P1010341.jpg

(FWIW, at the lower right of the photo is a picture of Johnny Cash with his arm around my Grandmother. I grew up in northeast Tennessee and he was "almost" our neighbor.)

Mostly from curiosity, because it was a new product from an American manufacturer, I purchased a chambered, thin Carvin guitar with natural finish a few years ago. It was a bit gaudy for my taste so I soon divested it although it was a satisfactory instrument in some ways (for blues, especially - sort of ES-335'ish). A guitar with a maple top isn't mellow enough - for me - to produce the tonal qualities that I prefer for jazz. Having said that, I am an admirer of Larry Carlton.

Carvintopandoutputjackplate.jpg

I also own a very pretty Heritage Golden Eagle (#248 of 250) in natural finish. We all know that Heritage is a Gibson step-child, right ? Here is a photo of that instrument, posed beside my WesMo L-5:

P1000903_zpskmbikncr.jpg

I have to admit that there is an inner conflict regarding the finish of the L-5CES (but not other guitar models). Maybe I was conditioned in the late sixties, after hearing and seeing Wes, to think that a sunburst finish is "correct" for the L-5. Weird, huh ? Still, any natural finish arch-top is a fine thing to see and admire =D>

P.S. Early recordings of Wes were made with an ES-175. As we know, the ES-175 is dimensionally identical to the L-4CES but has a laminated top and back. There is an old rumor that, not long before he died, Wes wanted Gibson to make him a custom L-4 with a single neck pickup. Can't confirm that, it's just something that I read.

My L-4 is about one inch greater in body depth than my L-5 although the lower bout is one inch less than the L-5 - the sound chamber volumes were about equal. Maybe Wes thought the tonal qualities of the two models could be similar if the L-4 lost the bridge pickup (and the L-4 could be more comfortable to play). That is IF the above is even true, LOL. Sheer speculation on my part !

I posted my NGD over in the lounge a couple of weeks back, but since replying to this thread I was lucky enough to get a great deal on a 2015 L-5 CESN Custom Crimson. I set out to get an L-4CES, but ended up with an L-5 and it really is a beautiful & outstanding guitar. Here's a picture of mine; Btw, love your Wes Montgomery and L-4CES randyc.

L52_zpsq7n3t4tl.jpg

Archived