Gibson Brands Forums

Elvis Presley J-200 - Looking for opinions

MegoAPESnut

I have been looking to buy an Elvis J-200 Gibson guitar. I am a huge Elvis fan. My initial reason for wanting this particular guitar has changed, but I am really interested in obtaining one for collectability and display purposes at this point. I am considering the possibility that I will have to resell at some distant point down the line. I am hoping that situation doesn't arise, but I guess I should make my decision with the possibility in mind. Anyway, I have found a model in a guitar shop that has never been sold. The owner is attached to it and has it very nicely displayed in a curio cabinet. He is willing to sell, but with a hefty price tag of $10,000. There is also one on ebay that is used, the pick guard has very noticeable wear. The seller has it listed for $4999 with the make an offer option. I did some research and the few I have found that have sold within the past few years didn't get much more than $3000. So I made an offer of $3000 which was turned down. So, my question is, in my circumstances, which would you buy - The new, old stock, model (which would actually come with a warranty I really wouldn't need as it won't be getting used) at a cost of $10,000 or the used model which might cost up to $5000. I was also thinking of sending the used model to Gibson to have the pick guard replaced (if they will even do this) and maybe a general clean up. Which would you prefer? Which do you think will hold its value better? Would I be able to get $7000 or $8000 for the new model 10 years down the line, considering it will probably be the only one of the 250 that has never been played and is still in new condition? Any insight you can give will be greatly appreciated.

BTW, I sold a much loved and cherished Vendo 44 Coke Machine that was NOS and never used, to fund this guitar. I am thinking that everyone here would choose the guitar over the Coke machine.

Archived