Gibson Brands Forums

2015 Les Paul Possible Changes

Emilenaidu

Hi There guys, I'm new on this forum. Been looking for a bit of advice, I'd like to replace my G-force System with regular tuners. What are the better brands to be looking at for that? I'm playing the Les Paul Special 2 Double cutaway. Also, about that brass nut, I definitely need to get rid of that. Was wondering if it was possible to replace this nut with a bone/plastic nut due to the designated space for the brass and other metal type nuts that they've issued as replacements. Last thing, custom pickguards?

Thanks in advance:)

These would be about right for LPs.

http://www.stringsdirect.co.uk/parts-c4/machineheads-c103/gibson-gibson-vintage-3x3-guitar-machineheads-gold-with-pearloid-buttons-pmmh-020-p3620/s3662?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=gibson-vintage-machineheads-gold-with-pearloid-buttons-pmmh-020-33mh020&utm_campaign=product%2Blisting%2Bads&gclid=CLXovd-b_sgCFWsTwwodD9EJaA

Gibson also use Grovers sometimes. I have those on my 339.

Was wondering if it was possible to replace this nut with a bone/plastic nut due to the designated space for the brass and other metal type nuts that they've issued as replacements.

I'm not sure I know exactly what you mean.

The brass nut is in two pieces, you'ld need to remove both parts and install a suitable traditional one. You'ld have to be sure about string spacing and slot sizes and neck radius. Unless you are familiar, its probably best done by a luthier.

Pick Guards? I've heard there may be some on ebay.

Hi There guys, I'm new on this forum. Been looking for a bit of advice, I'd like to replace my G-force System with regular tuners. What are the better brands to be looking at for that? I'm playing the Les Paul Special 2 Double cutaway. Also, about that brass nut, I definitely need to get rid of that. Was wondering if it was possible to replace this nut with a bone/plastic nut due to the designated space for the brass and other metal type nuts that they've issued as replacements. Last thing, custom pickguards?

Thanks in advance:)

G-Force replacement:

Grover Rotomatics, as Merciful-Evans has mentioned.

Original Rotomatics (102 series; left), or locking option (502 series; right):

102NK.jpg502.jpg

And the other option, preferred by many for superior construction and reliability; Gotoh.

Vintage style (model SG510, left) and locking Vintage (model SG90 MGT, right). Multiple options available on both:

sd510-image1.jpgsd90-mg-t.jpg

...and then their more modern, Grover-style machineheads:

sg301.jpgsgl510.jpgsgv510.jpg

Nut

GraphTech PQL-6010-00 will fit Gibson USA guitars nicely; they require very little work to fit in place of a standard nut, and is radiused correctly.

Pickguard - plenty of options on eBay and places like Etsy.

You may want to contact Gibson about wanting to replace the gforce tuner. I just bought a 2015 Less Plus, and Gibson removed the tuner and replaced it with Gibson tuners. They told me that they are removing all gforce tuners from their remaining unsold guitars. This was on Wed. 11/4 that they told me this. Good luck

You may want to contact Gibson about wanting to replace the gforce tuner. I just bought a 2015 Less Plus, and Gibson removed the tuner and replaced it with Gibson tuners. They told me that they are removing all gforce tuners from their remaining unsold guitars. This was on Wed. 11/4 that they told me this. Good luck

Was the guitar already fitted with regular tuners, or did they offer in the store? ?

Hey guys, thank you for the replies. So I'm actually from South Africa, unfortunately any suggestions about sending the guitar back to Gibson is out of the question.

Really appreciate all the input though, the tuners and the nut are my main concern. The guitar struggles to stay in tune, and from what I've read and heard from other mates, it could be the nut or the tuners. The G-force was a no brainer, I was going to take that off anyway, the nut was the main thing.

Cheers

Thanks

These would be about right for LPs.

http://www.stringsdirect.co.uk/parts-c4/machineheads-c103/gibson-gibson-vintage-3x3-guitar-machineheads-gold-with-pearloid-buttons-pmmh-020-p3620/s3662?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=gibson-vintage-machineheads-gold-with-pearloid-buttons-pmmh-020-33mh020&utm_campaign=product%2Blisting%2Bads&gclid=CLXovd-b_sgCFWsTwwodD9EJaA

Gibson also use Grovers sometimes. I have those on my 339.

I'm not sure I know exactly what you mean.

The brass nut is in two pieces, you'ld need to remove both parts and install a suitable traditional one. You'ld have to be sure about string spacing and slot sizes and neck radius. Unless you are familiar, its probably best done by a luthier.

Pick Guards? I've heard there may be some on ebay.

Yeah no, I would rather not mess around with it on my own. It just confused me a bit because I wasn't sure if a regular type nut could fit into that slot. Hopefully I can find someone to take care of it. Shot for the help bud.

Yeah no, I would rather not mess around with it on my own. It just confused me a bit because I wasn't sure if a regular type nut could fit into that slot. Hopefully I can find someone to take care of it. Shot for the help bud.

I actually like the concept of the adjustable nut, and really want it to work. I now have the nickel replacement and so far all is fine. If not, I know the titanium one (now shipped with HP models) will. The choice of titanium is actually overkill, but at least it will work.

If it wasnt for the fret slot sizing, it would be easy enough just to re-install the existing nut 180 degrees about. That would keep the zero fret out of the way and solve all 'rutting' issues.

G-Force. I am persevering with G-Force. I have had no problems yet (I've had the guitar a few weeks only) and its definitely growing on me. I dont use it for other tunings and have taken to only using the one-string-at-a-time method.

There is plenty of info here about its removal & replacement though.

Good luck with the mods. Keep us posted!

I have a 2015 LP Standard and sold the G Force tuners immediately, replacing them with Gotoh 510 locking tuners complete with tulip buttons. Got a deal on the tuners so they cost me half the cash I got for the G Force system. 21:1 ratio tuners and smooth as silk. I left the brass zero fret nut on the guitar, I can't see a standard nut being any sort of improvement on that. Tuners bolted straight on, just needing a small pilot hole drilling for the screw

G-Force. I am persevering with G-Force. I have had no problems yet (I've had the guitar a few weeks only) and its definitely growing on me. I dont use it for other tunings and have taken to only using the one-string-at-a-time method.

Did you change any settings? Like Accuracy? Did change a lot for me.

Archived