Gibson Brands Forums

My First ES-335

River Hill

I am getting close to purchasing my first ES-335. I am trying to hold off on seeing what is new for 2016. Looks like a few current variations of the 2015 models. I know I am not interested in a Satin version. Looks like I can find some new 2013 and 2014 models as well.

If you were buying one today, is there a version you would avoid or a version you would jump on if available. I really prefer one good or two great guitars over a few mediocre ones.

Well, it really is up to you. For what it's worth, I love my 2015 ES-335. I don't think there is anything they could do in a 2016 model that would make me want to trade. It's not like a cell phone where I wish I'd waited a few months for the next big thing. Find what you love and go for that.

As few have already said, try as many as you can and you'll know the right one when you find it. Personally I ended up getting a 355 in the end and have never regretted it for a second, there's just something extraordinary about it that appealed to me when I played it that I hadn't felt with anything else. The 57 classic pickups are a good shout also, the tone is fabulous.

Spent some time demoing this weekend and now I am liking the size of the ES-339 a bit more.

I'm a fan of the smaller size 339/359 - there's a few of us here. Very comfortable to handle standing or sitting.

It's great you've got the opportunity to play a few and check different models. Good luck with the hunt. . B)

Archived