Gibson Brands Forums

Help Buying a Les Paul Needed

Pedro Cardoso

Hi all,

In 2011 I had a Gibson Les Paul Faded Worn Brown, and I sold it in 2012. I wasn't impressed with the quality control on this guitar. Now Gibson has launched the same model again, but has the QC improved ?

As I am seeing the prices of the LP 2015 falling down, I am quite tempted to buy a 2015 instead of a 2016 (Les Paul Faded again...maybe). The 2015 models are now cheaper, they include a case instead of a gigbag and G'Force tuner (which I don't care if it is there or not).

So I have these in my list, any advice ?

- Gisbon LP Faded 2016

- Gibson LPM 2015

- Gibson LP Studio 2015

Cheers,

Pedro

Guest Farnsbarns

Hi all,

In 2011 I had a Gibson Les Paul Faded Worn Brown, and I sold it in 2012. I wasn't impressed with the quality control on this guitar. Now Gibson has launched the same model again, but has the QC improved ?

As I am seeing the prices of the LP 2015 falling down, I am quite tempted to buy a 2015 instead of a 2016 (Les Paul Faded again...maybe). The 2015 models are now cheaper, they include a case instead of a gigbag and G'Force tuner (which I don't care if it is there or not).

So I have these in my list, any advice ?

- Gisbon LP Faded 2016

- Gibson LPM 2015

- Gibson LP Studio 2015

Cheers,

Pedro

If you're asking if the QC has got better to the point that now there's no chance whatsoever of you getting a guitar you don't like when buying site unseen, no, no one's QC is that good. Go and see them and buy one you're happy to buy.

The same answer applies to which guitar you should buy.

in this case, yeah playing it is important because of the 2015 neck. but older stuff, they all have specific profiles so you can know what you're getting. after that buying sight unseen is not the risk it's made out to be. if you're familiar with gibson profiles (it's not like there's that many of them on the lp in the last decade) you know what to expect. after that is only a matter of quality control and set up.

I'm in the same boat.

In the end I decided to get a 2016 faded T because I don't like the 2015 aesthetics.

2015 Studio -

- PCB innards

- Modern weight relief

- Hard case

- Tuner

- Brass Nut

- Wider neck

- 57's w/ push pull

- Gloss finish

- Hideous headstock defacement

- Will be harder to sell on

2016 Faded T -

- PCB innards

- Modern weight relief

- Thin satin finish

- Burstbuckers with NO push pull

- Trad neck width

- Gig bag

- Regular nut

- Traditional headstock relief

- Easier to sell on

For roughly the same price, the 2015's is a much better deal if you can handle the looks, neck and the robo tuner imho.

It has arguably better pups, a better finish, a proper case and the zero fret nut is kinda neat.

Here in the EU you can get a 2015 SG Standard for the same price (+£50 or so) as a 2016 Faded T. That is a massive amount of guitar for £700 and should be a no brainer if you are on a budget. [thumbup]

Ultimately it comes down to what you want your guitar to sound like and look like. There is a world of difference in tone and versatility between 57's with coil splitting and burstbucker pros without. I personally prefer Burstbuckers attack and punch in a LP, as for me its more what I associate with the Les Paul 'sound' but I think the 57's represent better value in the 15's.

I also would say buying sight unseen is no big deal - at least here in the UK - you can just send it back if its not 100% perfect. The only drawback to it is that your money will be tied up for 5-10 days if you need to return it. Its obviously easier to buy one you've picked out based on looks, feel and sound though. That is going to be both more expensive (retail stores charge close to rrp mostly) and in the UK require you to travel.

I think also you need to consider if at the end of 2015, those guitars left unsold and heavily discounted might be the ones with questionable QC or the return-re-sales or the ones nobody bought off the peg. Or might be direct from the factory. Gamble it is.

I reckon on current prices and buying from the big etailers you can get a genuine Les Paul and a nice 15-30w tube amp for less than a grand. That's pretty amazing whatever you end up getting. :-({|=

I went to the local store which had reduced the 2015 models. I actually love the 2015 models.

I was really interested in the LP Standard. It had the red wine candy finish I liked and had all the pickup config I could wish for, including the Peter Green out of phase option.

I played it with every kind of tonal option on both guitar and amp. It beat me. I couldnt find any sound that appealed to me.

If this had been a mail order selection I would have bought it. Fortunately, I had chance to try it out. It turns out the pickups didnt appeal to me. I then tried out a cheaper LP with different pups that won me over completely. It is so important to try to play these guitars if you possibly can.

So if you are interested in a 2015 I think now is a perfect time to get one at a bargain. The wood selection is muck better than previous years.

But as others have stated. Play them first.

Hi Engineer,

Thanks a lot for your reply. Do you think the quality of the wood in 2015 is any different from previous years ? I thought it should be roughly the same ...

Here in the UK the prices of the 2015 guitars are as low as 50% less than the original price. An LPM costs, in some stores, 415 GBP, LP Less Plus 720 GBP and the LP Classic 799 GBP !! Some months ago I would have to payed 800 GBP for the LPM and 1600 for the Classic !! I will try the Classic along to the ones I have mentioned above.

I hope to be impressed by the classic in every aspect.

Cheers,

Pedro

I hope to be impressed by the classic in every aspect.

I know I was. Got the Classic instead of the Studio.

Judging wood quality is quite fickle I think. Especially for amateurs such as ourselves.

I think we can judge how nice a wood looks to us, but ultimately you have to play it. If it feels good to you, then it is, by definition, good.

For the 2015 line they generally chose nicer looking woods for lesser costing models. But as always, YMMV.

Just ordered a classic today myself. £795 delivered. Darn good deal! Heritage cherry. Planning to put the tone pot back and remove the robo tuner and screw on a proper pick guard. Get rid of the naff gold scrawl truss rod cover for a blank. Change the pups for a JB and 57 or maybe some knuckles PG PAFS. Have a half decent guitar then hopefully. :)

Just ordered a classic today myself. £795 delivered. Darn good deal! Heritage cherry. Planning to put the tone pot back and remove the robo tuner and screw on a proper pick guard. Get rid of the naff gold scrawl truss rod cover for a blank. Change the pups for a JB and 57 or maybe some knuckles PG PAFS. Have a half decent guitar then hopefully. :)

Is the switch on it a coil tap or a boost switch? If it's the boost switch and you're willing to part with it; DIBS! msp_biggrin.gif

The guitars are going fast. DV247.com has only two colours available, and have even dropped the price to 699 GBP on the LP Less Plus. Really nice deals here in the UK.

On the site of DV247 they say the pickups are 61's Zebra, but Gibson website says 57. I sent an e-mail to DV247 and they told me the information on their website is wrong, however other websites have the same description, for example Dawsons. So which are the pickups on the Classic 2015, does anybody know ?

Cheers,

Pedro

Seems like you'll be replacing half the guitar anyway [biggrin]

Are you replacing the pick guard because you want different PUPs?

That is a great deal though. Even better value than mine. Well done.

Seems like you'll be replacing half the guitar anyway [biggrin]

Are you replacing the pick guard because you want different PUPs?

That is a great deal though. Even better value than mine. Well done.

Just replacing the pick guard because the detachable one is poor man. The one on the trad was made of the cheapest plastic I had seen in ages and sits almost flush not proud so it looks wrong too. The teeth were deforming in the time I had it (about a week). It wouldn't have been long before it was wobbling around and/or broken. It also leaves big holes in the pup covers when removed which are clearly visible and also look rubbish imho. I absolutely hate it. Its lazy design and like a surprising number of items in the 2015 range the materials are painfully cheap and tacky. [thumbdn]

I don't mind drilling two small holes and fitting the real deal. I don't think it will affect the value as, frankly, I don't imagine people will be lining up to buy this years models for a long time to come. Gibson are making so many now too there won't be a shortage for collector's either.

Play before pay is wise....but age of strings make a huge difference. I've bought a handful of Gibson and Heritage guitars online that sounded meh until I put new strings on them. How can you tell if one LP sounds better than another when the strings'

age make such a diff?

Got my DV247.com Classic today. There's a slight knot in the maple top but I don't care (really I don't tbh).

The high E has some slight buzz if you give a good whack. Don't be fooled by the 'factory setup' rubbish. This will still need adjusting and fret levelling/dresssing.

It won't stay in tune. But new strings ftw. They also feel like 10s. I prefer 9's.

There's a small finger print in the lacquer. Again don't care, you can't see it except at a certain angle and under direct light.

It has amazing accoustic tone. Sounds better than the Trad did. Not exaggerating. The Classic is 8.6lbs the Trad was 9lbs on the dot. I was really surprised to discover that the plastics and the binding are 'aged' cream not white. Pleasantly surprised. I like it!

So all in all? Great bargain. £795 inc VAT delivered. Grab one is my advice folks. Just don't get this if you really want a Standard. Because it isn't a Standard and it needs another couple of hundred spending on it to make it 'good'. I'm going to drop some Bare Knuckle PG Blues pups in (hang the expense). I'm going to put a traditional drill n fill pick guard on. Acid etch the chrome etc. Age the plastics. Remove the robo tuner (going to contact Gibson about getting some tuners) and sell it, sell the zebra pups, put a 50's wiring loom in and a bumble bee cap or two. The action is too high so tweak that. Put the tone pot back. I'll keep the push pull tho its quite cool tbh. It just doesn't sound good because these pups sound ceramic to me and rather thin. Then you got a really, really nice generational guitar for stupid money. Can't fault it. I'm clearly after a 59 on the cheap but you could do anything with these they're all you want cosmetically and have nothing that can't be 'changed' easily.

I just ordered a 15 SG Standard too while they are on offer.. !

The bad? The pups are meh. You will want to replace them ASAP. The pots also feel cheap and crappy. And probably rip out the PCB and the 'boost' crap too. You will also need some closed pup rings if you're gonna go naked too. Mine are already ordered.

IMG_20151126_191208334.jpg

The maple is really nice. The pic doesn't capture the flame much but if you tilt it a bit it has lovely tiger stripes all the way down.

I also really want to warn people about the neck. ITS WIDE. You are going to have to stretch a bit to bar and hit G etc. The upside is, solo'ing is sex. So its give n take. The profile is really flat too unlike the trad. You can really get your hand round her. Which is nice.

Finally, that 100 sig has to go. I'll fine sand down the headstock until it disappears then re-lacquer it. [flapper]

I'd say, if you're really finicky (and I am) think of it like this: "Hey sir, you like that one then? Yours for £1500." To which you reply: "No, its got a smudge in the lacquer and a knott here.. "

To which the salesman replies: "Ok then, how about £900 off?"

[biggrin][thumbup]

Archived