Gibson Brands Forums

Guitars that we used to own

Gibson Artist

I know my collection doesnt measure up to the expensive historics some of you have, but i had some great axes thru the years. Lets share some clips of gits from days gone by, some we loved, some we didnt, some we got bored with, some we wished we never got rid of. First for me is a group portrait, then some of my gibsons. Ive been tryin to trade my Taylors for another Gibson, one of these days ill have another. My first has my 2 ibanez, martin D16-rgt, mim strat, Gibson j15, Gibson les paul studio Fireburst nitro, Epi ej-200, Martin omcpa4, Orville Les Paul and a Gibson alpine white lp studio wit/ebony fretboard, that one i REALLY regret trading. Also a Fender Tele delux. So here we go.

040_zps6xrhzj5h.jpg

009_zpsef0b29f3.jpg

100_0928.jpg

100_0639.jpg

1240302_10201308689735911_932369333_n_zpsacb11739.jpg

0012_zps503c7cdf.jpg

001_zpsa58c0367.jpg

0042_zpsd5bbee47.jpg

Ohh theres been a few...

A 2010 Gary Moore BFG... Loved everything about the guitar apart from the fat 50s neck that I never got on with so sold it. But it was truly one of the most unique Gibsons ive ever owned.

DSC01168_zpsxh2ucpyo.jpg

I had a Tanglewood 12 string that was pretty cool.. BUT I just never played it (darn 12 strings), so I had to let it go in the end (as I hate having guitars I don't play

Picture%20174_zpsy1abcajs.jpg

I also once got one of the cheapo Hamer double cuts... But it wanst that great.. I mean it was ok, but nothing compared to my Gibsons.. I got it cheap on ebay and sold it on

Hamer%20saft%201_zpsesnpyzlg.jpg

I had a Flying V for about 3 weeks, but traded it in as a part exchange for my 2008 LP Standard (which I don't regret so I never had time to bond with it really)

232ab468-f4b3-4202-b34a-1b722e13b3a3_zps7z4delr0.jpg

Then there was the ONLY Fender I ever bought.. Just never bonded with it but loved the looks.. SO after about a year of trying I sold it on to someone who would enjoy it more than me

Picture%20183_zpspwwselzn.jpg

Then there was the Non Reverse Firebird Studio which was well cool.. But again never really bonded with the neck or the way the guitar sits when playing.. It was pretty cool though

DSC01158_zpsupshuofw.jpg

Then lastly I once had a brand new double cut special.. Apparently it was the last new one in Europe at the time (cos it was taken from the Gibson Europe warehouse or something).. I got this just after I got my current Double Cut Special which I was re-finishing at the time.. And I got this one in case mine didn't turn out so well (I was obsessed with Double Cuts at the time)... But it did so I sold it on cos again I hated having it just sitting in its case doing nothing

DSC01022_zps6t3qgwtl.jpg

Wow, that was more than I thought :)

I don't really regret letting any of those go cos most of the time it was because I never bonded with them properly... My first ever LP however I wish I did still have, it was an early 90s wine red studio with an ebony fretboard.. They just made studios really well back then..

I have no pictures of my departed guitars. I had a trad Strat for 25 years. There is only a brief video of me using it at an outdoor event in a scratch band.

My 1st guitar was an Eko electric with 4 pickups bought in 1970. I saw it in a 'junk shop'. I knew nothing about guitars and had no idea how to play or tune it. After a while I took it to a fellow who knew something of lutherie and he told me the neck twist was not repairable. I cant find a pic of the exact model but it looked similar to this, havingf the pearloid face and line of pickup congiguration buttons along the top.

My link

The Strat was sunburst with a maple neck. You know what they look like right. ;)

Ohh theres been a few...

Then lastly I once had a brand new double cut special.. Apparently it was the last new one in Europe at the time (cos it was taken from the Gibson Europe warehouse or something).. I got this just after I got my current Double Cut Special which I was re-finishing at the time.. And I got this one in case mine didn't turn out so well (I was obsessed with Double Cuts at the time)... But it did so I sold it on cos again I hated having it just sitting in its case doing nothing

Wow, that was more than I thought :)

I don't really regret letting any of those go cos most of the time it was because I never bonded with them properly... My first ever LP however I wish I did still have, it was an early 90s wine red studio with an ebony fretboard.. They just made studios really well back then..

That special and 12 string are nice i wouldve played and love the heck out of that strat, even if i got the jones for somethin else later lol.

Loved, and Lost: [crying]

1968 Gibson LP Custom, 1968 Rickenbacker 360-12 (Jetglow), 1969 Marshall "Major" Full Stack, and (not pictured) 1969 ES-355 Stereo (Cherry).

CharlieBrown19Summer1969withMarshal.jpg

My ES-355 was identical, to this one:

cbd04b3196027b223f82a2efdd08a587_zps2rtpdu7r.jpg

Sold them all, when I stopped playing (for nearly 30 years), in 1972. Used the money for College, and to buy

cameras.

CB

Loved, and Lost: [crying]

1968 Gibson LP Custom, 1968 Rickenbacker 360-12 (Jetglow), 1969 Marshall "Major" Full Stack, and (not pictured) 1969 ES-355 Stereo (Cherry).

My ES-355 was identical, to this one:

Sold them all, when I stopped playing (for nearly 30 years), in 1972. Used the money for College, and to buy

cameras.

CB

Nice ones! What is that weird switch on the 335? Some sorta phase thing?

Nice ones! What is that weird switch on the 335? Some sorta phase thing?

It's called a Varitone (rotary switch). It's has 6 positions, all giving a bit different tone,

from regular/normal full Humbucker tone (position 1), to a gradual thinner tone, positions 2-6.

(Demo, of sound differences, below)

CB

I don't seriously regret letting any of the stuff go but if I could have just a couple back it would be these;

My all original, re-fin'd and returned to the original Lake Placid Blue (it had been stripped back to wood when I bought it in Dec '79) 02 Jan 1964 Strat I owned for 24 years.

This was me with it Autumn '84(*). I know this because the sticker rear of the bridge was 'liberated' from the pit-wall of the Ecurie Ecosse garage of the 1984 Le Mans 24 Hr. endurance race...in fact the T-shirt I'm wearing is also from the same event and was for the Bob Tullius Group 44 'Jaguar Racing' team which saw Jaguar return to La Sarthe for the first time in decades.

MewithLP-Bluein85v2lo-res.jpg

The black guitar back-centre was my second-ever guitar. Fender Swinger. Short-scale and utter crap tonally but it was very endearing and they are pretty scarce.

Guitarsonbedlo-res.jpg

I was utterly shafted when it was sold. I knew it. The dealership knew it. We both knew each other knew it and we both knew I had no choice in the matter.

This changed my approach to certain dealerships. If they feel they can screw me if they have the chance then I'll reciprocate and feel no remorse.

Pip.

* The strap seen here is still my absolute favourite and I use it nowadays with my R0 some 30 years on...

... Sold them all, when I stopped playing (for nearly 30 years), in 1972. Used the money for College, and to buy cameras.

CB

The camera thing is completely understood. However, cameras changed a lot since 1972, guitars not so much on principal, but a lot in details. [crying]

I don't seriously regret letting any of the stuff go but if I could have just a couple back it would be these;

My all original, re-fin'd and returned to the original Lake Placid Blue (it had been stripped back to wood when I bought it in Dec '79) 02 Jan 1964 Strat I owned for 24 years.

This was me with it Autumn '84(*). I know this because the sticker rear of the bridge was 'liberated' from the pit-wall of the Ecurie Ecosse garage of the 1984 Le Mans 24 Hr. endurance race...in fact the T-shirt I'm wearing is also from the same event and was for the Bob Tullius Group 44 'Jaguar Racing' team which saw Jaguar return to La Sarthe for the first time in decades.

I was utterly shafted when it was sold. I knew it. The dealership knew it. We both knew each other knew it and we both knew I had no choice in the matter.

This changed my approach to certain dealerships. If they feel they can screw me if they have the chance then I'll reciprocate and feel no remorse.

Pip.

* The strap seen here is still my absolute favourite and I use it nowadays with my R0 some 30 years on...

Wonder what you paid for the strat in 79?

£218.00 Sterling.

Around $270.00. I still have the receipt...

It was 1/3rd cheaper than a new Strat. At the time the 'Vintage Market' was yet to evolve and this was just one more second-hand guitar. Nothing Special.

I tried the new stuff but I had been listening to a lot of Mark Knopfler, J.J. Cale, Ry Cooder, 'Dominoes'-era Clapton and the new stuff was all a bit too much Ritchie Blackmore and Robin Trower. The '64 was simply perfect.

'Board resembled a BMX test-track but it was the best Strat I've ever owned.

Scan-110325-0013lo-res.jpg

Hankering after another Strat a few years ago I stumbled across a MIM which was the '64s "Twin Separated at Birth" 99% of the way and I love it.

But I'd still quite fancy the '64 back.

L16473. If anyone out there wishes to sell it...

Pip.

These come to mind:

Yamaha FG180 acoustic

Epiphone mid-70s MIJ 335 copy, red, bolt-on neck - awful but I loved it

Hagstrom Swede

Fender large-headstock Strat about 1966, sunburst, r/w board, ser no 161234 ](*,) :( [crying] [crying]

Gibson L6S Deluxe, cherry

D Knight acoustic (I have another)

Fender MIJ System III Strat 1982-3, green sparkle, 2h/b, r/w board - great player (I have a black one)

Tokai MAT Strat, black

£30 purple sparkle Strat copy

And I just sold my orange Shine semi with Bigsby....

There are more but I can't or don't want to remember..... ;) :unsure:

Good topic!

£218.00 Sterling.

Around $270.00. I still have the receipt...

It was 1/3rd cheaper than a new Strat. At the time the 'Vintage Market' was yet to evolve and this was just one more second-hand guitar. Nothing Special.

I tried the new stuff but I had been listening to a lot of Mark Knopfler, J.J. Cale, Ry Cooder, 'Dominoes'-era Clapton and the new stuff was all a bit too much Ritchie Blackmore and Robin Trower. The '64 was simply perfect.

'Board resembled a BMX test-track but it was the best Strat I've ever owned.

Scan-110325-0013lo-res.jpg

Hankering after another Strat a few years ago I stumbled across a MIM which was the '64s "Twin Separated at Birth" 99% of the way and I love it.

But I'd still quite fancy the '64 back.

L16473. If anyone out there wishes to sell it...

Pip.

Wish i could pay 270 today lol

Pip.

There is a story here, that I am not getting. How and why did you get 'shafted'?

I have a reverse sort of story: In about, IDK 1999 or 2000 or so (really might be way off), when EBAY had been starting to get popular and Strat prices were taking off, I had ALMOST bought a re-finned white '66 Strat. It was 1600 bucks American, which seemed like a lot at the time. Wanted it because 1)white is my favorite Strat color, 2) '66 is my favorite body shape (LOVE the way the shorter bevel on the back feels). DIDN'T buy it because 1) I had 3 other white Strats at the time, 2) 1600 was more than any Strat SHOULD cost.

Within months, I saw completed listings of similar years, re-fin Strats going for 12-16k. Who would have known?

I really only started playing with any sort of intent a few years back but have owned a guitar or two here and there over the past 30 years starting at school. I actually don't miss any of them. The Yamaha acoustic from late 80's (FG-410 or some such) I never liked the sound of and gave to my nephew last year after carting it around for 25 years, a Hondo 3/4 size acoustic was rubbish. I had another early-mid 80's Aria RS Series electric like the one I still play almost every day but with trickier pickups and stuff but I didn't need 2 of them at the time, I had a Japanese bass (I forget what brand) that I lent to a mate who left it behind at a gig.... Probably the only one I wish I'd photographed was my very first guitar - some horrible early-mid 1960's Japanese doublecut - just to work out now what it actually was [laugh]

Amps were similar, the Roland Bolt 60 (an early attempt at a hybrid amp) - the less said the better, Marshall 10w practice amp - same. a few throwaway amps I have given to the kids to learn with and the old Peavey Renown (160w twin) now serves as our drummer's amp for when he's practicing less loudly on the electric kit - can't kill those Peavey's, honestly I've tried. The only thing I kind of wish I'd kept was my very first amp, which came with the aforementioned POS guitar ($70 all up from an army surplus store) - I've no idea what it was or where it was made. The shell was sort of stiff cardboard, it only had 2 knobs, was about 18" x 12" x 3" deep. Must have been all of 1 or 2 watts, tube amp. Sounded dreadful but I think I could have had some fun with it today just messing around.

I had one of these silly things in the late 80s. I didn't think much of it, since it had only one pickup and an annoyingly complicated bridge. I wish I'd kept it now, not only for nostalgia, but since they're selling for big bucks. It was a 1987 Charvel Model 2 with a Floyd Rose tremolo. The one pictured has the Jackson tremolo instead of the Floyd that mine had. I can't even find one like my old one, but the ones with the cheaper tremolo and dents/dings are going for $800 now. I stripped all the paint off and never put it back together. It probably ended up in the landfill. Dammit!

charvel-model-2-699342_zpsi7mmzqzm.jpg

I had one of these silly things in the late 80s. I didn't think much of it, since it had only one pickup and an annoyingly complicated bridge. I wish I'd kept it now, not only for nostalgia, but since they're selling for big bucks. It was a Charvel Model 2 with a Floyd Rose tremolo. I stripped all the paint off and never put it back together. It probably ended up in the landfill. Dammit!

charvel-model-2-699342_zpsi7mmzqzm.jpg

I remember Charvels being huge in the 80s, it wasnt until guns n roses that les pauls became cool again, most of my friends had charvels in high school. I remember some guys in my neighborhood heard i played guitar and wanted to hire me to play bass in their band. They didnt even know me other than the long haired guy who carries a guitar case lol. I auditioned and couldnt play a lick of bass to save my life, i didnt join their band needless to say, but their lead guitarist had a les paul standard (rare in those times) i was in awe of it. funny because bands today all have les pauls, back then it was Charvels, but in the new england area those old Charvels have a cult like following.

ohh yeah... there was another guitar I forgot about that I miss and wish I still had just cos it was fairly unusual....

An old Kay neckthrough (one of my first guitars, did my first gig with it)... It didn't sound that great but if I still had it I could make it a great guitar by swapping the pups out...

I guess I always had a thing for double cuts :)

(this isn't my one but it looked just like it)

XjI9Ecq_zpsxqmw0fjm.jpg

I remember Charvels being huge in the 80s, it wasnt until guns n roses that les pauls became cool again, most of my friends had charvels in high school. I remember some guys in my neighborhood heard i played guitar and wanted to hire me to play bass in their band. They didnt even know me other than the long haired guy who carries a guy case lol. I auditioned and couldnt play a lick of bass to save my life, i didnt join their band needless to say, but their lead guitarist had a les paul standard (rare in those times) i was in awe of it. funny because bands today all have les pauls, back then it was Charvels, but in the new england area those old Charvels have a cult like following.

I guess that would explain why they cost so much now. All the 80s kids are hitting middle age and starting to get nostalgic. If I could even find a Charvel Model 2 like my old one in nice condition, it would probably be over $1000 now. Not worth it for what it is. I'd rather have another "Epiphone By Gibson" Sheraton II like the one I bought after the Charvel (and then stupidly sold in 1994).

Archived