Gibson Brands Forums

What is this pickup?

Thirst N. Howl

First off, thanks to those who make this board possible and to those who generously share their knowledge.

Okay.... Despite having read many threads about these pat no. pickups, I'm still stuck as to what this one is. I got it as part of a trade with no info on it's pedigree. The top of the bobbins are plain, no "T". I don't see any other discernable markings.

Thanks for having a go at this.

post-74886-014186200 1447339801_thumb.jpg

post-74886-051458400 1447339868_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

Lonely and confused ...

I was gonna wait for someone else to sound off, because honestly I have not the slightest idea. Given the wire, if it came like that, has probably been played in an instrument in the last handful of years. The look is something that harkens back to simi hollow body, maybe a reissue or even something hand made. But if I was to guess, I would say it came from a far east semi-hollow Epiphone or Gretch rip-off. Might be a hell of a pickup, might be the gadget the Brits used to break the enigma code.

Of corse, other pics would help.

I am leaning toward Gibson, because as far as I know, they were they only ones that had the pat# stamped on the bottom. I also think that lasted past the t-top bobbins.

Wasnt aware of that factoid, but good point.

I am going down this road....http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/ibanez-afd75t-artcore-series-hollowbody-electric-guitar/j05390004002000?condition=used#used

Early 1960's Gibson humbucker.

From wiki:

In July 1961, Gibson standardized the PAF construction process with the introduction of the SG model. With this, a new, smaller Alnico 5 magnet became standard. Also, a more formal number of wire winds was introduced, causing pickup impedance to center around 7.5kΩ. Around 1963, Gibson switched to polyurethane-coated wire from enamel-coated to cut costs, changing the wire color from purple to red. In addition, these pickups were also given a new sticker that had a patent number written on it. However, the stickers were labelled with "U.S. Patent 2,737,842" until 1962, which is the number issued to the 1952 Les Paul trapeze tailpiece design and not the humbucking pickups.[1] In 1966, Gibson began using automatic pickup winding machines, thus making humbucker pickups with a consistent number of turns and fixed DC resistance.

Early 1960's Gibson humbucker.

From wiki:

In July 1961, Gibson standardized the PAF construction process with the introduction of the SG model. With this, a new, smaller Alnico 5 magnet became standard. Also, a more formal number of wire winds was introduced, causing pickup impedance to center around 7.5kΩ. Around 1963, Gibson switched to polyurethane-coated wire from enamel-coated to cut costs, changing the wire color from purple to red. In addition, these pickups were also given a new sticker that had a patent number written on it. However, the stickers were labelled with "U.S. Patent 2,737,842" until 1962, which is the number issued to the 1952 Les Paul trapeze tailpiece design and not the humbucking pickups.[1] In 1966, Gibson began using automatic pickup winding machines, thus making humbucker pickups with a consistent number of turns and fixed DC resistance.

Do you really think its that old? I am thinking far east.

• 7 months later...

Probably it is a shaw. If the dc resistance is around 7.5, you have 3 hints that is a shaw: the dc resistance value, the white spacers and the brass screws holding the back plate. Moreover same late shaws have no ink date or code near the pat #.

First off, thanks to those who make this board possible and to those who generously share their knowledge.

Okay.... Despite having read many threads about these pat no. pickups, I'm still stuck as to what this one is. I got it as part of a trade with no info on it's pedigree. The top of the bobbins are plain, no "T". I don't see any other discernable markings.

Thanks for having a go at this.

Looks legit to me and I'd second the Shaw.

Archived