Gibson Brands Forums

100th ann. Les Paul

olie

Is it just me or does anyone out there have any idea why Gibson/Epiphone released the 100th birthday special Les Paul as an Epiphone? Unless they're saving up for some blockbuster Gibson splash it hardly makes sense to me. Curious mind wondering.

...does anyone out there have any idea why Gibson/Epiphone released the 100th birthday special Les Paul as an Epiphone?...

[blink]

I'm not sure if you are making a joke or being serious.

Assuming the latter you may wish to peruse the headstock of pretty much every single model from the Gibson Les Paul range in 2015...

http://www.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/2015/USA/Les-Paul-Less-Plus.aspx

Pip.

Les-Paul-and-Mary-Ford-1951_zps9fmoelfb.jpg

The dapper gentleman seen here is playing an Epiphone.

[wink]

If Epi wish to honour the man then they have every reason to do so.

If it comes down to it 'The Log' which Les took to show Ted McCarty was a lump of 4"x4" wood onto which a neck and some electronics had been grafted.

The neck was an Epi neck...

Pip.

I think the 100th Anniversary Epi Les Paul Custom's are really nice looking!

Like a Les Paul Custom, with Sheraton neck appointments! Very Cool! IMHO

CB

Yes I like the look of 'em too, gold TRC and all!

I am hoping my next guitar will be a natural one of these or a Lee Malia.

And there does not appear to be a Gibson LP Custom model in the new line-up... :-k[confused]

Okay.I know that Epiphone can honor Les Paul should they wish to and yes, they are lovely-looking guitars but it still begs the question-why did Gibson (owner of Epiphone) give the lead to Epiphone when we all know that Les Paul was known for playing a Gibson even though he played Epiphones during his lifetime. I'm not trying to piss off all the loyal Gibson(Epiphone) fans here in Gibsonville-it simply seemed curious.Obviously I'm in the distinct minority thinking the way I do. Strangely monolithic thinking here in the 'hood.

Okay.I know that Epiphone can honor Les Paul should they wish to and yes, they are lovely-looking guitars but it still begs the question-why did Gibson (owner of Epiphone) give the lead to Epiphone when we all know that Les Paul was known for playing a Gibson even though he played Epiphones during his lifetime. I'm not trying to piss off all the loyal Gibson(Epiphone) fans here in Gibsonville-it simply seemed curious.Obviously I'm in the distinct minority thinking the way I do. Strangely monolithic thinking here in the 'hood.

I think someone above answered this but the whole Gibson USA line of 2015 had "Les Paul 100" scribbled on the headstock. that was Gibson's way of celebrating his 100th.

I think someone above answered this but the whole Gibson USA line of 2015 had "Les Paul 100" scribbled on the headstock. that was Gibson's way of celebrating his 100th.

Yeah, they even put that scrawl on the 2015 SG's, which were NOT one of Les's favorite models. THAT's what I found funny/curious.

But, he was shown, holding (anyway), a SG "Les PauL" Custom, on several (advertisement) occasions. Maybe(?) that was enough

justification, for including ALL the SG's? Who knows?! [tongue]

CB

...Obviously I'm in the distinct minority thinking the way I do. Strangely monolithic thinking here in the 'hood...

You've got it the wrong way around.

YOU are the only person here who thinks it odd that Epiphone and not just Gibson should honour Les Paul with the 100th anniversary instruments.

WE are all-inclusive in taking it as a matter of course that Epiphone should likewise honour the man.

If anyone here can be accused of a certain narrowness of mind then quite clearly it is yourself.

Furthermore many folks here in 'Gibsonville', myself included, also happen to own an Epi or two themselves so don't get too caught up in the snob thing, eh?

No offence intended.

Pip.

Les loved Epiphones and used their workshop himself to create the 'log'.

He appealed to Gibson (McCarty) for help when they were in financial trouble. Would Gibson have even bought Epiphone without Les? Some may argue that the takeover was anything but altruistic but it allowed the name (and some guitars) to continue.

The regulars in the Epi-area of this forum recently made me aware of this guitar. If ever there was a Les Paul challenge from Epi, its surely this one, with USA Switchcraft components and Gibson 57 Classic pups on board for starters. I'm impressed.

http://www.epiphone.com/Products/Les-Paul/Les-Paul-Tribute-Plus-Outfit.aspx

If Epi wish to honour the man then they have every reason to do so.

If it comes down to it 'The Log' which Les took to show Ted McCarty was a lump of 4"x4" wood onto which a neck and some electronics had been grafted.

The neck was an Epi neck...

Pip.

Pippy, is there anything you don't know? [biggrin]

Les loved Epiphones and used their workshop himself to create the 'log'.

He appealed to Gibson (McCarty) for help when they were in financial trouble. Would Gibson have even bought Epiphone without Les? Some may argue that the takeover was anything but altruistic but it allowed the name (and some guitars) to continue.

The regulars in the Epi-area of this forum recently made me aware of this guitar. If ever there was a Les Paul challenge from Epi, its surely this one, with USA Switchcraft components and Gibson 57 Classic pups on board for starters. I'm impressed.

http://www.epiphone.com/Products/Les-Paul/Les-Paul-Tribute-Plus-Outfit.aspx

They are very good guitars of that there is no doubt.

He says that there was a lot of misunderstanding about his feelings for the 'new Les Paul' shape (his words).

He didn't really mind the look and, as a proto-shredder, he actually much preferred the smaller heel and better upper-fret access.

On the downside he really didn't like the neck-heaviness of the guitar. Suede-backed thick width straps were not available back in '61.

Removing his name from the range, he reminded me, was all about his divorce settlement headache. Nothing more than that.

And as we had touched on that latter subject he informed me that he was delighted to find that Mary still has the sweetest voice.

They have put their differences behind them - after all; they are unlikely to be doing much touring in future - and they are working on some new material.

A new Xmas LP is in the pipeline, he says.

I wish I could say as much.......

Pip.

YOU are the only person here who thinks it odd that Epiphone and not just Gibson should honour Les Paul with the 100th anniversary instruments.

WE are all-inclusive in taking it as a matter of course that Epiphone should likewise honour the man.

If anyone here can be accused of a certain narrowness of mind then quite clearly it is yourself.

Furthermore many folks here in 'Gibsonville', myself included, also happen to own an Epi or two themselves so don't get too caught up in the snob thing, eh?

No offence intended.

Pip.

Really?

No offence intended.

This started out as a simple inquiry and ended up going off-topic. All I wondered was why Epiphone created what appears to be a seminal splash .Perhaps Gibson thought that they had already milked the occasion and needed to find a new market...I don't know. But you seem to have imbibed a whole lot of P.R. kool-aid.Have at it.And Who appointed YOU ,WE?

Well, for what it is worth I think the Epi Les Paul 100s are lovely looking guitars. And yes, I even like the headstock! In fact, I particularly like the headstock.

I won't get one because I have the 25 / 50 and that does me but they are genuinely nice.

Archived