Gibson Brands Forums

Capo

Zippydog

I've discovered using the Capo.

Kind of fun and opens up my repertoire.

The only problem is, the build design crowds my hand when I fret near it.

The Capo I have been using is a G7th Nashville.

Do others Have this issue as well, is there another model that won't feel like it's in the way?

I've also noticed that I can barre cleaner chords when using it.

Might this indicate that my nut is too tall?

Thanks for your thoughts and suggestions.

I've actually just switched from a Planet Waves micrometer style capo to a spring loaded Kyser - does exactly the same job, just a bit more convenient to pop on and off.

I only have an issue with it when playing a B7, and I reckon that'll be the same with any capo, so I just move it (the capo) a bit further back from the fret.

In my limited experience the further you are away from the nut the easier it is to make a barre, capo or no capo. That's why it seems so unfair that the first barre chord most people learn is the F, I remember feeling like I'd never get it ](*,) used to practice it at the fifth fret and make my way fret by fret to the first.

I've discovered using the Capo.

Kind of fun and opens up my repertoire.

The only problem is, the build design crowds my hand when I fret near it.

The Capo I have been using is a G7th Nashville.

Do others Have this issue as well, is there another model that won't feel like it's in the way?

I've also noticed that I can barre cleaner chords when using it.

Might this indicate that my nut is too tall?

Thanks for your thoughts and suggestions.

Capos should not get in the way of your hand forming chords unless you've got some funky way of fingering some of them.

and as mentioned you could give a little more room by moving it off the fret a bit,, but one thing to keep in mind tho that the closer the capo is to the fret, usually the better the intonation will be when using it.

Also, the reason your able to make bar chords easier is probably just the fact that your shortening the "scale" from "nut" to saddle, and the capo will lay the string right down on the frets it's positioned at. if your guitar plays in tune when you are playing for example an E and D chord, then there is nothing wrong with your nut.

Hey, so.. Now that you have made the one jump, make another! buy a drop D capo! this is a blast... it lets you do drop D tuning style in any key.

so you would for example capo with the regular one on the second fret, then put the drop D capo on the 4ft fret. People will think you're a freakin genius. and you can also tell them the two capos help to improve "reception", ya man, better than a tin foil hat!

[thumbup]

For what it's worth-I saw a capo manufacturer (or it's celebrity spokesperson)suggest putting the capo on the other way around.I tried it and for some positions it was better but not so much for others. It could depend on what key and chord positions you choose.

Dunlop capos don't seem to get in the way - the ones with the adjustable strap

A great capo effect is to place it across the second fret but only the five high strings, you get a dropped D effect but it is really a dropped E. You can play most other chord shapes as normal G C A etc but the D shape sounds great using all strings. Of course this doesn't work with a Dunlop capo only the lever type

A great capo effect is to place it across the second fret but only the five high strings, you get a dropped D effect but it is really a dropped E.

yep.. I would do this with two capos too, before I finally decided to invest another 15 bucks and get a drop D...

Thanks for the tips and suggestions.

I tried moving it further back and it helped a little.

Yes, I do play chords slightly different than I think the most of you do.

I play the open E without using my pointer finger due to a finger injury many years ago.

So yeah I'm crowding the capo more than the norm.

I think if I were to locate a more flatter capo, that might help further,

Thanks.

Archived