Gibson Brands Forums

New Les Paul Trad arrived this morning. Should I return it?

grovesnor

Hi guys. I took delivery of my 2015 Les Paul Traditional today. Unfortunately it has a few issues.

I was just wondering if these are 'common' problems easily fixed or stuff that should command a return/exchange/refund?

I'm new to guitars and this was my first buy! [thumbup]

Here's the list of issues and some quick snaps of those issues:

1. Frets 7 and 14 have lifted(see attached pics)

2. The pickup selector is loose and wobbles around when in the central position.

3. The electronic cavity cover has been cut too small leaving a penny wide gap around the edges. Screws were not counter sunk, one is at an angle.

4. The fingerboard has scoring parallel to some of the frets which is clearly visible on frets #13, 14, 15, 16, 17 & 18

Cosmetic issues:

5. The maple has a run below the pickup selector (minor cosmetic but this is supposed to be AA top)

6. The neck joint is uneven and glue has seeped out and dried on the finish under the half lap joint (again cosmetic only but disappointing).

7. There is a dink in the lacquer below the 12th fret on the horn. Minor again but not acceptable on a new guitar.

8. The pick guard is covered in fine scratches, presumably from the factory. It did not have a plastic peel off coating on it.

Hi guys thanks for the replies. I was pretty surprised but then I was expecting a dud given the price paid was only £900.

I was suspicious initially and called them to clarify the fact it was not B grade or a sale return etc. They assured me all orders were dispatched from their warehouse etc. The box the guitar arrived in was from a German music store not the UK retailer I purchased from. Alarm bells ringing when I noticed the internal Gibson freight box had had the blue security tape cut already. My heart sank at that point as I knew what would be waiting for me inside the case.. *sigh

Guitar was dusty around the headstock and had smudges on it from paw prints etc.

Honestly my first impression was that this must be a fake. Or a cut n shut as it was so light. I had to go and put it on the bathroom scales to prove it was actually 9lbs. Weight relieved Gibsons must feel like toys. [mellow]

The first thing I checked was the fret dressing and noticed the two main issues. I had heard that changes in humidity and shipping can easily produce lifting edges etc. But then I noticed that there were no plastic covers on the pups or the scratchplate? Surely they come with that from the factory?

The dink I noticed next and tried to rub it away with a micro fiber cloth but its in to the lacquer sadly. [scared]

What did it for me though was the back plates. They are the cheapest nastiest plastic cut too small. I was shocked at that. Regardless of what I paid for it this is a 2k instrument. I've seen Korean guitars priced at £200 with powder coated steel backplates. Why is Gibson using this cheap nasty stuff on their premium guitars? Is it even?

Oh well. I have asked the retailer (a major UK wholesaler) for an exchange/swapout. I really want a 2015 Trad. I'll just sit tight and see what they say/send next.

If its another duffer, a refund and go buy the 2016 studio from Amazon. At least you know what you get with them and their no quibble returns policy is second to none.

No local shops where I live (middle of UK) that stock new Gibson. The only ones that do want list prices and won't offer comparable discounts to the online retailers sadly.

I don't want to jump on any band wagons here but I was completely blown away by the instrument. It sounds amazing even just accoustically. The tuner works fine and I had no issues with that and its so small and unobtrustive I really don't mind it being there.

The so called 'wider' neck actually felt a little clusterphobic. I had tried my brother's 90's Epiphone LP clone and it has a wider neck than this does. Again I know it sounds silly but it really surprised me how narrow it is. I was expecting a surfboard after reading all the reviews of 2015 models etc. In many ways I think I would prefer a wider neck than even this lol.

Just stunned by the back covers and the fret and fingerboard scoring etc. That should never have passed QC. It didn't even pass my visual inspection and I'm a total newbie. [biggrin]

The box the guitar arrived in was from a German music store not the UK retailer I purchased from. Alarm bells ringing when I noticed the internal Gibson freight box had had the blue security tape cut already. My heart sank at that point as I knew what would be waiting for me inside the case.. *sigh

But then I noticed that there were no plastic covers on the pups or the scratchplate? Surely they come with that from the factory?

What did it for me though was the back plates. They are the cheapest nastiest plastic cut too small. I was shocked at that. Regardless of what I paid for it this is a 2k instrument. I've seen Korean guitars priced at £200 with powder coated steel backplates. Why is Gibson using this cheap nasty stuff on their premium guitars? Is it even?

What's the dealer's name? Music Store Professional, Cologne, desperately try to sell their massive Gibson 2015 overstock at circa 45% discount.

All of my Gibsons came stock in factory-sealed cartons without plastic covers on pickups. My Epiphone, however, had them; I guess the Gibson PUs were delivered to China this way. Les Paul and Government Series Explorer pickguards didn't have protective peels on them stock, the others did.

I don't know about the 2015 model line back covers, but the previous ones had a smooth back. Perhaps they tried to address the static pops problem through grained plastic surfaces?

Hi guys thanks for the replies. I was pretty surprised but then I was expecting a dud given the price paid was only £900.

I was suspicious initially and called them to clarify the fact it was not B grade or a sale return etc. They assured me all orders were dispatched from their warehouse etc. The box the guitar arrived in was from a German music store not the UK retailer I purchased from. Alarm bells ringing when I noticed the internal Gibson freight box had had the blue security tape cut already. My heart sank at that point as I knew what would be waiting for me inside the case.. *sigh

Guitar was dusty around the headstock and had smudges on it from paw prints etc.

Honestly my first impression was that this must be a fake. Or a cut n shut as it was so light. I had to go and put it on the bathroom scales to prove it was actually 9lbs. Weight relieved Gibsons must feel like toys. [mellow]

The first thing I checked was the fret dressing and noticed the two main issues. I had heard that changes in humidity and shipping can easily produce lifting edges etc. But then I noticed that there were no plastic covers on the pups or the scratchplate? Surely they come with that from the factory?

The dink I noticed next and tried to rub it away with a micro fiber cloth but its in to the lacquer sadly. [scared]

Oh well. I have asked the retailer (a major UK wholesaler) for an exchange/swapout. I really want a 2015 Trad. I'll just sit tight and see what they say/send next.

If its another duffer, a refund and go buy the 2016 studio from Amazon. At least you know what you get with them and their no quibble returns policy is second to none.

No local shops where I live (middle of UK) that stock new Gibson. The only ones that do want list prices and won't offer comparable discounts to the online retailers sadly.

I don't want to jump on any band wagons here but I was completely blown away by the instrument. It sounds amazing even just accoustically. The tuner works fine and I had no issues with that and its so small and unobtrustive I really don't mind it being there.

The so called 'wider' neck actually felt a little clusterphobic. I had tried my brother's 90's Epiphone LP clone and it has a wider neck than this does. Again I know it sounds silly but it really surprised me how narrow it is. I was expecting a surfboard after reading all the reviews of 2015 models etc. In many ways I think I would prefer a wider neck than even this lol.

Just stunned by the back covers and the fret and fingerboard scoring etc. That should never have passed QC. It didn't even pass my visual inspection and I'm a total newbie. [biggrin]

Whereabouts are you based? Midlands?

Personally, I'd wait a little, save up a bit more, and go for a 2016 Traditional?

That LP is definitely not acceptable. I don't believe all those issues could have taken place during shipping. You need to return that guitar. I would only pay for a pro setup on a brand new guitar. I hope you have better luck with the next guitar you buy. In the guitar world nothing is more disappointing than ordering a new guitar, waiting for it to arrive, and then having to return it due to issues with the instrument.

There,'s no way that is acceptable but this particularly what you can get if you buy a guitar on line without seeing it. It really is important to do the leg work the UK is only a small place .

Holy crap. i just looked at your photos, Did you buy this New? or was it used. I have never, ever, freaking ever seen a New LP look like that. it looks like some one beat the **** out of it, I mean there is dead skin build-up on the on the fingerboard.

Could you post more pictures of the whole thing? I am not sure this is legit gibson, did anyone notice, there are no nibs on the ends of the frets?

The 2015 LP Traditionals are fretted over binding.

This. ^ [biggrin]

Its a genuine Gibson - just genuinely shocking. I have reboxed and repacked it ready to go back now but I'll put up some more pics if I have to open it up again for any reason.

The list of stuff I mentioned wasn't all that was wrong with it sadly. The vol/tone pots were all at different tensions which felt very odd. I have never experienced that before. Machine tightened nuts maybe?

Also the whole guitar was covered in very fine wood dust and white paste residue, like the stuff I put on my car, err, Autoglym I think its called. Resin polish. Makes sense they put that on the Nitro as it sets hard and helps prevent scratches penetrating the lacquer.

The screws on the back covers were all chewed with the one I mentioned being in at an angle having been forced down so hard it looks bent.

The scoring on the fretboard is presumably from someone crowning frets without a protector? Again I honestly suspect that was from the factory.

I didn't plug it in but the pups looked off too. The bridge was wound all the way up almost touching the strings and the bridge all the way down. Again odd?

Also the pole screws were all level and screwed right down flush with the covers.

I didn't look beneath the back plates. [biggrin]

The gunk on the frets is goodness knows what. The factory photograph (which doesn't look to be the same instrument - the top seems quite different) shows the fretboard absolutely drenched in oil. Presumably that is what the residue is.

FWIW I honestly think the retailer has sold me a guitar straight from the factory. They are a massive chain and from what I understand they don't have time to check stuff before they ship it out, it just isn't how they operate: stack em high sell em cheap. They also have to provide - by law - free no quibble returns on faulty goods. So again no incentive for them to ship junk knowingly.

Also the brass nut which is notorious for wearing in quick is pristine. So again, don't think it had been played before. The strings were factory fit too.

I have emailed the supplier and asked for a doorstep exchange. I haven't named them yet because it wouldn't be fair to blame them. Their service to date has been exactly what they promised: next day delivery via UPS. They did not reply yesterday to my exchange request but their website says they have 2 working days to respond. So I expect to hear from them Tuesday. Will see what they say. [thumbup]

Most of the issues I see listed aren't issues, or worth mentioning. Except to say, it depends on how one want to evaluate the quality of a guitar.

Some expect a flawless exterior, like a piece of woodwork or furniture. Nothing wrong with that. But it's how it is as a musical instrument that counts. Many of the "flaws" listed here are common to all "quality" musical instruments.

But the lifting frets, along with some of the other "flaws" listed point to a guitar that seems to have been fixed or repaired at some point. While grooves next to the frets aren't unusual (especially on a guitar with fret-dressings done by hand, or a re-fret), Gibson uses a PLEK on these, so a new one shouldn't have them on this particular model I think.

It probably WILL be a fine guitar if and when it's "fixed", but the point here is it needs fixing.

Whether or not it was fixed by Gibson, AT the Gibson plant, or by a distributor, dealer, or shop authorized, I wouldn't be quick to say it's a "used" guitar. New means hasn't been sold or owned. How it's listed in ones inventory, and who knew what of the history of this particular guitar...who knows.

But want to point out one thing: DON'T blame a dealer for opening a box to inspect a guitar, or expect to be sold a guitar untouched since it left the factory. It's a dealers JOB to do such, and if you want a flawless guitar in a box straight from the factory no one has ever opened, don't blame the dealer OR Gibson if it isn't right.

Do you want to deal with "fixing" this guitar or waiting while it gets put right? Is it that good besides? To me it makes more sense to send it back, let whoever fix it or make it "sell-able". Or ask for a really, really big discount while you pay for the repairs.

I suspect that the guitar has been bought and sold many times in the past few months.

And then re-packaged as new.

It's definitely not new out of the factory, and it is jacked up like modern American pop Country music.

I do hope that the company you bought it from does right by you, mate.

[mellow]

Most of the issues I see listed aren't issues, or worth mentioning. Except to say, it depends on how one want to evaluate the quality of a guitar.

If it were listed as B grade or as used/2nd hand I would adjust my expectations accordingly of course ..

When buying new items from stores I evaluate the quality based on it being shipped to me in perfect working order and exactly as described by both the company that manufactured it and the company that sold it.

In all instances for this guitar I see lots of glossy photos of perfect looking instruments. There are laws which cover what you can represent and what you can deliver I am certain. [thumbup]

I suspect that the guitar has been bought and sold many times in the past few months.

And then re-packaged as new.

It's definitely not new out of the factory, and it is jacked up like modern American pop Country music.

I do hope that the company you bought it from does right by you, mate.

[mellow]

It was sold as new by a major UK music retailer. So I'd honestly hope you're wrong about that. [unsure]

I wonder why they would make a change like that.

One of the many 2015 'innovations'. People complained that strings got stuck in the binding nibs. So they filed em off. Then people complained they filed em off.

I found this today. All the same issues mine has.

https://youtu.be/-EbOFJkFUCw

The mysterious crud all over the fingerboard. The white paste deposits. The awful fretjob and scoring etc.

This, I am afraid, leads me to believe that all of the faults with the instrument I received were factory faults. :unsure:

His feelings in summary totally echo my own too: mine is also an absolutely beautiful instrument and sounds wonderful. I wish I could keep it. <_<

I found this today. All the same issues mine has.

https://youtu.be/-EbOFJkFUCw

The mysterious crud all over the fingerboard. The white paste deposits. The awful fretjob and scoring etc.

This, I am afraid, leads me to believe that all of the faults with the instrument I received were factory faults. :unsure:

His feelings in summary totally echo my own too: mine is also an absolutely beautiful instrument and sounds wonderful. I wish I could keep it. <_<

My computer won't let me watch the vid now...dang.

This guitar here comes from a different factory than yours. There might be a lot more "handwork" than with yours, although I don't know if they use the PLEK or not for these.

Regarding yours that you got, from the Gibson USA line, the point is since these guitars are PLEK'd, it's unusual to see any tooling marks from handwork at all...thus it SEEMS the guitar required a fix at some point. Probably because of the same issue, and probably has the same issue.

If this is a bit confusing and you don't know what PLEK is, it's basically a big expensive machine that does the fret dressing. So basically, someone puts the frets in, and the machine does the rest.

My computer won't let me watch the vid now...dang.

This guitar here comes from a different factory than yours. There might be a lot more "handwork" than with yours, although I don't know if they use the PLEK or not for these.

Regarding yours that you got, from the Gibson USA line, the point is since these guitars are PLEK'd, it's unusual to see any tooling marks from handwork at all...thus it SEEMS the guitar required a fix at some point. Probably because of the same issue, and probably has the same issue.

If this is a bit confusing and you don't know what PLEK is, it's basically a big expensive machine that does the fret dressing. So basically, someone puts the frets in, and the machine does the rest.

Thanks for the info. I am certainly keeping an open mind but I think, honestly, this is too much of a coincidence. [thumbup]

Thanks for the info. I am certainly keeping an open mind but I think, honestly, this is too much of a coincidence. [thumbup]

It's got my curiosity.

My guess, my BEST guess, is that a number of guitars might have been returned, and/or "fixed" by the same person? Or maybe a number of guitars somehow got into a bad climate situation? But then, we are just talking about two.

See...that glue on the frets, I don't think it left the factory like that originally. As far as I know, the frets are not glued in initially. The only time glue would be used is if there is a problem fret. I could be wrong, because I don't honestly know for sure if Gibson is using glue for the frets. But it seems odd they would.

Not to mention, the mess of the glue on the frets is NOT common on guitars from Gibson. It just ain't something you see on them. In fact, this is the first I ever heard of it, let alone seen it.

Archived