Gibson Brands Forums

Looking For A New Epiphone Acoustic

Cobalt

So I own 3 guitars. A Masterbuilt DR500MCE, a Epiphone 1962 Re-issue Sorrento and a Fender American Telecaster Deluxe. I obtained the Sorrento in a trade and it is in mint condition. My main style of playing is acoustic as that is what I enjoy the most. I want to add a new Epiphone acoustic to go with and compliment my Masterbilt and I am going to sell the Sorrento to finance it. I only need one electric guitar and as nice as the Sorrento is the Tele is a great guitar. What I don't want to do is get another acoustic that will sound exactly like the Masterbilt I already have. I wont be able to play anything before I buy it so I am hoping I can get some good opinions here. Some that have caught my eye are the Inspired by Texan and the Epiphone EJ-200SCE Southern Jumbo Acoustic Electric- Natural. Those are only two that I have seen but Im open to any and all suggestions. It can even be a parlor size. I would prefer to not get another dreadnought as the Masterbilt fits that bill. So ok Epiphone fanatics, give me your best ideas as I will truly appreciate it!

I've had several Epiphones over the years. I currently have a IB Texan that has a complex mellow sound. The AJ-220S that I had was a cannon, with a rich tone, and a srteal at the price. I had a EL-00 once that I enjoyed a lot. There's a lot of love here for the Texan, as well as the new Masterbilt AJ-45ME.

Mel

Hi Cobalt. I too have a DR500MCE and recently sold my EJ200CE. The 200 was a good guitar but I felt I wanted to experience the total solid wood package so I found a very good deal on a 500 and found that it was an up-grade.There seems to be an extra resonance-but every guitar is different and every set of ears is unique, so this is simply one man's take. I've owned the DR500 for about a year now and it has opened up -perhaps because of hydration during winter months and it could be the elixir lights. As most here would suggest it is a good idea to "test-drive" these things before buying.As for electric-I got a Fender Squier Classic Vibe Custom used for $300 and it is outstanding! I know that this is blasphemy on a Gibson/Epiphone site but you need to try these things out to understand the value.Check out Rob Chapman's you tube test of Squier,Fender and Custom Shop.He picked the Squier as the Custom and vice-versa.His reaction when he realized that he picked a guitar worth 1/10th the price is priceless!And so it goes .The sound is in the fingers(as they say) and you have to decide whether you need the social affirmation of the name recognition or if you can transcend the skyward glances that accompany a "no-name" brand.I hear that the 2015 AJ45 epi is a keeper as far as Masterbilts are concerned.

I can but recommend the Inspired by 1964 Texan FT-79. The Texan is a true full-sounding large-body guitar, sporting a full and warm sound and great playability, and giving much more expensive models a darn good run for the money. In my opinion Texans have never sounded better or fuller than with the recent solid-wood reissues, and the Nanoflex pickup makes this overall a very complete package.

Here's an excellent demo and sound sample of the recent Texan reissue:

I'd also be looking into the Dave Navarro "Jane" signature guitar by Epiphone if you want something completely different and set yourself apart from the Masterbilt series in terms of sound and design.

I can recommend the EL OO Pro. It won't be a booming guitar because of its small size, but it's got a nice ring on its tone, good sustain, and a good 60's feel to it's neck. It's a good guitar that will play and sound different from the normal pack of guitars. And, again it's neck is really good. Price is right too, it's sunburst is awesome. Drawback, it's pickup is functional, but not outstanding.

Suggest trying one at a store.

Hope this helps.

I want to add a new Epiphone acoustic to go with and compliment my Masterbilt....

These are all very cool guitars - every one mentioned. My 6-strings have been suffering lately since I've been obsessively practicing this piece I want to record on my 12-string... which brings up another idea for you. I don't know much about Epiphone 12-strings, though.

Archived