Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson EB3: Could someone help me figure out the year this bass was made?

storlihoel

Hi,

I'm considering buying this bass. I guess its from the 70s, but it would be good to know the year it was made to give a fair price to the owner. From what I can understand its refinished, and the nut and bridge does not look original?

post-74728-005680700 1446669822_thumb.jpg

post-74728-035853000 1446669831_thumb.jpg

post-74728-090559600 1446669843_thumb.jpg

post-74728-035212900 1446669850_thumb.jpg

Best regards,

- storlihoel

Hi,

I'm considering buying this bass. I guess its from the 70s, but it would be good to know the year it was made to give a fair price to the owner. From what I can understand its refinished, and the nut and bridge does not look original?

Best regards,

- storlihoel

The bass is a 72 or newer. In late 71 the neck pickup was moved back, and in 72 & up they started using the 3-point bridge. I'm not sure if the nut is original (I have a late '71 EB3L which has a wider nut). The nut can be easily replaced, so that shouldn't be a deal breaker. Check EB3 pricing on ebay and Reverb before you make an offer, and then consider the value if it was refinished. Ebony is not as common as Walnut or Cherry, so if it's original - that would add some value. Make sure the electronics are correct and it still has the choke.

It looks to be in decent condition for 35 - 40 years old...

Take a look at Fly Guitars site for a ton of useful information: http://www.flyguitar...on/bass/EB3.php

Good luck and let us know if you get it! msp_biggrin.gif

By the looks of it, it's a 72 or 73. I was a little concerned by the lack of contour on the body side, but, it looks like Gibson omitted the side contours on those years. All other EB bodies (SG) were beautifully contoured along the sides as well as inside the two horns. I thought it might be a Jap clone. See if you can confirm the electronics are all legit. No clue what it would be worth. If it has a serial number you can read, there are sites that help you decipher the Gibson Serial number fiasco! Good luck and play on.

Scoop

Archived