Gibson Brands Forums

If you have more cents than sense...

surfpup

In the last pic of his listing you can see some very nice amps… Wonder if he's selling those too, but if he wants $3000 for a speaker cable how much might he want for a whole amp?? [confused]

Amp and cabinet can't be worth that much without that special cable. [biggrin]

Hey,,, I'm sure there's a market for it.

Maybe the same idiot who bought the Virgin Mary grilled cheese will snap this up.

Just researched the grilled cheese you mentioned. Perhaps I should have taken a better look at everything I ate in the past. I may have missed out on worship and lots of money. [rolleyes]

In all seriousness, jokes aside, I have a little problem with the "provenance" with this.

I think it's highly likely the cable was used or came with the amp at a certain time, but that doesn't tell us who made it, where it came from originally, or if anyone cared at the time.

Maybe it was, but if you are going to claim something IS something, then make sure, or tell us HOW you know. "Was with the amp" doesn't cut it for me.

Also, another cable selling for 4500 does not have anything to do with this one, or have any basis for establishing a price.

THIS cable is most valuable with the amp and cab it came with...if it is what's claimed. Why would it be worth more, or anything, if it was separated?

In all seriousness, jokes aside, I have a little problem with the "provenance" with this.

THIS cable is most valuable with the amp and cab it came with...if it is what's claimed. Why would it be worth more, or anything, if it was separated?

Seriousness won't help with people selling or buying such items, hence the topic title I think.

I think it's highly likely the cable was used or came with the amp at a certain time, but that doesn't tell us who made it, where it came from originally, or if anyone cared at the time.

Nope, nobody cared about Dumble. He was considered pretty nuts and his amps were really the prototype for all of the boutiques that have followed. All of his amps put together aren't worth what they want for that cable. If you can't crank a Tweed or early Blackface or one of the good ones from England and sound good no Dumble is going to help you.

rct

I may be in the minority here but I want it.

At the expense of being presumptuous... yes, you just 'might' be in the minority here....

Saying that though, anything has it's price, as Joe Bonamassa once said, referring to guitars, it's only worth as much as someone is willing to pay.....

Perhaps I should try putting the power cable of my vibrator up on eBay, I could say once owned by... Mmmmm, oh yes, once owned by the the guy who bought the hand made Dumble speaker cable... perhaps it came with a free amp?

Nope, nobody cared about Dumble. He was considered pretty nuts and his amps were really the prototype for all of the boutiques that have followed. All of his amps put together aren't worth what they want for that cable. If you can't crank a Tweed or early Blackface or one of the good ones from England and sound good no Dumble is going to help you.

rct

I might be wrong, but didn't that blues guitarist who pushed the word "tone" to the forefront, and made the price of beat-up Strats and Tube Screamers go through the roof, also kind-of help create the whole Dumble craze? :-k

I might be wrong, but didn't that blues guitarist who pushed the word "tone" to the forefront, and made the price of beat-up Strats and Tube Screamers go through the roof, also kind-of help create the whole Dumble craze? :-k

He did. Also some guys not far from me at the time, Alessandro(sp?) made similar and he might have used one or two. Actually, all you needed was one of them amps in the background of a picture and it was yer secret to most non-heinous tone.

rct

Nope, nobody cared about Dumble. He was considered pretty nuts and his amps were really the prototype for all of the boutiques that have followed.

rct

Pretty sure the guy's still alive and kickin' - heck, he ain't even that old... [smile]

Pretty sure the guy's still alive and kickin' - heck, he ain't even that old... [smile]

Yeah, I can see it looks like I was referring to someone deceased. He isn't as far as I know, but I don't even know what he is doing these days.

rct

Archived