Gibson Brands Forums

NGD!

StangaSteve

Hi all I'm new here and hoping for some help... I emailed Customer service but did not get a reply so I thought I'd ask my question here....

After MANY years of waiting I've finally aquired my first Gibson Les Paul.

A 2012 Studio model.

Everything I've read seems to indicated that 2012 studios all had push/pull pots for coil tapping however mine does not... I opened the control cavity and see 4 Gibson stamped pots on a Gibson stamped circuit board and all wiring looks legit and original so i do not believe anything was changed.... just wondering why this 2012 model does not have the coil split

Any assistance would be appreciated

Thanks!!

Hello there...

Congrats on your new LP.

Pictures would help a lot... You don't get much space when you upload media directly to the forum so most of us use http://www.photobucket.com once uploaded to there copy the IMG link it gives you directly in to your post..

[thumbup]

There are various different studio models like a faded, a general studio or maybe one of the tribute models.

Hello there...

Congrats on your new LP.

Pictures would help a lot... You don't get much space when you upload media directly to the forum so most of us use http://www.photobucket.com once uploaded to there copy the IMG link it gives you directly in to your post..

[thumbup]

There are various different studio models like a faded, a studio or maybe one of the tribute models.

Thanks for the reply! I couldn't figure out how to upload a picture at time of posting... since posting my question however I received a reply from Gibson indicating that my serial number was and early 2012 model with 490R/498T pick ups and it indeed did NOT have the coil tapping....

So I am all set!

Thanks again for the reply!

Here is my Studio:

https://app.box.com/s/mm6ibhg4njqy3oiadw734wp8kzgamxp3

Thanks for the reply! I couldn't figure out how to upload a picture at time of posting... since posting my question however I received a reply from Gibson indicating that my serial number was and early 2012 model with 490R/498T pick ups and it indeed did NOT have the coil tapping....

So I am all set!

Thanks again for the reply!

Here is my Studio

No worries... Gibson are usually pretty good at getting back to people with this info [thumbup]

But you can still upload pics if you like, we always appreciate the eye candy on here :)

No worries... Gibson are usually pretty good at getting back to people with this info [thumbup]

But you can still upload pics if you like, we always appreciate the eye candy on here :)

Lol thought I had attached a picture but it must have been too large... added link to my original reply 👍👍

Lol thought I had attached a picture but it must have been too large... added link to my original reply ����

Ohh...sweet..

They often stick gold hardware on that sort of dark colour (and the wine red ones).. But man it looks so much cooler with the chrome... Sweet.. And it looks like you may have one of the granadillo fingerboards.. which I kinda like, it provides a nice contrast being a bit lighter than rosewood.. And I tried a few of those, I thought it was a really nice rosewood replacement (cos Gibson was having issues with their rosewood supply and the US government at the time)..

Enjoy her [thumbup]

Congrats She's a beauty. What's her name?

Every guitar needs a name :rolleyes:

Well, I,ve really ever named one of the many guitars I've owned over the years. My CIJ J. Mascis Jazzmaster is called "The J Squig" (on account of the "squiggly nature of his signature on the back of the headstock)

As for the new Les Paul, I think I'll get to know it a bit before I decide if it will get a name, but if it does it will be something influenced by its ability ability to go from sweet to mean at the flick of a switch... so..... my Wife?........ Daughter? (I can edit these posts right? Lol)

Ohh...sweet..

They often stick gold hardware on that sort of dark colour (and the wine red ones).. But man it looks so much cooler with the chrome... Sweet.. And it looks like you may have one of the granadillo fingerboards.. which I kinda like, it provides a nice contrast being a bit lighter than rosewood.. And I tried a few of those, I thought it was a really nice rosewood replacement (cos Gibson was having issues with their rosewood supply and the US government at the time)..

Enjoy her [thumbup]

I also prefer the chrome to the gold as a rule, The fingerboard is indeed the granadillo which honestly didn't matter to me at all, it feels great to me and I feel that it is a suitable alternative to rosewood. It is a bit lighter in color but apparently it will darken up over time... but really none of that mattered... just finally having the real deal was enough for me. Makes me sad to think about all the money I spent on Epi LPs over the years when I could have just spent a little bit more and bought an actual Gibson.... oh well that's all in the "before time"..... now it's the "now time"

"2012 model with 490R/498T pick ups"

I really like those pickups. I have a 2009 Studio LP with those (mine also does not have the coil tapping). Studios are great, understated beauties.

Agreed! I had a faded SG for a bit with these pickups and never got the urge to change them... didn't really like the SG that much though so it went...

So far I'm very happy with the studio... I still wish it would magically turn into a 58 VOS plaintop in tobacco burst) but in lieu of that happy little miracle.....😧 I guess it'll do..... 😜...

Seriously though it's great 👍👍

The fingerboard is indeed the granadillo...

New to the jargon used in making Gibsons. What is "Granadillo"?

Sounds like a big armadillo, but they are an endangered species so it wouldn't be that.

Some kind of Man made Material?

Or another variety of wood?

Looks good, whatever it is. Nice contrast to the black body.

Answered my own Question:

Granadillo – or Brya ebenus – is a natural choice for fingerboards. It's a straight-grained, dense wood from Cuba, which is known as “the wood that sings” and is also used for the creation of marimba tone bars.

Archived