Gibson Brands Forums

Modding my DR-100 !

JeffreyO 46

As I've posted, I have a DR-100 on which I've already installed a set of Graph-Tech tusq bridge saddle pins. Yesterday , I ordered a set of " Golden Gate " tuners on E-Bay which are made by Saga Musical Instruments. I never heard of them but from what I saw in the photo, they have a nice , vintage look and the 14-1 ratio just like the ones that are on my DR-100 now but minus the die cast screw on the end which always seems to get loose. I only paid 13 bucks for them so I'm not really losing out much. I just want to know if anyone on here has ever heard of this brand and what their thoughts are about them, thanks.

Don't anything about the tuners, but I have "spruced up" a DR-100. Southern Jumbo style. It's my camping guitar that I bought used for $50. But plays and looks good. And sounds decent. Currently doing the same on a PR-150 (virtually no difference IMO from the DR-100. Just a great Epiphone marketing strategy)for my nephew.

IMAG0532_zpsqhxftbgl.jpg

I got the tuners in on Friday and they were just horrible. I ended up tossing them in the trash and going to Guitar Center and buying a new set of Grovers. Of course I had to route the posts to 10mm but it was worth it. The Grovers add more tone and sustain to it and now if I decide to sell it, I can get a better value as well. X-mas is coming up next month and my wife said I can have a new guitar so I'm undecided between the Hummingbird artist or the AJ-200S .

I got the tuners in on Friday and they were just horrible. I ended up tossing them in the trash and going to Guitar Center and buying a new set of Grovers. Of course I had to route the posts to 10mm but it was worth it. The Grovers add more tone and sustain to it and now if I decide to sell it, I can get a better value as well. X-mas is coming up next month and my wife said I can have a new guitar so I'm undecided between the Hummingbird artist or the AJ-200S .

If you can play both obviously that's teh key to making your mind up. I had an AJ 200s and really loved it and it has a solid top which will sound better the more you play it.

Archived