Gibson Brands Forums

Ebay and other online buying stuff

SteveT2

I like to cruise Ebay, Musicians Friend, etc just to see whats out there. But I just cant bring myself to spend 1000+ bucks on something I haven't seen or touched to someone I don't know. Who has just electronically gotten my money even if I sent it to them myself. Yeah, I know there are satisfaction guarantees and all that, but still. Could it be because Im old or something ? Please tell me I'm not the only one. As soon as I find a new house I plan on getting a Lester for a housewarming gift to me.

You must be doing pretty good to be ready to buy a house and then a 1K or more guitar after buying one of the most expensive things (a house) most people buy.

Not really. The only reason I can afford a house is my parents died so I can afford to throw down a nice down payment. And that's probably just going to be an average little condo. Single family homes in my price range generally need more repairs than I want to do, even though I'm in construction myself. So when I find the right place I'll be able to at least get something I've been wanting for decades but never got. Mom and Dad would be pretty happy I think. Not the way I would have liked things to go however.

If it's something I really want, it doesn't bother me to buy without seeing or playing it. It would only bother me if the item was not as described.

I might be able to buy new online. Used stuff is kind of scary even in person unless I know the seller personally.

The difference between a guitar that really has that "feel" is something that pics and descriptions just don't show.

To me, it makes no sense at all to buy a guitar I haven't played.

I'm with you on that. Take 5 of the supposedly same guitars and you'll get at least one or two that stand out from the rest

I'm always in two minds about this.

One one side I completely agree that one shouldn't really buy a guitar without having first laid hands upon it, and given it a test drive.

But on the latter; sometimes a deal comes up that seems to good to pass on, and letting it go to someone else means you're kicking yourself for a week out of foolishness.

I guess one thing that sways it is that I've been stung on eBay before, and now I'm careful to look for items in the EU as an absolutely maximum distance; if it's local I can go and have a look, etc.

I'm always in two minds about this.

One one side I completely agree that one shouldn't really buy a guitar without having first laid hands upon it, and given it a test drive.

But on the latter; sometimes a deal comes up that seems to good to pass on, and letting it go to someone else means you're kicking yourself for a week out of foolishness.

I guess one thing that sways it is that I've been stung on eBay before, and now I'm careful to look for items in the EU as an absolutely maximum distance; if it's local I can go and have a look, etc.

Buying new here isn't an issue,there are a few pretty well stocked stores in easy driving distance. They all carry used also but I notice that a lot of those aren't much less than new. I don't know if you have Craigslist or an equivalent there but that's a crapshot at best. You're about as likely to get robbed as to actually get what you looking for

But I just cant bring myself to spend 1000+ bucks on something I haven't seen or touched to someone I don't know.

I've got most of my guitars off ebay (but most are less than $1,000). When a Masterbilt is described as in excellent condition, it has turned out to be in excellent condition!

Ive taken this risk twice. I was lucky both times. The 1st time was a low value guitar from Thomann Germany, the next time a high value one from Amazon uk.

In both transactions I knew I ran the risk of getting a poor item. I also knew I could return them if I wasn't happy.

The first time it was uneconomical to travel to the other end of the country to try out the model (there were none locally). The 2nd time was a very attractive purchase price.

The best way is always a shop. A shop I traveled to once (a days journey) had ordered in a Godin Guitar from Canada for me. There was no penalty if I didn't like it. Sadly it turned out to be a poor example of the model. I declined the guitar but still spent a fair bit of money in the shop to make us both feel a little better.

Risk is always a bit unsettling.

I don't (generally) buy guitars "on line!" I like to play as many of the same model, as I can, to find the "right one," for me!

And, I have a great dealer, so it's really not an issue. I have purchased "pedals," and other items, on line. But, only those

that my dealer doesn't stock.

CB

Pedals I don't have a big problem with even though I've never bought on online, you pretty know much know what you're getting. And even if it is messed up, reboxing them isn't too much trouble. A guitar on the other hand, well that's a huge pain in the butt

Ive taken this risk twice. I was lucky both times. The 1st time was a low value guitar from Thomann Germany, the next time a high value one from Amazon uk.

In both transactions I knew I ran the risk of getting a poor item. I also knew I could return them if I wasn't happy.

The first time it was uneconomical to travel to the other end of the country to try out the model (there were none locally). The 2nd time was a very attractive purchase price.

The best way is always a shop. A shop I traveled to once (a days journey) had ordered in a Godin Guitar from Canada for me. There was no penalty if I didn't like it. Sadly it turned out to be a poor example of the model. I declined the guitar but still spent a fair bit of money in the shop to make us both feel a little better.

Risk is always a bit unsettling.

I think your last sentence pretty well sums it up. Where I live there are enough places to go in person without putting the X factor in the equation

Archived