Gibson Brands Forums

Knives.....

Murph

Been a while since we had a knife thread. My (late) Dad turned me on to SOG knives and multi-tools over 2 decades ago. They also make the Navy Seal knife. This is my daily carry, SOG Flash 2, used and abused.....

Is it true you guys in England aren't allowed to carry pocket knives? What are the laws over there in Europe concerning knives / multi-tools?

(ignore the shameless cd (available @iTunes and Google Play) plug.................

100_2437_zpsrkyzn4tx.jpg

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Is it true you guys in England aren't allowed to carry pocket knives? What are the laws over there in Europe concerning knives...?

Here's the UK story;

https://www.gov.uk/b...carrying-knives

Note that pocket / folding knives such as Swiss Army knives are not on the banned list (Basic Law #2) .

In Hungary, carrying a knife with a blade longer than 80mm is a criminal offense. I guess, most European country's regulations are similar(y absurd)...

Personally, Bence, I can't think of any sensible reason for anyone here in London to be on the streets carrying a knife with a blade longer than 80mm.

The days of having to act as a Hunter-Gatherer in SW1 are long gone...

Pip.

I feel naked if I don't have some kind of knife in my front pocket. My problem is, every time I get used to one, I lose it and then have to adapt to a new one. Most recently I forgot I had one in my pocket and went to an Orioles game. Was confiscated at the metal detector. [cursing] Didn't feel like walking all the way back to the car.

This is my current Buck knife. The blade is about 3 inches ( slightly under 80mm). It's very sharp but I would like it better if it were serrated down at the bottom.

Buck20knife_zpsofjgefrk.jpg

My wife's father likes to give nice knives as gifts. I had a really nice Buck from him with my name engraved on the handle and "Knife To Know You" etched on the blade. (I'm known for my bad puns) :rolleyes: But a local cop got that one after my stupid driving arrest a few years ago and I never got it back. Talking to other people with similar stories, I think that's common practice with the A.A. Co. Police. [thumbdn]

Personally, Bence, I can't think of any sensible reason for anyone here in London to be on the streets carrying a knife with a blade longer than 80mm.

The days of having to act as a Hunter-Gatherer in SW1 are long gone...

Pip.

Hello Pippy!

What I meant is, that there is a theoretical difference between legal terms of carrying and transporting. But, - in practice - it is a non-sense: a huge knife carried wrapped into a plastic bag, is considered as transporting and it is a completely legal act...

If You put one into a holder on Your belt, it is a crime. [blink]

Cheers... Bence

Guest Farnsbarns

The issue here is mainly around locking blades vs freely folding. At the risk of arousing the attention of Mr Plod, I regularly carry a locking blade knife on walks and days exploring with the dog and on other ocasions. I've been told by a policeman that it's unlikely I'd even get it confiscated walking about in the country, in wellies, with a dog, me approaching middle age and "rather well spoken", likely.to be polite and intelligible and all that but it's a serious crime in the law.

Knives which can be opened with 1 hand are worse. Mine does that too but it's a subtle thumb movement and you'd be forgiven for saying you hadn't even noticed.

Locking knives are legal in your own home of course, but flick knives, balisong (butterfly knives) and gravity knives are ilegal to posess, full stop, they're considered to have only one purpose, hurting people. I can see the sense in that although I'm very interested in balisong knives and consider flipping to be a perfectly acceptable purpose in the sense it's not far removed from the marshall arts. I'm quite prepared to break that law in my own home. I know I'm not going be hurting anyone else with one, I have no kids and I wouldn't leave one lying about. That said possession is a very serious offense and the maximum penalty involves doing bird so I haven't got one, yet. I do have some forging experience!

Edit: I really like knives. There's just an inexplicable enjoyment. It's a shame that these laws limit that but I also think they're necessary. There's a blur line as soon as you start defining intent and I wouldn't want that. We had/have a bad knife crime problem in London and teenagers were getting stabbed all over the place. They've had to play hardball.

I carried a sheaf knife as a kid (11 years old) for cutting sticks and making catapults (yes I was like that).

Cant think of any reason to carry one now. I dont fish or anything like that.

In fact blades are safety regulated at work now. All craft knives must be retractable and stay retracted except when in use. This is not a UK regulation but an American one. I work for GE, and its them that have insisted on this as health & safety practice.

I've always carried a pocket knife. Don't feel dressed without one actually. I got this from my dad I think, and we exchange knives as gifts often. I've always thought of it as a tool rather than a weapon. I have a dozen probably. I also have larger sheath knives (mostly used when camping), filet knives for fish, and a few "multi-tools" - I keep one of those in each car.

For the last 20 years this little Boker has been the knife I carry every day though. It's tiny so it fits in the pants pocket really well. (A knife clipped to my belt would not work in public schools clearly). It makes short work of an apple or pear and is great for clipping little bits of string or what not and opening mail. It's all I need really on most days. Although I have learned to leave it at home going certain places that are likely to have security checks etc.

bo2030.gif

Being from interior Alaska which I think is a relocated chunk of the wild wild west, I find it crazy to have a blanket law banning knife possession in public. Banning in certain places like bars, sporting events, court proceedings, etc... where people are not as relaxed as they would be at home playing guitar makes sense, but a blanket ban unless you are hunting, fishing, or transporting from the store is intrusive to me. Here in Fairbanks I could walk around with a machete on my hip and an assault rifle over my shoulder and the only looks I would get are from tourists. Also if I saw someone doing the same I wouldn't get concerned. Up here the one thing you know for sure is that with concealed carry totally legal you never know who would shoot back!

I do not carry knives. Never have. But I have a knife collection as well as a few swords. I wanted to finish our basement and hang medieval type knives and swords on the walls. So I've collected some. I have a knife next to me that's a Japanese 18" mini sword with Japanese writing. I have some knives that are wicked looking. One has 1 1/2" sharp spikes sticking out of the hand guard, some are medieval. For yr's they've been sitting in my gun safe. But I have no reason to carry a knife. When I worked at the railroad I had one in my locker I used at lunch and it was illegal with a 6" blade but I needed it for cutting up stuff like watermelon and such.

It's sad that someone needs, or feels the need to carry a knife or gun (this isn't a personal statement to Saturn). The US has gone crazy. Look at the killing figures. Just the polce killings are horrendous on their own. Then the amount of black people killed (the bulk by black's themselves). Something has to change.

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015/jun/09/the-counted-police-killings-us-vs-other-countries.

us_zpskl3namjr.jpg

I keep a Swiss Army Knife on my keychain which comes in handy (and keeps me from losing my keys so easily) and always have a Gerber or Buck knife in my pants pocket.

I like knives and they're very handy. I don't look on them as weapons. They're tools and fun things to screw around with when you're bored.

Being given a pocket knife as a boy was a rite of passage thing and it's stayed with me ever since.

why would anyone want to carry a knife? I don't get why anyone needs to carry a weapon of any kind.

I consider a knife a TOOL. I don't understand how anyone gets around WITHOUT a knife. How do you cut gas line on a 4 wheeler? Skin a deer? Repair a speaker cord at a gig/practice? Open a package with bomb-proof plastic on it? Change a 9 volt? Adjust your harmonics "just a touch, real quick", cut duct tape real neatly while Jerry rigging something, get an extra few inches of reach on the top shelf, cut a thread on your shirt, open a UPS package from Sweetwater, repair an old leather strap, cut a piece of rope to tie something on your truck, pull a staple, sharpen a pencil and on and on and on.

I'm a Survivalist, hunter, fisher, builder, fixer, motorcycle/4 wheeler riding Redneck from the Midwest and I use a knife many, many times a day. I also carry this SOG multi-tool, and I made the sheath.

100_2438_zpscsl3bpa6.jpg

I carry one of these:

http://www.swissarmy.com/us/product/Swiss-Army-Knives/Category/Everyday-Use/Signature/54091

I've had many colors, but I tend to lose them. My current one is green. Sometimes it's even sharp.

I'm not sure why anyone would call it a weapon, that seems like a gross overreaction.

Also, the reason us 'murricans carry weapons is to keep the government from trampling on our civil rights.

How are we doing?

Yeah. I probably should have clarified that I carry a knife as a tool, not weapon. Never used it or plan to use it to harm another person. However, if I ever found myself in a really dangerous situation, I would rather have it than not have it.

I mainly I use it at work to open packages and cut cords. It's just one item like my keys and wallet that I am so used to feeling in my pockets, that if it isn't there I notice the absence.

I don't get why anyone needs to carry a weapon of any kind.

I consider a knife a TOOL.

Exactly. I'm finding it a bit frightening how many people assume a knife is a weapon!

When you go to a restaurant and cut your meat what do you use? Is that a weapon? How come everyone in the restaurant is not stabbing one another with weapons on every table? Cuz it's a tool!

Guest Farnsbarns

It's sad that someone needs, or feels the need to carry a knife or gun (this isn't a personal statement to Saturn). The US has gone crazy. Look at the killing figures. Just the polce killings are horrendous on their own. Then the amount of black people killed (the bulk by black's themselves). Something has to change.

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015/jun/09/the-counted-police-killings-us-vs-other-countries.

us_zpskl3namjr.jpg

I must be on that graph. In the assalt by other means section!

Exactly. I'm finding it a bit frightening how many people assume a knife is a weapon!

When you go to a restaurant and cut your meat what do you use? Is that a weapon? How come everyone in the restaurant is not stabbing one another with weapons on every table? Cuz it's a tool!

exactly. now years back, when I would carry a boot knife, it was with the intention of self defense. i usually carry a locking pocket knife because it comes in handy during the course of the day. I'm not looking to stab anyone.

I consider a knife a TOOL. I don't understand how anyone gets around WITHOUT a knife. How do you cut gas line on a 4 wheeler? Skin a deer? Repair a speaker cord at a gig/practice? Open a package with bomb-proof plastic on it? Change a 9 volt? Adjust your harmonics "just a touch, real quick", cut duct tape real neatly while Jerry rigging something, get an extra few inches of reach on the top shelf, cut a thread on your shirt, open a UPS package from Sweetwater, repair an old leather strap, cut a piece of rope to tie something on your truck, pull a staple, sharpen a pencil and on and on and on.

I'm a Survivalist, hunter, fisher, builder, fixer, motorcycle/4 wheeler riding Redneck from the Midwest and I use a knife many, many times a day. I also carry this SOG multi-tool, and I made the sheath.

Sorry, I didn't mean any offense. As I stated, in that case it would be classed as part of your way of life. Here in the UK I can say without much doubt that none of the people I have known over the years have carried any form of knife, it's just not in our culture. Actually, my Dad used to have a Swiss Army knife when he was young, but other than that I can't think of anyone else. Probably a lot of English people (including me) instantly think 'weapon' if someone intends to carry a knife, because it's so uncommon over here and usually if someone has one on them it's for a bad reason! PS, I guess in some parts of the UK (London and some other cities) it may be more common, but I'm from a fairly small town.

Archived