Gibson Brands Forums

ES-335 studio vs DOT - is there a difference?

Javasan01

Hi everyone, I've searched high and low for reviews comparing the ES-335 Studio and ES-335 DOT. So far I am coming up empty-handed so I've decided to turn to the members site and see if anyone has both and can offer some experienced feedback on both guitars. I understand there are 2 separate vol/tone knobs on the DOT as compared to one of each on the Studio, and I further understand the visual difference with the finishing touches (bindings, et al). What I am trying to determine is if there are any tangible differences in playability or tone. Unfortunately I've gone through 4 different guitar stores in my area (Houston) and am as yet unable to make a side by side comparison.

Any feedback would be appreciated :)

I have not had a chance to play the 335 studio, but looking at Sweetwater's photo of the 335 studio they are selling, it has a dirty fingers pickup in the bridge position only, instead of the traditional 57 classic pickups in the bridge and neck positions. I don't believe you could obtain a warm jazz sound with a dirty finger pickup located in the bridge position.

• 4 weeks later...

Tone will be different with only one volume knob and a Dirty Fingers pup. The Dot will have lower out put pups, will probably sound sweeter. I personally use both volume knobs to blend the pups in the middle position and would not buy a two pup Gibson without two volume knobs

As a Dot player I glanced at ads for the Studio...

Any comparisons regarding tone and playability would be somewhat subjective

If a serious purchase is under consideration then obviously a hands-on trial would be recommended.... [thumbup]

The Studio is offered as a lower price entre into the 335 world and may well be just what some players are looking for

Enjoy the chase

99% of the time you get what you pay for.... <_<

V

:-({|=

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Just a brief update. I tried both models and in the end decided to go for a Satin 335 DOT. I was concerned about the tonal shaping abilities of the Studio, but more importantly I loved the look and feel of the DOT. Besides, there is something about those 57's which speak to me :)

Thanks for the feedback everyone, it was really appreciated!

Archived