Gibson Brands Forums

Full Gibson 2016 line up now up

Rabs

Wow... im pretty impressed with some of this new stuff on the new HP range..

Metal case, new neck heal dip switches (sounds really interesting)

http://www.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/2016/USA.aspx

New Traditional Series :-

Our Best Traditional Guitars Ever

•Historic heel

•TekToid nut

•Original neck width

•Vintage tuners

•Standard toggle switch

•Standard single-contact-point jack

•Traditional hard-wired control harness

•Traditional grade wood selection

•Acrylic inlays

•Traditional hard shell case

* Specific Models Only. See product page for details.

Improved High Performance Series:-

Add Tomorrow's Tradition to Your Collection

•Fast Acess heel

•Adjustable titanium zero fret nut

•New soloist's neck width

•Improved G-Force tuners

•Smooth silent-action toggle switch

•New gold plated multi-contact jack

•Dip switch for over 150 rewiring options

•Higher grade wood selection

•Genuine Mother of Pearl inlays

•Fortified aluminum case

* Specific Models Only. See product page for details.

HLPNSTDPHSCH1_ACCESSORIES_CASE_zpsj5neiwkx.jpg

notice the new neck heal

HLPNSTDPHSCH1_ELECTRONICS_SIDE_zpspuivspdx.jpg

So very excited for this official announcement, and well done Gibson! Best of both worlds, and bot lines are certainly attractive! Although there's quite a dollar price jump between T and HP lines (and also seemingly, the higher-grade maple caps go to HP), I think there's a lot in there worth getting. And given there's a choice of them; who can't be happy with this?

I've long thought that a 2016 Traditional would be on the cards for me; and when the Traditional T started popping up in stores a couple of months back it only confirmed that fact. But the HP has thrown a spanner in the works; it's awfully tempting to spend a few hundred pounds more (I'm guessing?) and go for the HP. Who knows...I'll have to visit the locals and start playing some. And that case! Phwoar...

Also tempted by the P90 SG HP (lookit' dem' horns):

HSGS90HCCH1_MAIN_HERO_01.jpg

So very excited for this official announcement, and well done Gibson! Best of both worlds, and bot lines are certainly attractive! Although there's quite a dollar price jump between T and HP lines (and also seemingly, the higher-grade maple caps go to HP), I think there's a lot in there worth getting. And given there's a choice of them; who can't be happy with this?

I've long thought that a 2016 Traditional would be on the cards for me; and when the Traditional T started popping up in stores a couple of months back it only confirmed that fact. But the HP has thrown a spanner in the works; it's awfully tempting to spend a few hundred pounds more (I'm guessing?) and go for the HP. Who knows...I'll have to visit the locals and start playing some. And that case! Phwoar...

Also tempted by the P90 SG HP (lookit' dem' horns):

HSGS90HCCH1_MAIN_HERO_01.jpg

Don't kid yourself… there will definitely be people who don't like this. Some people make a hobby out of hating on anything Gibson does. Not the Gibson hasn't given these folks fuel over the years and reason for their angst. They have. But, even when Gibson does something right, these people can't let it go and give them proper credit.

That said, Gibson could've saved themselves a lot of hassle and heartache (and sales) if they would've just thought about the ramifications of the major changes they made in 2015, and offered a traditional line then as well. Had they done in 2015 what their doing now for the 2016s they would've had a much better year last year and it would've been a more proper salute to Les Paul's 100th birthday.

Regardless, I'm glad to see them getting back on track. Will be interesting to see which line outsells the other and by what magnitude… My prediction, the T line will be the clear sales winner.

I want more information on the wiring between the "T" line and the HP line. Does the "T" line do everything the standard does? and if the HP line uses a pcb, of course its easier to use a dip switch to pick various modes. WE NEED more INFO! and Honestly spending $350 more for "upgrades" worth it? You get better tops, electronics,last year do-dads, and a tin case. hmmm. I have a hold on a Guitar waiting for a good top for my choosing.

I just want to see more of that case!

Looks spectacular!

But with the new models, and the new prices (Yikes!) I'm pretty happy with my 2015 LP Classic.

It's also sad that the price of a Studio is now so high. Used to be the workingman's axe. Now it's at the same level as the Classics were.

That said, Gibson could've saved themselves a lot of hassle and heartache (and sales) if they would've just thought about the ramifications of the major changes they made in 2015, and offered a traditional line then as well. Had they done in 2015 what their doing now for the 2016s they would've had a much better year last year and it would've been a more proper salute to Les Paul's 100th birthday.

Regardless, I'm glad to see them getting back on track. Will be interesting to see which line outsells the other and by what magnitude… My prediction, the T line will be the clear sales winner.

Agreed; the "T" line will be fan favourites, although I reckon, with the refined 2015 features; the HP line might still get a fair bit of attention. It's certainly thrown a curveball as to what I thought was a solid choice on getting a Traditional T.

I want more information on the wiring between the "T" line and the HP line. Does the "T" line do everything the standard does? and if the HP line uses a pcb, of course its easier to use a dip switch to pick various modes. WE NEED more INFO! and Honestly spending $350 more for "upgrades" worth it? You get better tops, electronics,last year do-dads, and a tin case. hmmm. I have a hold on a Guitar waiting for a good top for my choosing.

I have spoken with someone at Andertons (UK store) and they've said that the Traditional T has a PCB and Quick-Connect pickups. While I can't guarantee this to be true; I reckon most, if not all, will be PCB-based.

EDIT: Just seen that on the intro page on Gibson's own site they're saying hand-wired harnesses...shall wait and see which of these is actually correct by confirmation from someone msp_biggrin.gif

I just want to see more of that case!

Looks spectacular!

But with the new models, and the new prices (Yikes!) I'm pretty happy with my 2015 LP Classic.

It's also sad that the price of a Studio is now so high. Used to be the workingman's axe. Now it's at the same level as the Classics were.

I had a feeling the Studio hadn't been that high before; that does seem a bit off. You can still get a 'faded' Studio for about what a gloss should be in price, but I think that's a poor move by Gibson as you do.

I have spoken with someone at Andertons (UK store) and they've said that the Traditional T has a PCB and Quick-Connect pickups. While I can't guarantee this to be true; I reckon most, if not all, will be PCB-based.

EDIT: Just seen that on the intro page on Gibson's own site they're saying hand-wired harnesses...shall wait and see which of these is actually correct by confirmation from someone msp_biggrin.gif

Whoever told you that at Anderton's was wrong. My 2016 Traditional T is not PCB nor Quick-Connect... just normal old-fashioned wiring. The Standard T though I do believe is PCB/Quick-Connect again this year (like it's been the last few years).

I think this A solid change to the lineup and makes more sense. It's easy to distinguish what is what. Marketing in the HP is interesting too "soloist neck". Ok....wtf is that? I suppose it's the wider neck. I just love that they rebranded it "soloist neck" to make it sound like its somehow magically way better for that type of playing.

In all seriousness though, it makes total sense. We have the "purists" line and the "modern" line essentially. That should stop all the hating on Gibson for changing things up.

Personally I'm the purist type, and will look at maybe a standard so I can have something with the slim neck, but I have to say I'm intrigued by the new neck heel on the HP.

The new neck heels (especially on SG's) tend to concern me, a bit...as less wood usually means more "wobble!"

Maybe not so much, on the single cut "LP" models. But, the neck joints, on SG's have always been the topic

of controversy, regarding strength, and neck movement. So, it will be interesting, to see how that plays out?

CB

I think this A solid change to the lineup and makes more sense. It's easy to distinguish what is what. Marketing in the HP is interesting too "soloist neck". Ok....wtf is that? I suppose it's the wider neck. I just love that they rebranded it "soloist neck" to make it sound like its somehow magically way better for that type of playing.

In all seriousness though, it makes total sense. We have the "purists" line and the "modern" line essentially. That should stop all the hating on Gibson for changing things up.

Personally I'm the purist type, and will look at maybe a standard so I can have something with the slim neck, but I have to say I'm intrigued by the new neck heel on the HP.

It amuses me too. The branding of 'High Performance' and 'Soloist Neck' are teasing to (some) players preferring the Traditional models. The inference is that the T models are for 'regular performance' & rhythm players.

The 'Soloist Neck' tag has an evocative meaning for me as owner of both a wide necked LP (2015) and a 90's Jackson Soloist. When I first tried the wider Gibson neck my immediate impression was that it felt like the neck of my Soloist.

It does at the bottom end anyway. If Gibson went the extra mile and added the compound radius neck, I suppose it would upset even more people!

Whoever told you that at Anderton's was wrong. My 2016 Traditional T is not PCB nor Quick-Connect... just normal old-fashioned wiring. The Standard T though I do believe is PCB/Quick-Connect again this year (like it's been the last few years).

I did think it sounded odd for a traditional Traditional msp_biggrin.gif the bloke probably picked up a Standard, or assumed.

How are you finding yours? Got any images? I'm looking at an Ice Tea burst Trad T...

It amuses me too. The branding of 'High Performance' and 'Soloist Neck' are teasing to (some) players preferring the Traditional models. The inference is that the T models are for 'regular performance' & rhythm players.

The 'Soloist Neck' tag has an evocative meaning for me as owner of both a wide necked LP (2015) and a 90's Jackson Soloist. When I first tried the wider Gibson neck my immediate impression was that it felt like the neck of my Soloist.

It does at the bottom end anyway. If Gibson went the extra mile and added the compound radius neck, I suppose it would upset even more people!

Man, that's exactly what I thought when I got my '15! I said " this feels just like a Jackson" but with a bit more meat! The asymmetrical neck shape does make it pretty thin in some places though. And BTW the standard DOES have compound radius [thumbup]

I have to say, Gibson hit it out of the park on this one! I am so happy to see the HP series. I love my '15 and was really disappointed when the new models started coming out and they were all old spec. I did notice the "t" designation however and had hoped that it meant something and turns out it did! I'm glad that I can still get all the new features which I love and now can get them on an explorer or V, that's just awesome. Great job Gibson!

I did think it sounded odd for a traditional Traditional msp_biggrin.gif the bloke probably picked up a Standard, or assumed.

How are you finding yours? Got any images? I'm looking at an Ice Tea burst Trad T...

I absolutely LOVE my Trad T. I'm definitely a traditionalist and the HP line is not something I am interested in personally. But I can see the value of offering the choice to attract new players/buyers who may not necessarily be traditionalists like me. Will be interesting to see if there really is enough of a market to support the HP line. Time will tell.

Anyway here's a couple of outdoors pics of my Honey Burst Trad T. :)

image_zpsisvokeoe.jpg

image_zpsi1ivqs48.jpg

Since these pics were taken I've installed gold top hats knobs and pointers (just a personal aesthetic preference).

image_zpsm5uqedpx.jpeg

Good day!

I’m new here. just piping in for no good reason.

1) I’m no fan of the HP guitars, and I’m SOOOO glad they added the T line.

2) I wish the 2016 USA Les Pauls would come with a ‘plain’ maple top as an option. I swear this was an option a few years ago, and I absolutely HATE flame maple. I’m a bare-bones guy, and flame maple is just so gaudy. I’m in the market for a Traditional, but all the finishes are off-putting to me. I’d love a desertburst plaintop…oooh…I just got chills. Even ebony would be good. But I guess the best I can hope for is a AA maple top, and pray that it’s subtle.

3) The SG, Firebird and Explorer no longer come with HSC? I guess that’s so the prices can stay relatively low? Probably a decent move. I have a 2011 SG Standard that I absolutely LOVE, but I absolutely hate the case it came in. The stupid thing is falling apart, and i suppose it's just a matter of time before i need to buy a Gator Case to put it in. As a matter of fact, I’ve had better luck with Epiphone cases, when it comes to durability.

Cool.

More later, y'all.

Good day!

I’m new here. just piping in for no good reason.

2) I wish the 2016 USA Les Pauls would come with a ‘plain’ maple top as an option. I swear this was an option a few years ago, and I absolutely HATE flame maple. I’m a bare-bones guy, and flame maple is just so gaudy. I’m in the market for a Traditional, but all the finishes are off-putting to me. I’d love a desertburst plaintop…oooh…I just got chills. Even ebony would be good. But I guess the best I can hope for is a AA maple top, and pray that it’s subtle.

Cool.

More later, y'all.

Hello there and welcome to the fun...

Yes for some reason they seemed to have dropped the Classic line which usually came with plain tops (I have one and love it).. But maybe they will add that later in the year, its not even 2016 yet :)

And yes I don't always like over pretty tops.. sometimes it can be nice but it depends.. they are all kind of unique like that so you may as you say find some tops that are more AA (I have one of those aswell, a 2008 Standard :)) and more subtle.

Since you are new here and haven't seen (cos everyone else has :)) heres the guitars im talking about

IMG_0163_zps824afc25.jpg

IMG_0156_zps16aa4ebf.jpg

1) I’m no fan of the HP guitars, and I’m SOOOO glad they added the T line.

I dont like the AAAA tops. They look like they've been left too close to the fire.

http://www.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/2016/USA/Les-Paul-Standard/High-Performance.aspx

Welcome to the forum BTW

I can appreciate a good flame top, but some of the AAAA or whatevers in the HP line are a bit too flashy. I like the more subtle and random patterns; not this tight stripe thing.

That being said; still not put off by the idea of an HP Traditional (and breaking my Traditional ways...); you can get a T-line with a really flamed top, so I'd imagine there are some HP-line guitars with something a little less flashy.

Ask and you shall receive! [thumbup]

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/LPTDP16HSCH3

This is a Sweetwater exclusive... 2016 Trad plaintop, non-weight relieved and (relatively) baragain priced at $1999. If I was in the market for another LP (which I'm not) this would be high on my list.

Ask and you shall receive! [thumbup]

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/LPTDP16HSCH3

This is a Sweetwater exclusive... 2016 Trad plaintop, non-weight relieved and (relatively) baragain priced at $1999. If I was in the market for another LP (which I'm not) this would be high on my list.

Now, if it only came in a light-medium "Wine Red," I'd be (ALMOST) powerless, to resist it! [biggrin]

CB

Archived