Gibson Brands Forums

ANOTHER NEW FAMILY MEMBER

MissouriPicker

Saw this Thursday night on the internet. https://www.gbase.com/gear/gibson-j-29-acoustic-dreadnought-2015-natural The guy sells vintage guitars here in the Independence area, about 6 miles from me. Never knew he existed until Thursday night. Emailed him and asked him to keep an eye out for a CJ165. He said he would. Meanwhile, I noticed this beast on his website. Really liked the pics, especially the contrast between the neck and back. Just like the J15. Really sweet. We met at nearby McDonalds this afternoon. Played some tunes and made the deal. The price looked real good to start with, so seeing the guitar really sealed the deal. Anyway, this stuff never ends. Never thought I'd have a J29 until this one came along. Now to keep searching for a CJ.

Congrats-

The short-scaled, sloped shoulder layout is the perfect fit with rosewood, and Gibson does it well. Great silking on the spruce top; t'would be a shame to put a sunburst on it. Nice rose on the fret board, as well. And much love for the rectangle bridge.

Now... about those hubcaps around the tuner shafts ; ) !

Enjoy-

I'll get some of my own pics up of it tomorrow or Tuesday. Maybe a video if I have the chance............ What really caught my eye when I actually saw the guitar was the rose-tinted streak down the middle of the front. Nice addition to the natural look. Starts at the neck, on both sides and slowly get wider as it goes down. The rosewood on the back and sides has some cool figuring for rosewood. The top, especially with that streak, is a real sweet piece of Sitka spruce. It's got a loud voice also. Don't think I've played a rosewood since I sold my J150 last spring. Almost forgot how vocal rosewood can be. The action was higher than I like it, so I shaved the bridge some and it feels real good now. Didn't know that tusq was so tough to file-down. Intonation is "spot-on" right up the neck. I'll change the strings in a day or two. The guitar still has the lacquer smell to it........Just thinking---I haven't plugged it in yet...Anyway, very nice instrument........

Archived