Gibson Brands Forums

RFID Tag?

The Kid

I watched this tour in the Nashville factory on Youtube. Very interesting and if you haven't already seen it, I really recommend you to watch it. I'll put the link below.

About 14mins in this video-clip they talk about an RFID tag. In fact all the guitars that leaves the factory have got one installed underneath the fingerboard. Its some kind of scanning plate, that will tell if the guitar was built in the factory and shows all kinds of informations, dates etc. I assume.

But is this something that only the factory it self can use and scan? Or can you scan every guitar somehow/somewhere, to really check when, where it was built etc? Just curious to know =P. Is really every guitar made with this, or have they used the RFID tag for a long time?

The link:

To my information they use them since many years. I think it's primarily about internal use by the Gibson factories. They obviously don't publish codes to avoid fakes.

The MIM Fenders of mine have RFID tags, too. They can be found in the "bathtub" routings and thus are accessible after removing the pickguard. Thus internal use clearly is what they were made for.

Yes, that sounds logical. Many fakes from China nowdays. Even with the "Made in USA" mark in the back of the headstock :o. Must be pretty illegal. Haven't tried one thou, but I have a feeling they can't be any good.. well atleast not suited for big arena use xD.

The RFID chip is similar to the ones used in pets. It does not contain any useful information (unless they have changed them since I last checked). It is only alpha-numeric data. They "read" the chip in the factory and then record that data along with the serial number for internal use. (EXAMPLE: the chip may read, XDFG3453 and belong to a guitar serial number 91234. the chip will NOT read 91234) Each chip has a different code or data. Kind of like having a chip put in your dog. If the dog runs away, a vet can read the chip and look up in a database who the owner is. The chip along with the serial number is used for Gibson to verify an authentic Gibson. I know the Gibson Custom Shop has been using them a long time. I saw how they put them in the necks in 2002.

China has very different laws. The "Made in USA" on them may not be illegal in China. The Chinese government is helping in trying to shut down the ones that are shipping to the USA, but as soon as they shut down one shop, another one starts up somewhere else. Almost anyone can get on the internet and order one of those fakes and get them shipped right to your door. Because China does not recognize our copy write and trademark laws, those fakes are legal in China.

Alrite I see. It is really unfortunate that hey are legal in China. The registration of your brand, trademark etc should secure you allover the world. Specially a brand that big like Gibson.

The shipping to other countries should be illegal. But guess its not. Personally I have worked and played with Gibson guitars a long time, so I can see the differences quite well.

But some fakes can be hard to tell, at least just by looking at a picture. It's a really big difference if you compare them soundwise (Ive heard). But would be really wrong if it wasn't thou.

Archived