Gibson Brands Forums

Trying to ID pickup

Hey!

I bought my 1979 Les Paul Custom in 1991. Ever since, I've been wondering what pickup is in the bridge position. All other 1979 Les Paul Customs I've seen have had pickup covers on them. This one doesn't. While changing the strings the other day, I decided to take it out to see what it is. There's no markings on it what so ever. There's a 'J' scratched on the back of it. I tried taking the 4 screws out of the back to remove the plastic chrome backing piece but couldn't get it off and didn't want to risk damaging the pickup. Wondering if any of you might know what pickup it is. I think it sounds great in the guitar and have no intent on replacing it, just curious what it is. See attached pics...

Thanks!

Sean

post-74684-030390900 1446230519_thumb.jpg

post-74684-089301300 1446230534_thumb.jpg

post-74684-000246300 1446230573_thumb.jpg

Did some reading on Mr Lawrence and his pickups. Come to find out that he did consulting work for Gibson in the 70's. So I wonder if the pickup was a factory installed piece? I was thinking that it was something that was added to my guitar later. But, hearing that Mr Lawrence was on Gibson's payroll for a bit, makes me wonder if the L350 was an option from the factory.

Sean

Hello Sean.

I only know of Bill Lawrence's HB-R/HB-L and L6-S "Super Humbucker" pickups being used as stock parts on Gibsons. As for single-coils: the ones used in Gibson S-1 were designed by Him too.

But, I am not an expert on this subject. There are guys here, who know more about the pickups.

Cheers... Bence

Archived