Gibson Brands Forums

SG standard p90 2016 T

Jens von Bust

Tried a new sg standard p90 2016 T yesterday... it is fantastic! That neck! I mean established 1884 and it took you this long to figure it out?

P90s rock.

Sg rock.

The 2016 T rocks.

Gibson, from the bottom of my heart; thank you!!

http://www.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/2016/USA/SG-Standard-P-90.aspx

I've got my eye on one, as well. But I really have no immediate "need" for another SG with P90s.

• 2 weeks later...

I've got my eye on one, as well. But I really have no immediate "need" for another SG with P90s.

I'm really liking these Standards with P90's! I have an -08 Classic with P90's and that thing screams and also has a pretty chunky neck, which makes it really stable. Post up some pics!

• 3 weeks later...

I'm really liking these Standards with P90's! I have an -08 Classic with P90's and that thing screams and also has a pretty chunky neck, which makes it really stable. Post up some pics!

It's just a matter of time before I succumb and order one of these. I could buy one now, with some gift cards and my company discount... probably wouldn't cost me anything out -of-pocket. But I feel like I should exercise restraint... for once.

[biggrin]

• 2 weeks later...

I am suffering from some serious GAS over this P90 Standard.... I am even considering selling my '50s Tribute to fund the purchase (would I really need two P90-equipped SGs?).

But after all the love and attention I put into my'50s Tribute (had a pick guard made for her, added a Bigsby—albeit with a Vibramate), it would seem a shame to say goodbye to her.

Hmmmmmmmm......

The wheels in my head have been spinning…

I have ideas of getting one of these P90 Standards, and replacing the neck P90 with a mini humbucker. Got the idea from the Robby Krieger Les Paul that Gibson put out some years back. His LP was outfitted in the same way.

SGS90HCCH1_MAIN_HERO_01_zps7cuxqzww.jpg

SGS90HCCH1_PLASTICS_FRONT_zpszv4mzluo.jpg

Isn't the new P90 Standard basically the same guitar as the "Classic"?

cosmetically not exaclty.

the classic has bean machine heads, and dot inlays.

the new P90 has the standard gibson neck inlays and machine heads

here's a pic of my 2006 classic for comparison

SGClassic2006.jpg

cosmetically not exaclty.

the classic has bean machine heads, and dot inlays.

the new P90 has the standard gibson neck inlays and machine heads

here's a pic of my 2006 classic for comparison

SGClassic2006.jpg

Cool! That's a nice guitar. I love the dot necks over the parallelogram inlays. If I had my druthers, I'd get a Classic.

So yeah, I was thinking of the previous incarnation of the SG Standard P90... which was available up until around 2012(?) and then discontinued:

http://www.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/SG/Gibson-USA/SG-Standard-P-90.aspx

I'm not sure how the build years read for this. I picked up that one in 2006, I am not sure how much longer those ran. I thought they also introduced a Faded variant that had P90s at some point.

it is a fun guitar tho. the p90s are a good kind of NASTY

Archived