Gibson Brands Forums

In praise of the Sheraton II

old mark

I have owned a LOT of guitars since the early 1960's, and have played many more. One that really impresses me more and more the more I play it is my Epiphone Sheraton II. Mine is an older one, made by Samick in Korea, but I have seen newer China - made Sheris that seem just fine. I am in the process of setting up the pickups as well as I can get them...overall height and pole pieces, and this old thing seems like it can do anything.

DSCN1349_zps8s0ysj7a.jpg

I have played an old Gibson 335 some years ago in a shop where I worked and I was very impressed with it, and I am not going to contrast them. I just like Epiphone's design, how the neck is built and just the quality feel of their arch top guitars that really comes through in the Sheraton.

Just a fan rave.

I've been getting antsy for another one.

I had one similar to yours pictured in the original post. I should-a held on to it, I got a great deal on it as I was teaching at music store when I ordered it, they gave me an insane discount..

I have owned a LOT of guitars since the early 1960's, and have played many more. One that really impresses me more and more the more I play it is my Epiphone Sheraton II. Mine is an older one, made by Samick in Korea, but I have seen newer China - made Sheris that seem just fine. I am in the process of setting up the pickups as well as I can get them...overall height and pole pieces, and this old thing seems like it can do anything.

I have played an old Gibson 335 some years ago in a shop where I worked and I was very impressed with it, and I am not going to contrast them. I just like Epiphone's design, how the neck is built and just the quality feel of their arch top guitars that really comes through in the Sheraton.

Just a fan rave.

Samick made some fine instruments in that era. I still think my Samick-made G-400 can hold its own with any Gibson now that I upgraded the electronics. I had an original "Epiphone By Gibson" Sheraton II that I still regret selling.

Samick made some fine instruments in that era. I still think my Samick-made G-400 can hold its own with any Gibson now that I upgraded the electronics. I had an original "Epiphone By Gibson" Sheraton II that I still regret selling.

I found mine - the one in the original post - on Guitar Center's Used Gear site for under $400 with the original factory case not quite a year ago. That color once was their Vintage Sunburst, and it looks great to me, too.

DSCN1331_zps8746fc43.jpg

Did not know it was a Samick when I bought it, only that it was an older one...I have owned several of the 1990's Samic Artist Series guitars, including one of their big jazz boxes, and they will stand up against anything else...very high quality and great sounding guitars!

ok guys, it's confession time. since I've been trolling around quite a bit for one of these, had a little chat with the finance committee,

it was approved.

Bought a natural one, some nice grain on the top.

Sweetwater has already taken the one I bought off the site, so I can't forward their pics atm.

according to Stuart, (my sweetwater rep) sometime friday he suspects.

PICs and an NGD post are forth coming

ok guys, it's confession time. since I've been trolling around quite a bit for one of these, had a little chat with the finance committee,

it was approved.

Bought a natural one, some nice grain on the top.

Sweetwater has already taken the one I bought off the site, so I can't forward their pics atm.

according to Stuart, (my sweetwater rep) sometime friday he suspects.

PICs and an NGD post are forth coming

You gonna like it!

Seems like Epiphone is no longer making the old Sheraton II, but only the Sheraton II Pro, which has different pickups, pull-push coil splitters, different nut and maybe a few other things I missed.

http://www.epiphone.com/Products/Electrics/Archtop/Sheraton-II-PRO.aspx

Don't know what the price difference is, but I will keep my old one anyway.

yea, the new/improved electronics is really what's pushed me this way again. I've heard these pups in some 339s and a such, they are quite respectable.

this is my second one, I bought one back in the mid 90s, held on to it for a few years, but wound up selling it,

the pickups were a bit on the muddy side, but overall it was a decent player.

here's a Sweetwater photo of the one en route.

1505203440-front-large_zpsptcmitrm.jpg

As much as I love my 92 Sheraton II, and I do love it a ton, it's been replaced in my favorite Epi semi category by the Nick Valensi Riviera I picked up earlier this year. I had always wished my Sherry was outfitted with a frequensator and single coil pickups, and the Valensi has both. It truly was an outstanding buy. My only beef is that once I actually heard Valensi play, I didn't care to have his name glaring at me every time I played, so the autographed truss rod cover on mine sits upside down with the underside showing.

I considered trying out the new Sheraton Pro model, but I am not too fond of the overly hot current crop of Epi pickups. Some of us older dinosaurs still dig the sound of a slightly mellower and darker sounding pickup.

yea, the new/improved electronics is really what's pushed me this way again. I've heard these pups in some 339s and a such, they are quite respectable.

this is my second one, I bought one back in the mid 90s, held on to it for a few years, but wound up selling it,

All the best with it!!!

As much as I love my 92 Sheraton II, and I do love it a ton, it's been replaced in my favorite Epi semi category by the Nick Valensi Riviera I picked up earlier this year. I had always wished my Sherry was outfitted with a frequensator and single coil pickups, and the Valensi has both. It truly was an outstanding buy. My only beef is that once I actually heard Valensi play, I didn't care to have his name glaring at me every time I played, so the autographed truss rod cover on mine sits upside down with the underside showing.

Love the P94s on the Valensi Riviera.

I too altered the TRC by swapping it out for a black "e" logo cover.

I woud really like to hear what you think of the new Pro version when you have had a chance to get comfy with it!

Archived