Gibson Brands Forums

50th Anniversay Thunderbird with a fuzzy pickup!

blenin

Hello,

Just picked up a BEAUTIFUL 2013 bullion gold anniversary Thunderbird. When I took it for a test run, I discovered that the neck pickup is fuzzy sounding, distorted and, for lack of a better term, weak. The bridge pickup is fine. Don't do electronics. Ideas?

You can use a phillips-head screwdriver to bring the neck pickup closer to the strings.

Bring it up incrementally until you find the pickup strength and boldness you desire.

When the strings buzz, then you have reached the end of the road.

That, and you now have a 50th Anniversary sitar.

At that point, back it on down, and your guitar is perfect.

:o

You can use a phillips-head screwdriver to bring the neck pickup closer to the strings.

Bring it up incrementally until you find the pickup strength and boldness you desire.

When the strings buzz, then you have reached the end of the road.

That, and you now have a 50th Anniversary sitar.

At that point, back it on down, and your guitar is perfect.

:o

More concerned about the fuzzy or distorted sound I am getting from the PUP.

Hello,

Just picked up a BEAUTIFUL 2013 bullion gold anniversary Thunderbird. When I took it for a test run, I discovered that the neck pickup is fuzzy sounding, distorted and, for lack of a better term, weak. The bridge pickup is fine. Don't do electronics. Ideas?

Check the wiring and solder connections; a cold solder joint might cause the problem. Plug it in (at low volume) and wiggle the wires in the control cavity - the fix may be very simple. You might also want to post this in "Repair & Restoration" http://forum.gibson....nd-restoration/ the people there are very helpful.

Hope you find the problem...

Check the wiring and solder connections; a cold solder joint might cause the problem. Plug it in (at low volume) and wiggle the wires in the control cavity - the fix may be very simple. You might also want to post this in "Repair & Restoration" http://forum.gibson....nd-restoration/ the people there are very helpful.

Hope you find the problem...

Thank you!

• 1 month later...

Hi Blenin. I have a 2013 50th Annivarsary Gold bass also. I had the same problem with mine, exactly. I tried all the suggestions you got above and it still did it. I have an Epi Thunderbird with the same USA Tbird pups in it so I took the neck pup out and replaced it on my Gibson and the problem was fixed. I am not sure what was wrong with it. It appeared to be in good shape but something was shorting internally is the only thing I could think of. I hope this helps.

Jim

Archived