Gibson Brands Forums

1998 LP Standard

gmac

What questions should I be asking the seller about this 1998 Gibson Les Paul Standard double cut. As a newbie to looking into a LP I am in need of some basic training.

Hi, gmac.

A few off of the top of my head:

• What condition is the guitar in? (does it have any damages, breaks in the neck, modifications)
  • Does it come with a hard case, and if so; is it the original hard case?
  • Does the guitar come with the paperwork? (original receipt, information leaflets from the case, etc)
  • Do you have high resolution photos of the guitar you can share (so you can assess from afar before committing to see it; share with us on the forums so we can help, too)
  • Are viewings and test plays available? (if you can go and see the guitar, hold it in your hands, give it a go to see if you like it).

There's a lot of guys and girls on here who won't buy without being able to see and play the guitar before purchase. This is a combination of making sure it's legitimate and is being sold as described, and also seeing if you can get along with it. This might sound strange, but many people can say, myself included; that they've gone to a guitar store, tried out 5 guitars of the same make and model, and yet only got on with one or two of them. This can be down to weight differences and neck shapes, and stuff like that.

I'm sure some other folks have some things to add msp_biggrin.gif

Hi, gmac.

A few off of the top of my head:

• What condition is the guitar in? (does it have any damages, breaks in the neck, modifications)
  • Does it come with a hard case, and if so; is it the original hard case?
  • Does the guitar come with the paperwork? (original receipt, information leaflets from the case, etc)
  • Do you have high resolution photos of the guitar you can share (so you can assess from afar before committing to see it; share with us on the forums so we can help, too)
  • Are viewings and test plays available? (if you can go and see the guitar, hold it in your hands, give it a go to see if you like it).

There's a lot of guys and girls on here who won't buy without being able to see and play the guitar before purchase. This is a combination of making sure it's legitimate and is being sold as described, and also seeing if you can get along with it. This might sound strange, but many people can say, myself included; that they've gone to a guitar store, tried out 5 guitars of the same make and model, and yet only got on with one or two of them. This can be down to weight differences and neck shapes, and stuff like that.

I'm sure some other folks have some things to add msp_biggrin.gif

Thanks Pesh for the info.

Archived