Gibson Brands Forums

Guitars are like a bag of golf clubs.....

onewilyfool

I was talking to another guitar affecianado the other day...on why it is good to have different size and sounding guitars....And I thought, just like you need a different club for different situations on a golf course.....different guitars give different sounds....and are like that too.......comments, elaborations, elongations, opinions, digressions??????

A group of well selected guitars gives you an array of voices to blend and create with. Individual characteristics inspire independent and original creations.

I have been writing songs for about 25 years. I can tell you what guitar I wrote every song on. I hear the voice of the original guitar when I play the song, even though I might use an entirely different guitar to play it today.

My collection spans the range of steel string guitars built between the beginning of the 20th Century and the final stages of our current decade. When you can actually pick up and play guitar history, you get a sense of the path luthiers have followed from the scrappy, barky early tones to the ringing bells and pianos a fine guitar emulates today.

Strumming a 1920s archtop gives you a real sense of the music of the day - the scrunchy chords blend together until one of those old phonograph voices starts ringing in your head.

A 1930s flat will ring the early tones of bluegrass and country in a way no modern guitar ever will, and a few strums on a 1970s acoustic will remind you of simple words like smooth.

Pluck some chords in open tuning finger style on a Santa Cruz, and the mindset of California embraces you.

Some painters can create amazing works with black and a single brush. For me, a pallet of custom blends and exotic brushes brings the canvas to life, and life to the canvas.

If someone tells you that you own too many guitars, tell them they know too many words.

So that must mean I'm allowed to have 14 guitars' date=' good call[/quote']

Not really. You see, according to PGA rules, you can only carry 14 clubs in the bag, However players certainly have many more.

For example, Tiger sometimes leaves his 3 wood out of the bag and replaces it with a fairway wood or utility wood.

Depending on the course a certain type of pitching wedge, sand wedge, or lob wedge may be added or left out of the 14 selections.

What it means is you need 14 go to guitars and another dozen or so that are there just in case!

I was talking to another guitar affecianado the other day...on why it is good to have different size and sounding guitars....And I thought' date=' just like you need a different club for different situations on a golf course.....different guitars give different sounds....and are like that too.......comments, elaborations, elongations, opinions, digressions??????[/quote']

Now this is the kid that did pot in the back of the school.

• 2 weeks later...

So - you need a caddy to suggest and then pass you clubs, check (Guitar Tech).

You need a cart to haul the clubs around, check (Tour Bus).

A course to play on, check (18 venues on a circuit).

A team to play with and be a part of, check (The Band).

Marked or monogrammed balls - damn. I hate it when an analogy gets stretched too far.

It's the 19th hole for me and my old mate Jack Daniels.

Strumming a 1920s archtop gives you a real sense of the music of the day - the scrunchy chords blend together until one of those old phonograph voices starts ringing in your head.

A 1930s flat will ring the early tones of bluegrass and country in a way no modern guitar ever will' date=' and a few strums on a 1970s acoustic will remind you of simple words like smooth.

Pluck some chords in open tuning finger style on a Santa Cruz, and the mindset of California embraces you.

[/quote']

I agree. As much as I love Magic, there are some things the other guitars lend themselves to. For instance, playing Caleb Meyer, capo the Epiphone up around the 5th fret and you've got that high lonesome sound reminiscent of the hills. It'll give you chills!

Totally agreed and I don't even golf! I love having a variety and playing a bunch of alternate tunings also is a good reason to have more than one. Currently I have my Taylor 612C in standard (mostly because my daughter is using it a bunch for her vocal/guitar lessons), my Taylor GSMC is in DADGAD and my Gibson has been in Open G for awhile. I do switch up sometimes because certain songs demand the Gibson in open tuning and the Taylor just doesn't sound "right" for that particular song. Size differences and different wood combos also get me just what I am looking for for a particular sound. I am loving the differences between Sitka/Maple (Taylor 612C); Sitka/Rosewood (Gibson AJ) and Cedar/Mahogany (Taylor GSMC). Now I just need a couple dozen more guitars of different sizes and wood combos and I will be set! :)

PS... Hey GG... My daughter did her open mic a couple weeks ago and sang Caleb Meyer with her vocal teacher playing the guitar. She ROCKED!!! (although it would have sounded better if she would have let me play backup for her but 14 year old girls have a thing about "Daddy" being on stage with them I guess. ](*,) )

PS... Hey GG... My daughter did her open mic a couple weeks ago and sang Caleb Meyer with her vocal teacher playing the guitar. She ROCKED!!! (although it would have sounded better if she would have let me play backup for her but 14 year old girls have a thing about "Daddy" being on stage with them I guess. =P~ )

That's awesome news! You must have been so proud of her! Was she nervous at all? Good time to start playing/performing...... when you're young. Fourteen is that funny stage where you still need your parents but don't want them to know that you still need them! LOL Do the two of you play/sing together at home?

TWilson.....what about that 17º bend in the headstock??? I think that equates to a 5 iron...

Ha' date=' good point. My clubs have all been personally "tree-adjusted" and have little bark imprints in the metal. My guitar necks do not possess the necessary Evergreen Fir adjustment clues as do my clubs. Of course, when I hit a bad note, there are no trees in my place to take a good swing at!! [/size']

Never been on a golf court, so I cain't help you here.

Unless of course the drivin' range counts. Where me and my cousin and his best friend went out to hit an egg bucket of balls. We're the reason they put 100' high nets betwixed the driving range and the highway along the left side of the course.

Archived