Gibson Brands Forums

new and need a little help. 59 les paul

ral301301

Hello all. Newbie here. Thanks for taking the time to read my post. I need a little help. My wife and I just inherited 12 guitars from her dad. Sopposedly there are some 50 and 60 strays and telies but tgere are some gibson as well. One being what he calls a 59 les paul flame top and another a 60's model les paul flame top. There are a few things on the 59 that looks correct but one thung that concerns me is the neck,headstock and back of guitar looks like it's been refinished at some point.there is a logo on the headstock but no serial number. Looks like it's been sanded off. I don't know but I was hoping to post some pics and maybe someone can give me an opinion. The 60'model he says was,a gibson factory second. It has no logo or serial number. Now I asked around about this factory second thing and was told it couldn't happen. He contends that he had a friend that got the guitar out the factory way back then. It all sounds sketchy to me but I guess anything is poss. Anyway if someone would be so kind to tell me either where I can take these guitars to get a good solid opinion or if I post pics of these what do you need to see in order to make a pretty good opinion. I think they are fake but he contends thar when he was playing it was about what sounded good good not keeping them in original condition. Any help will be appreciated. Just let me know what you need to see. Thanks

Hello and welcome to the Forums.

High resolution pictures will be needed for identification of these instruments. Please upload some to a cloud service (like Photobucket), and insert the IMG-code into Your post.

The overall body shape, the headstock back and front view, and close-up of the bridge/tailpiece are the important points.

"Factory second" instruments were only released during the Norlin-era ('68-'86) of Gibson history. These instruments had minor cosmetic flaws, and were often sold to Gibson employees back then.

Best wishes... Bence

the 59 that looks correct but one thung that concerns me is the neck,headstock and back of guitar looks like it's been refinished at some point.there is a logo on the headstock but no serial number.

This could have been from a repair due to a snapped headstock, a common problem for any Gibson that's fallen off a stand or been dropped.

Get a photobucket account, (free) and post pics.

this thread has more info on how to do this.

http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/11005-sticky-how-to-post-photos/

Archived