Gibson Brands Forums

Bridge Pin Size for Epiphone Masterbilt AJ-45ME

Epidano

Help!!

I'd like to replace the plastic bridge pins on my new Epiphone Masterbilt AJ-45ME with some made of harder material—either bone or ebony. Does anyone know what size pins are used on this guitar?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Since you brought up the topic of bridge pins-I was checking out different types with the thought of upgrading the plastic ones in my DR500mce and I stumbled upon some blogs that said plastics are as good or better than all the exotic (and more expensive) materials available.While I realize that sound is subjective ,I'd love to hear from anyone who has swapped out the plastic ones and what your experience has been.You can spend a fortune "upgrading" to what sometimes seems like no discernible improvement and I'm wondering what the consensus is here. Thanks in advance.

I stumbled upon some blogs that said plastics are as good or better than all the exotic (and more expensive) materials available.

I seriously doubt that. On the other hand, I kinda doubt the pins really make any huge difference in your tone. My RAVS came with fossilized walrus ivory pins. Yeah, it sounds great. I'm not sure how much the pins contribute to that great tone....

I have had my DR500MCE for three years now and it took me the same amount of time to settle on the strings I like the most on it ( D'Addario 11&52 EXP26 coated phosphor bronze NY steel) after trying about everything out there. Two weeks ago I thought I would like to change the pins so I bought some Graph Tech tousq traditional pins. The strings on it at the time only had about 10 hours of play time so I switched pin but not strings and I have to say although not huge it did make some change in the tone. I feel the treble side is a bit brighter and the sustain hangs on a little longer. Not big changes in sound but some change in sound and I like the look of these pin way more. Mik B)

More then likely they're probably 2 mm. I would send Epiphone a email just to be safe. I changed the ones on my DR-100 with Graph-Tech tusq, which are the best around and definately worth the price.

Jeffrey,

Good suggestion. That's what I did. Gibson informed me that the bridge pins on the Masterbilt have a top radius of .220" and a 5˚ taper.

I've been kind of following this thread for a reason. I have an AJ500M that I absolutely love, but was wondering if different bridge pins, nut, and/or saddle, etc. would make a difference. Gives me food for thought, so thanks to all who've posted.

Archived