Gibson Brands Forums

Master Model Tan Label

rich40701

post-75079-087314200 1452229440_thumb.jpegI just purchased this 1934 L5 Historic Reissue and it has a tan master model label I have never seen before and haven't been able to find searching the web.

I have attached pictures of the label and guitar.

Has anyone saw this label before? This is the only label found on the guitar, the other f hole doesn't have anything.13a09c2c4f8b60fa2b74f270ea9c0512

• 4 weeks later...

The "Master Model" is the HIGHEST level of historic reissue Gibson makes, as hand-built models like the L-5 and Super 400 were designated "Master Models" back in the day.

Only certain builds of specific models from the Nashville Custom Shop get the designation. These are very special instruments, and NOT "production models" in any way.

I am somewhat surprised that your guitar has only the one tan "Master Model" label. Traditionally there is another tan oval "Certified" label under the other f-hole that states "The top, back, tone-bars and air-chamber of this instrument were tested, tuned and the assembled instrument tried and approved". There was then a line for a handwritten date and the signature of the builder or supervisor.

• 2 weeks later...

The "Master Model" is the HIGHEST level of historic reissue Gibson makes, as hand-built models like the L-5 and Super 400 were designated "Master Models" back in the day.

Only certain builds of specific models from the Nashville Custom Shop get the designation. These are very special instruments, and NOT "production models" in any way.

I am somewhat surprised that your guitar has only the one tan "Master Model" label. Traditionally there is another tan oval "Certified" label under the other f-hole that states "The top, back, tone-bars and air-chamber of this instrument were tested, tuned and the assembled instrument tried and approved". There was then a line for a handwritten date and the signature of the builder or supervisor.

I even looked inside the guitar with a mirror for the other label. The MM label doesn't look glued down all that great so maybe there was another label and it fell out.

Archived