Gibson Brands Forums

Ebay and other online buying stuff

SteveT2

I like to cruise Ebay, Musicians Friend, etc just to see whats out there. But I just cant bring myself to spend 1000+ bucks on something I haven't seen or touched to someone I don't know. Who has just electronically gotten my money even if I sent it to them myself. Yeah, I know there are satisfaction guarantees and all that, but still. Could it be because Im old or something ? Please tell me I'm not the only one. As soon as I find a new house I plan on getting a Lester for a housewarming gift to me.

I'm kinda the other side of the coin Steve, where I live we don't have any major music stores and the small shops don't seem to offer what I'm looking for most of the time. So almost all of the guitars I own were bought off of The Internet, only seen in pictures and never played. I've actually been lucky. So far I haven't gotten a bad one yet. Or had any break in shipping.

I guess there will always be the question of whether I got THE RIGHT ONE is always there. I mean I didn't have the opportunity to play 6 seemingly identical guitars and pick the one that played/sounded best. But I don't think I own any turds either.(As compared to my poor guitars who ended up in the clutches of a half-arsed player.)

So I guess I would say, if you can go to the shops & pick em up & play em, you have a better chance of not getting a dud. But if you're careful and buy from eBay or Reverb or any of the major music shops, you should do well and if you are not happy their policies should allow you to return anything you are unhappy with.

Good luck in your house search and new guitar.

D

I've bought from both local stores and Sweetwater,MF and Zzounds....The local store is a Sam Ash in New Haven......

When I go there they only have one of the guitar and it's on the wall....nothing to compare same models..ever...it sucks....When I read that people suggest to try as many as possible to compare them.....I say to myself, where is that store?

I have no problem buying from a reputable online dealer but not ebay.

I don't like to buy a guitar, sight unseen. But, sometimes the deals are too good to pass up. I often find that guitars bought through the internet, are very poorly set-up. That's never been a problem for me, as I've always done my own set-ups.

The best guitar I've even owned, is the Starla pictured below. I bought it through ebay, from a dealer, that mostly sold over the internet. It was my third Starla. The first was bought new, but it had been hanging in a store for over a year. It had a few minor dings, and they reduced the price accordingly. The second was bought used, from MF. It was in better shape than the first (new) guitar, but it was about a pound heavier. The third Starla was the best, light, great sounding, in perfect condition. Plus, I got it for about $700 under the normal price. I still own two Starla's. The second one was traded for an SG Diablo Premium Plus.

411565336.jpg

I'm kinda the other side of the coin Steve, where I live we don't have any major music stores and the small shops don't seem to offer what I'm looking for most of the time. So almost all of the guitars I own were bought off of The Internet, only seen in pictures and never played. I've actually been lucky. So far I haven't gotten a bad one yet. Or had any break in shipping.

I guess there will always be the question of whether I got THE RIGHT ONE is always there. I mean I didn't have the opportunity to play 6 seemingly identical guitars and pick the one that played/sounded best. But I don't think I own any turds either.(As compared to my poor guitars who ended up in the clutches of a half-arsed player.)

So I guess I would say, if you can go to the shops & pick em up & play em, you have a better chance of not getting a dud. But if you're careful and buy from eBay or Reverb or any of the major music shops, you should do well and if you are not happy their policies should allow you to return anything you are unhappy with.

Good luck in your house search and new guitar.

D

I am fortunate in the fact that are 3 fairly well stocked music stores within 20 minutes. Plus a few other small ones but the smaller ones generally are slim pickings. Thanks, the house search is tricky. Stuff in my price range goes fast

I've bought from both local stores and Sweetwater,MF and Zzounds....The local store is a Sam Ash in New Haven......

When I go there they only have one of the guitar and it's on the wall....nothing to compare same models..ever...it sucks....When I read that people suggest to try as many as possible to compare them.....I say to myself, where is that store?

I have no problem buying from a reputable dealer but not ebay.

Luckily there are 3 stores close by that have decent stock most of the time and a few others that are good for strings and stuff but that's about all

I don't like to buy a guitar, sight unseen. But, sometimes the deals are too good to pass up. I often find that guitars bought through the internet, are very poorly set-up. That's never been a problem for me, as I've always done my own set-ups.

The best guitar I've even owned, is the Starla pictured below. I bought it through ebay, from a dealer, that mostly sold over the internet. It was my third Starla. The first was bought new, but it had been hanging in a store for over a year. It had a few minor dings, and they reduced the price accordingly. The second was bought used, from MF. It was in better shape than the first (new) guitar, but it was about a pound heavier. The third Starla was the best, light, great sounding, in perfect condition. Plus, I got it for about $700 under the normal price. I still own two Starla's. The second one was traded for an SG Diablo Premium Plus.

411565336.jpg

Not really familiar with the Starla but that's one nice looking guitar. Bet she plays well too. I got my SG, a 2012 in 2014, it was just hanging in the store for over a year so I got a sweet price on it so I took it. Wanted a LP but couldn't pass up the SG. So I'll have 3 nice players, have an Am Std Strat too. Worse things could happen I guess

Archived