Gibson Brands Forums

Union Jack fret buzz and other issues

mcinturf

Hi all. First post. Recently purchased an Epi Sheraton Union Jack from Amazon. I just couldn't pass up the deal. I haven't played in years but have been really wanting to get back in at least at a hobby level. My first shipment had major flaws, fret board was detaching from neck near headstock. Just received my second from a different seller through Amazon and though this guitar is in much better shape, there are still problems. Near the same area where the first was detaching, this guitar shows some stress on the neck. I'm getting some fret buzz on E2, 3rd fret unless I raise the action really high off the strings. I really don't have the experience to mess around with frets, truss rod and stuff like that. Should I just send this in for repair? Id hate to have to pay someone local for repairs on a brand new guitar and I actually paid a bit more for this second guitar. Frankly I'm quite disappointed at this point. I really liked the look and sound of this guitar. Recommendations? Thanks.

Id say don't take it for repair, take it for a evaluation.. Someone who knows what they are talking about should be able to spot the issues....

Its very probable that it just needs a truss rod adjustment.... I once looked at an Epiphone SG and that thing wouldn't stay in tune for a second and buzzed.. Literally by the time you tuned one string the previous one was out of tune..

I thought at first I was going to have to do some major work on it. But I took a notched straight edge too it and the neck was really bowed like one of the worst ive seen... I tightened it up and hey presto it all worked properly...

Heres some pics.. So you see at first you can see a gap in the middle

DSC_0865_zps3khuzrvz.jpg

and it starts like from the third fret which is really bad

DSC_0873_zpsax3b2oe7.jpg

And then after the trussrod tightening

DSC_0875_zpsxurzhvh8.jpg

DSC_0878_zpsuojk20sv.jpg

What you do with a trussrod and the most important thing is that you tighten it no more than a quarter of a turn clockwise at a time.. then look again and see what the results are.. If after a couple of small turns its still not getting better, then there may be something else wrong... The only way to muck it up totally is to tighten it too much too quick...

But obviously this is just a guess on my behalf.. id have to see it to be sure.. Check youtube, theres loads of vids about this subject.

I'd say if you like the guitar, it might pay to she'll out $ 50.00 bucks on a good setup. I'd check for a local person myself rather the big stores. There are usually some good guitar techs that work from their home and such. I'm about ready to take my swingster in, it's a year old. No issues at all with the stock setup, but I know my guitar guy can still make it a lot better.

One thing to keep in mind, these guitars are built in Asia. After there built, they can sit for months in a warehouse before beings shipped (whole different climent. Then a long boat ride, and sit in another ware house. In theory, some of these have "setup in the USA" where it's inspected and setup by epiphone. If it is, you would think they would catch issues and such during setup unless there just slopping through them. Then shipped to another warehouse... I didn't have any issues at all with mine, not to say others didn't. A good professional setup is worth it', I myself wouldn't mess with them. My guitar guy sees and hears things I never noticed. Well worth the 50 bucks.

Thanks for the replies guys. I contacted Epiphone regardless, as I have some physical damage and this is my 2nd union Jack. There are a few posts, particularly on Amazon, showing similar issues. Seems to be a QA problem with a batch from Korea. In the meantime, I will look for a local guy to have it set up. BTW, it's unusualy difficult to find an actual straight edge when you are looking for one. Apparently I have no rulers.;)

I went through 4 Union Jacks before I got one that didn't have fretboard seperation or cracks by the nut. Have the seller pack around the neck outside and inside the case. I think the issues with these are lack of a u shaped cradle under the neck/headstock area. You might also try a dealer like sweetwater they still have some in stock.

I don't get it.

I just took delivery of a Sheraton Pro II on Friday from Sweetwater.

None of these issues. in fact it's pretty much flawless. The packing job that sweetwater does is second to none. double boxed, and padding material up the wazoo.. took me 10 minutes to get the thing out of the shipping box.

I second the job that Sweetwater does. I bought a guitar from them recently and they did not have my model in the warehouse, but more were being flown in. They took the time after the new shipment arrived to allow the guitar to acclimate before it was given to a tech to set up and test before it got shipped out. They didn't just throw one in a shipping box and send it on it's way, as I am sure some places do. Very personal service from those guys; the same guy that got in touch with me for my first order still checks in with me every once in a while with offers or just to see how I'm doin'. Besides, they seem to have great deals all the time....

Good luck with your guitar, hope it works out.

The same guy that got in touch with me for my first order still checks in with me every once in a while with offers or just to see how I'm doin'.

yea, that's the way they roll. I've had the same sales rep for a long time now. IMHO, they are a bit ahead of Musicians Friend when it comes to the details like this. And for sure, Musicians Friend, for example... does not take the time to do a decent packing job. I've been surprised UPS hasn't destroyed a few of the guitars I've ordered from them. At this point Sweetwater has become the place I go for everything.

Archived