Gibson Brands Forums

My DR-100

JeffreyO 46

001_2.jpg

Hi Folks. I just joined the forums a day or so ago and wanted to post a photo of my DR-100. It was a beginner's package which came with the headstock tuner, and gig bag that my wife bought me for my birthday back in July from AMS for only $79.99. It was one of their " Scratch and dent " items but to be honest , I couldn't find any issues with it at all. I'm 56 and have been playing for 43 years . I just think they were at the time, overstocked with these. Anyway , the only change that I did was to install a new set of Graph-Tech Tusq bridge saddle pins which have made a major improvement on the sound of the guitar. I use Elixirs 11-52 on it and am considering installing a set of Vintage style Klusons on it. You know, the ones with the Green knobs ? I also have 3 other Acoustic but ever since I got this one, it gets the most play . Great guitar for the price and fun to mod as well.

001_2.jpg

Hi Folks. I just joined the forums a day or so ago and wanted to post a photo of my DR-100. It was a beginner's package which came with the headstock tuner, and gig bag that my wife bought me for my birthday back in July from AMS for only $79.99. It was one of their " Scratch and dent " items but to be honest , I couldn't find any issues with it at all. I'm 56 and have been playing for 43 years . I just think they were at the time, overstocked with these. Anyway , the only change that I did was to install a new set of Graph-Tech Tusq bridge saddle pins which have made a major improvement on the sound of the guitar. I use Elixirs 11-52 on it and am considering installing a set of Vintage style Klusons on it. You know, the ones with the Green knobs ? I also have 3 other Acoustic but ever since I got this one, it gets the most play . Great guitar for the price and fun to mod as well.

Very nice Jeffrey - nice gig bag too - don't think they're available this side of the pond. You have a great wife! What other acoustics do you have?

I think they're great guitars for next to nothing, very photogenic too [thumbup]

Do you not find the custom light strings a bit "thin" (no pun intended) sounding? I use them on my parlour guitar but 12's sound so much better on the DR500-MCE.

Dodger, quite a few places have the Epiphone gig bags, best price I've seen is £20 at gear4music.

I think they're great guitars for next to nothing, very photogenic too [thumbup]

Do you not find the custom light strings a bit "thin" (no pun intended) sounding? I use them on my parlour guitar but 12's sound so much better on the DR500-MCE.

Dodger, quite a few places have the Epiphone gig bags, best price I've seen is £20 at gear4music.

Cheers Irish Rover - would love an Edread Epiphone hard case but can't justify buying one as the guitar rarely leaves the house!

I use 11s on my Masterbilts an AJ-45ME and an AJ500ME. I tried them on the AJ500 first as the 12s on that seemed a bit heavy somehow - I then decided to use them on the AJ45 and really like them - I wouldn't go overboard modding the DR-100 though - nice looking guitar and the hardware is quite good enough on these cheap and cheerful Epiphones

I bought a DR100 (natural) a year or so ago so I'd have a "beater" guitar that I could take anywhere and wouldn't be upset if it got dinged. After I got it I thought "how do they make these for so little money?" For the $100 I paid, it's a heck of a guitar, but I still won't care much of it gets dinged!

Very nice Jeffrey - nice gig bag too - don't think they're available this side of the pond. You have a great wife! What other acoustics do you have?

I also have a Fender CD60CE in a Mahogany finish , a Fender DG60 in Natural, and a Mitchell MD-100 which I also installed some Graph-Tech Tusq bridge saddle pins and tuners which were from a Fender DG-8 . X-mas is coming up next month, so I told the wife I want either a Epiphone Dove or Hummingbird.

• 3 weeks later...

I agree that DR-100 is a heck of a good guitar for the money. I also use mine as a beater for camping etc. But I modded it up a bit Southern Jumbo style. Got the pick guard on Ebay. Had to special order it because at the time all they had in this style had the Humming Bird on them. And I got them to make me a plain one, which they now offer. The fret markers are decals that you can buy online as well. I also cut the nut grooves a tad deeper and sanded the sadlle down so the action is 3CM (on 6th string E) at the 12th fret. Slap on some Martin 80/20 lights and it sings like a songbird! Now I'm going to, based on your post, get some Graph-Tech Tusq bridge pins.

IMAG0532_zpsqhxftbgl.jpg

I agree that DR-100 is a heck of a good guitar for the money. I also use mine as a beater for camping etc. But I modded it up a bit Southern Jumbo style. Got the pick guard on Ebay. Had to special order it because at the time all they had in this style had the Humming Bird on them. And I got them to make me a plain one, which they now offer. The fret markers are decals that you can buy online as well. I also cut the nut grooves a tad deeper and sanded the sadlle down so the action is 3CM (on 6th string E) at the 12th fret. Slap on some Martin 80/20 lights and it sings like a songbird! Now I'm going to, based on your post, get some Graph-Tech Tusq bridge pins.

Looks fantastic, you'd never guess that's a €100 guitar [thumbup]

Hopefully you mean the action is 3mm, 3cm would put the strings in a different postcode to the frets [biggrin]

Right 3MM. LOL. BTW, Did you know that as far as specs, there is no difference between the DR-100 and the PR-150? The supposed difference is in cosmetics. IE: the binding color. But I've done this modding on two guitars. Both purchased used off local classified for 1/2 the retail price. The 1st one was a PR-150 that looked exactly like the OP's guitar with black bindings and slightly darker shade of burst. And the 2nd as pictured above is a DR-100 with the white. Obviously they are interchangable at the Epiphone factory.

this is the 1st one which I later re-sold.

IMAG0496_zps9e7c2188-1.jpg

Archived