Gibson Brands Forums

Can anyone help identify an early 60's Gibson P90?

kevbo82

Hey folks,

I always thought the P90 on my 62 SG Jr was a replacement simply because the pole screws looked so shiny and new, and the pots were replaced at some point in it's life. I loved the sound of whatever it was, so no worries. The other day I got bored and decided I wanted to know, so opened it up and looked harder. To my untrained eye, it really looks like an old Gibson, but almost like someone replaced, or removed and cleaned the screws!? It's even rusty right under/around the screws. Also looks like a more modern covering on the wires on the underside rather than the old piece of tape Gibson used, so maybe someone had the pickup rewound/restored at some point in it's life? Any way, here are a few pics, I'm sure someone on her knows a lot more about these than me and can chime in. It's a little hard to see the wiring in the cavity pictures, under the braid is a black cloth, and under that is white (which I believe is like the old Gibson's?) there is also a clear tubing around it where it enters the cavity, which again points to it being out of the guitar at some point if it is original. Again, I love it the way it is, wouldn't change it, but damn me if i'm not curious as to what it is now!

07A952AA-79CD-4A64-AE3A-0932800AB2EB.jpg

C584AFC0-FD21-42F8-B0C9-AA57AEE669AD.jpg

AE95A98F-115D-4237-8665-0C57D9592E6A.jpg

04A990BA-EE44-4EDE-B1E6-D1B81071F3D6.jpg

144537F0-48EE-474B-9B7E-E602BF44E095.jpg

I believe that it is an old Gibson P90 and (like you) think that the pole-pieces have been replaced and possibly re-wound. Does the cover look old or replaced?

Has the guitar been re-painted?

It would be hard to determine if the pickup is original to the guitar, but I would assume so.

I believe that it is an old Gibson P90 and (like you) think that the pole-pieces have been replaced and possibly re-wound. Does the cover look old or replaced?

Has the guitar been re-painted?

It would be hard to determine if the pickup is original to the guitar, but I would assume so.

The cover doesn't exactly look new, but it's in pretty good shape. It has the correct numbers inside it (uc 450-1 If I remember correctly) but they've made that cover for so many years who knows where/when that came from!?

i'm 99.9% sure the guitar was repainted. I went on a hunt for a cheap early 60's jr, so the easiest way for me to find one that I liked and not loose any money was guitar center. I searched their inventory online and bought 4 jr's that fit the bill, then returned the 3 I didn't want to keep (who are we kidding I wanted to keep them all!) the story they told me about this guitar, was it swept up in a tornado (makes it even cooler) and found a few blocks from the owners house. They believed he was the original owner as well. So one of my thoughts, was maybe the pickup got wet and had to be refurbished? But the rest of it looks too good (and still old/aged) for that too be the case I think. Obviously a guitar that went to Oz and back and has been refinished is a player and not a collectors piece, so original doesn't concern me much, I'm more curious at this point, and also feel like if I ever decide to try another P90 in it i'll know what I already have so I don't buy another one lol

Archived