Gibson Brands Forums

High E slips off fretboard (advice greatly appreciated)

I recently purchased a used Les Paul from GC in another state to get the AAAA top in Ocean Water (only one I could find) and love everything about it except when I pull off on the high e my index finger tends to slide and I find that the string slips down and off the fretboard to the side. In looking at what might be causing this I believe my playing isn't to blame since this never happens that I can recall on any of my other guitars including a '71 studio and a '02 Jr. Was a little worried that this is how a bound fretboard on the standard will play but on closer inspection the nut next to the low E is inset just enough to feel the edge of the fretboard when running my finger down it while on the high E side nut is perfectly flush. Also the space between the low E and the A string look just slightly wider than between any of the other strings. I believe the correct fix would be replace the nut and see if that fixes problem and if not possibly put new groove in saddle going north. One last issue I saw on line that Gibson epoxies the nuts on the 2014's so it is murder trying to replace, does anyone have experience with this, assuming the original owner didn't already replace with a different nut and a less than perfect job was the result. Any feedback appreciated!

You're answering your own question. You've also noticed the E - A spacing is off. Sounds like nut replacement is in your future, as fidgeting with it is hardly worth the time wasted for such an easy and cheap repair. Hopefully, you can find a qualified tech. Maybe call the GC you bought from and ask their repair guy to send the correct replacement.

I believe you are correct about the replacement and I have seen enough on line where I will do it myself. Still worried a little about how much epoxy Gibson uses on their nuts. Can't believe that they would let this guitar leave the factory like this.

... Can't believe that they would let this guitar leave the factory like this.

It happens.

Sadly I had to let pass the simply best Les Paul Standard I ever played tonewise. It was a 2012 Standard Premium Plus, and I was so excited about her that I found out the very problem not before I had brought her home. The nut has been cut correctly but the binding on the treble side was too wide as well as the fret wire bevels. This guitar didn't allow fretting D Major open or G Major open and strumming just a mezzoforte downstroke without blowing the E1st off the fretboard. It stayed well in the nut groove though.

Measurements showed that the string spacing was OK, and due to my wide fingers there was no place left to give away. It also has been the only guitar I ever ran into this particular problem with.

They offered me a refretting but I would have lost the nibs. I let that suggestion and the guitar go and decided to go with the second best. I don't know what they did then - I guess they cut her up. [crying] Unbelievable, but this guitar had passed the QC somehow... <_<

What is your return policy? I would consider that before doing anything and thus voiding this option.

Good luck, Tatman! [-o<

I know with acoustic nut replacement there is some fine tuning of the slots to get action just right, but I don't know if the same set up needs to happen with electric. Somehow I suspect it does, so I probably wouldn't just slap a new one on myself without consulting a knowledgeable tech.

I believe you are correct about the replacement and I have seen enough on line where I will do it myself. Still worried a little about how much epoxy Gibson uses on their nuts. Can't believe that they would let this guitar leave the factory like this.

I assume that you bought the guitar online thus unplayed from a GC in another state? First of all we should blame the GC for selling the guitar with this issue. A 'nut job' is not a big deal. It is commonly referred to as a part of personal 'set-up' on a guitar. The bridge saddle and truss-rod adjustments being the other components.

I seriously doubt that Gibson would epoxy a nut. They are meant to be removed/replaced etc.That sounds like an Old Wives Tail BS.

A lot of new guitars come from the factory with 'basic' setups. It is up to the player to have it 'fine-tuned' to their preference. I would admit, however, that having a nut slot so close to the edge that it slides off the board.....is unacceptable.

The fact that a 'secondary seller...GC' would resell it without fixing it SUCKS....and does not speak well of that store!

Its not the end of the world!.....UNLESS some F**K actually did epoxy it in!!!

Rod

The epoxy on a but is not hard to replace; I've had a nut change on my '14 Studio and it was as easy as any other nut replacement. But I agree with the above and get GC to do it under warranty.

Archived