Gibson Brands Forums

gibson custom shop historic collection L5 Tailpiece

culiersi

If the gold plating is your only issue with the existing tailpiece, just have it "replated" at a local plating shop. This will be MUCH cheaper than replacing it, IF you can find a replacement. Gibson DOES NOT sell replacement L-5 tailpieces to the general public, and I have had no luck getting such specialty parts even from "authorized" dealers. To find a plating shop in your area, ask an independent jewelry shop or custom motorcycle dealer for a recommendation.

Probably the only way to get a new tailpiece from Gibson is to send the entire guitar to "Restoration" dept. in Nashville. I would suspect the costs and downtime involved would make this option ridiculously cost/time prohibitive, but... you could always check with your local Gibson "Custom" dealer.

If you have a 2003 tailpiece that the gold has has been worn off of, there is obviously an underlying problem somewhere. As you don't mention the cause or ask "why", you probably figured it out already, but...... just for "general information and education",...the gold plating on guitar parts is very soft and easy to rub off. Case rub will damage it, hand rub and body "oils" will damage it, improper cleaning products, and even the wrong type of cleaning cloth will rub it right off. I have learned this the hard way, by experience!

The cost to have the tailpiece re-electroplated is probably less than you would think. I have to save up parts before I take them to the shop to be gold plated to get my "minimum charge" monies worth.

For plating, contact Steve Tracy, or any of the team, at Advanced Plating in Nashville. They do a lot of Gibson's plating.

Toll Free: 1-800-588-6686<br style="color: rgb(70, 63, 58); font-family: 'Open Sans', 'Helvetica Neue', Arial, Helvetica, Verdana, sans-serif; line-height: 19.8px; background-color: rgb(253, 253, 253);">Local: 615-227-6900

Advanced plating

Archived