Gibson Brands Forums

Basic 2005 Dove - with a name on the label?

Bartimaeus

I've seen strange stuff from Gibson.

My signed Dwight label is 3 digits off on the build day to the stamped date.

I'm guessing they got at least one other one wrong if they mixed up the labels unless I have a phony label??????

46249CDC-E8E2-4963-AE6E-7A4D160C0FC4_zpshwi15rgw.jpg

I messaged both. Jeremy's box is not receiving messages (turned off?) but the message to Hogeye went through...

You should know that Jeremy is a very busy fellow. He travels a bunch and finds himself in Europe a lot. He works out of Bozeman but the proper procedure is to call Nashville for customer service.

I don't work for Gibson but like you am living in Bozeman. It's, as you know, cold and a bit dreary. Minus 8 degrees Fahrenheit last night- so I spend a bit of time at my computer. That's why I responded. I try to stay out of this sort of thread. It is fun and I would not tell you who was responsible. It was done by request.

It was probably Hogeye's idea....lol.

Perhaps you don't get an official answer since nobody wants to admit having typed this funny naming. [biggrin]

Heard back from Hogeye ... he enjoyed seeing the label, but wasn't willing to speculate as to how / why it's there. His suggestion: try to trace the sale of the guitar... I'm looking into that.

Perhaps someone in here knows: the best path to connect to Gibson to see about an invoice associated to that SN?

If HOGEYE don't have a clue...then that's saying something.

A little Sherlock Holmes, 007 type investigating.

Hmmm......

You should know that Jeremy is a very busy fellow. He travels a bunch and finds himself in Europe a lot. He works out of Bozeman but the proper procedure is to call Nashville for customer service.

I don't work for Gibson but like you am living in Bozeman. It's, as you know, cold and a bit dreary. Minus 8 degrees Fahrenheit last night- so I spend a bit of time at my computer. That's why I responded. I try to stay out of this sort of thread. It is fun and I would not tell you who was responsible. It was done by request.

That's great. This confirms that it's not faked. The backstory on the circumstances would be so entertaining!

Thanks you so much for pulling strings. I owe ya one, for sure.

That's great. This confirms that it's not faked. The backstory on the circumstances would be so entertaining!

I don't think anyone ever thought it was "faked", or somehow was done in order to fool someone.

As for what "value" it has, this label doesn't make the guitar worth any more or any less, it's just interesting. Sure, someone may or may not be more interested in the guitar, and maybe even pay a little more should they be buying, but not much. It certainly doesn't change the buying or selling price of it, that would be based on what a 2005 Dove is.

Whoever did this label, surely they knew that. So "faked" or not wouldn't come into it.

Breedlove (a maker in Bend, OR) snagged a cache of prime Brazilian Rosewood in 2013 (Logs dating to the 1950's)

http://breedlovemusi...azilian-rosewoo

I don't own one (yet.)

Interesting: How did Breedlove get the"world's largest collection of legal Brazillian rosewood"?

They purchased it from the Spanish company Madinter in 2013.

Madinter and Taylor formed a partnership in 2011 to be the major player in ebony from Cameroon.

Breedlove was formed by two Taylor luthiers in 1990.

If the rosewood is so good (see Breedlove's glowing description), why didn't Taylor buy it?

Just wondering....

Interesting: How did Breedlove get the"world's largest collection of legal Brazillian rosewood"?

They purchased it from the Spanish company Madinter in 2013.

Madinter and Taylor formed a partnership in 2011 to be the major player in ebony from Cameroon.

Breedlove was formed by two Taylor luthiers in 1990.

If the rosewood is so good (see Breedlove's glowing description), why didn't Taylor buy it?

Just wondering....

Me too!!

I looked at their site and most of the Brazilian had fancy patterns and looked good but I thought the most desirable Brazilian Rosewood is the straight grain as shown below.

16442957847_ee09e1d2d7_o_zpsqxhbju0b.jpg

I agree 100%. Just look at the Brazilian on D-28's (and others, of course) from the late 1930's to the mid-60's to see what Brazilian should look like. I don't care for what they're using now and calling "fancy grain Brazilian." Looks like sapwood and stumpwood to me.

I had a little Martin parlor guitar from the 1870's that was Brazilian rosewood with curly, convoluted grain, and it had cracked in virtually every direction imaginable as a result. After that experience--with the luthier putting more than 30 splices in the body--I'll pass on "fancy" grain.

Archived