Gibson Brands Forums

ES-335 with scratched out decal?

aviavi

Hi. I'm thinking of purchasing an ES-335, but the odd thing is that the inner decal has the serial number scratched out and re-written. Has anyone encountered this before? The guitar seems authentic...I think. Here's some photos, and thanks in advance for any feedback!

post-74813-048354400 1446851093_thumb.jpg

post-74813-003681600 1446851101_thumb.jpg

post-74813-003771900 1446851110_thumb.jpg

post-74813-039224600 1446851121_thumb.jpg

This was certainly NOT done at the factory, and I see no logical reason for it being done at all, besides the fact the number is scribbled wrong (The "00" is an integral and meaningful part of the serial number, and then the last scribbled digit seems to be collateral damage of the scratch-out.

It is easy enough, and DOES happen, that the wrong label got glued in at the factory, but this is NOT the way they would correct it. There are "forensic" ways to find out what was scratched out, determine if it was the same handwritting and ink, scratched out and rewritten while in the guitar or out of ( I suspect IN), etc.

There is something REAL funny going on here. I would pass on the guitar (ESPECIALLY if the price is "too good to be true"). There are many pre-owned 335's on the market that don't need the CSI team to explain or authenticate.

RUN AWAY!

I agree with L5LARRY. I see no reason WHY a Gibson label would appear that way.

Note that it is also a Memphis label. It gives even more evidence to what he says above, in that being of recent origin, no way this would be done legitimately. Not by Gibson, or a dealer, or anyone who might THINK they have authority to alter a label.

But what I don't understand, is WHY a label like this. The serial# on the headstock looks legitimate enough, doesn't appear tampered with. I can't think of anything to be gained by altering the label. So based on that, it doesn't appear stolen. Also, can't see that a Memphis label added to a 335 of this era would make the guitar seem more desirable or more valuable either. So I don't see this as someone trying to add this label to pass it off as something else.

Basically, I don't "see" any reason why this guitar would be questionable because of what has been done with the label.

Looking at the other scribbles on the label and what they might be for, leads me to think a child did it, or someone not in their right mind at the time.

Oh, there is no question this is a legitimate Gibson. I would not worry about a scratched out label, the serial on the back is fine. I agree that it looks like a kid did it.

I agree. Serial number says it's a 2009 Memphis guitar, which makes sense from the pictures. I can't remember that ES designation coded on the "model" line, but believe it or not, the handwriting on that line actually looks familiar from other labels I've seen from that period.

I'd say a kid got into daddy or mommy's guitar.

But I'd want to look at it first-hand.

Archived