Gibson Brands Forums

Basic 2005 Dove - with a name on the label?

Bartimaeus

Must have been 2009... I snagged a Dove, basically new in it's case, unplayed. (Good story, that) ... but inside on the label is a name (see photo)... is this commonly included on instruments that are placed as donations to charity? That's my wild guess.

Like to know more...

post-75084-098223400 1448324057_thumb.jpg

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

What I know is: After moving, it sort of rebelled -- despite trying to manage the humidity changes (went all wonky, some lacquer checked, etc.) Eventually it settled. Then I had it set up by a luthier to restore intonation, etc. The shop he works for wanted to buy it -- I think for the name, even though they assured me they knew nada about the name, and that it wasn't a big deal. So they insisted: based on the the sound alone, it's rather impressive. Played beside similar instruments ... it's louder and resonates much longer. Harmonics ... where they aren't usually bright are punchy (like third fret.) I know it's continued to open up -- I can hear it happening.

Is this instrument somehow different?

post-75084-024465100 1448326326_thumb.jpg

I've played it only a little -- it fits in my gigs only under certain circumstances. If I trade it, I want to be able to convey more knowledge about what all that means.

I too am curious why the label on this one gives the guitar a name. There must be some interesting story behind it. You might want to try to call Gibson in Montana and see if they can offer any insight.

Let us know if you do and what they say.

QM aka Jazzman Jeff

I did phone them once but ... my inquiry wasn't returned. I left a note with the receptionist, who promised to pass my questions. I never heard back. Which is understandable I suppose. Can you imagine how many quacks must try to reach folks there?

No worries. Somebody knows ... Thanks for the bump on this.

Very curious.

You could try a PM with the pic to Jeremy - http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?app=members&module=messaging&section=send&do=form&fromMemberID=32154 He's with Gibson Acoustic Bozeman.

Hogeye might be able to offer an explanation - http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?app=members&module=messaging&section=send&do=form&fromMemberID=26582

Very curious.

You could try a PM with the pic to Jeremy - http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?app=members&module=messaging&section=send&do=form&fromMemberID=32154 He's with Gibson Acoustic Bozeman.

Hogeye might be able to offer an explanation - http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?app=members&module=messaging&section=send&do=form&fromMemberID=26582

Awesome thanks for the suggestions.

You can buy these labels on EBay and type whatever you want on them

Nobody who's seen the guitar thinks it's a fake. Why would the label be different?

I sort of exhausted those questions long ago... there's no indication the label has been tampered with...

Nobody who's seen the guitar thinks it's a fake. Why would the label be different?

I sort of exhausted those questions long ago... there's no indication the label has been tampered with...

Perhaps you don't get an official answer since nobody wants to admit having typed this funny naming. [biggrin]

Or the one who did that isn't working there anymore - who knows?

I messaged both. Jeremy's box is not receiving messages (turned off?) but the message to Hogeye went through...

Heard back from Hogeye ... he enjoyed seeing the label, but wasn't willing to speculate as to how / why it's there. His suggestion: try to trace the sale of the guitar... I'm looking into that.

Perhaps someone in here knows: the best path to connect to Gibson to see about an invoice associated to that SN?

If HOGEYE don't have a clue...then that's saying something.

So, I will add my 2 cents, cause it's just darned interesting. A little Sherlock Holmes, 007 type investigating.

Firstly, I notice the "name" is slightly inappropriate. I don't think it would be something random a builder would have end up at a dealer, for fear it might be taken offensive. Leads me to think the individual who printed the label knew where the guitar was going, or it was requested that way.

While the label does not appear to be a forgery (I don't know what the label on this era SHOULD be though), it seems just as plausible someone may have changed it to play a joke. It seems too clever for someone to do it to try and make the guitar more valuable, or try and get more money for it. And if it WAS changed post-production, someone did a real good job.

So...hmm...no closer is it?

I've always proceeded from the perspective that there is nothing fake about the instrument. It checks out. Those who've seen it -- because of the 'name' alone -- really look it over. The Store / Luthier that tried to get me to sell it / trade it away -- is to me -- evidence those fellows recognized some value.

Anyway, I'm super grateful for the ideas / feedback and discussion.

Huge thanks everyone. Keep it coming and / or circulate this to others -- somebody knows the backstory on this. It'll be fun to know.

What Dave F said.

Here's a link to an auction selling Kalamazoo repros, no reason to believe same guy couldn't pull of a Montana label if he was asked.

He's also willing to print serial number on for additional fee, so he could print the rest of the description as well, one would think.

Label could be forgery but that doesn't necessarily mean the guitar is not authentic.Why someone would want that particular description

on a label is anyones guess...

Ebay auction Gibson Guitar Label

What Dave F said.

Here's a link to an auction selling Kalamazoo repros, no reason to believe same guy couldn't pull of a Montana label if he was asked.

He's also willing to print serial number on for additional fee, so he could print the rest of the description as well, one would think.

Label could be forgery but that doesn't necessarily mean the guitar is not authentic.Why someone would want that particular description

on a label is anyones guess...

Ebay auction Gibson Guitar Label

Thanks. Appreciate your reinforcement of Dave F. After he mentioned this I searched and couldn't find that source. So thanks for getting it in the thread for us.

As it stands for now: A year or so ago, when I had the setup done? The professional consensus (well known store, including their luthier) was that the label is real. However, they tried to convince me the name was meaningless. Presuming I'd had a relationship with these guys for more than a few weeks I might have believed them. The more I ask about it, the more I'm convinced their eagerness to acquire it was at least driven in some portion by the uniqueness.

Anyway, I'm really pleased to get all these suggestions. Hopefully this kind of info will benefit someone else.

The thought occurs: Are there other examples of this? The name 'Lucky Bas---d' sure, but something else perhaps? And I wouldn't presume the other cases of 'names' to be 'rude', either.

This mini-story is NOT in the same league as the Dove label, but of late I am considering a 1992 Heritage Golden Eagle. Strangely, the label says this:

qoyoud.jpg

I contacted Heritage and through a couple email exchanges determined whoever made out the label....made a mistake. It was supposed to say something like "Limited Edition", which is hooey all by itself, as they've made GE's non stop for 30 years now.

So weirdness does happen and as much as I would like to build this Heritage one up in my mind, it just won't fly. Nothing extraordinary about the guitar, just a major slip of the pen.

This mini-story is NOT in the same league as the Dove label, but of late I am considering a 1992 Heritage Golden Eagle. Strangely, the label says this:

qoyoud.jpg

I contacted Heritage and through a couple email exchanges determined whoever made out the label....made a mistake. It was supposed to say something like "Limited Edition", which is hooey all by itself, as they've made GE's non stop for 30 years now.

So weirdness does happen and as much as I would like to build this Heritage one up in my mind, it just won't fly. Nothing extraordinary about the guitar, just a major slip of the pen.

Yup. Interesting! Until recently (last year) I was unaware Gibson counter-endorsed any labels (other than on custom 1-off's for celeb's, etc.) ... that some are hand-written? is a revelation. So, how about a photo of the GE? A link perhaps?

WRT to the Dove label? I rather expect to learn they've made bunches of them too. But can I find any others? Not so far (insert flabbergasted phrase of your choice here.) In the past few years I must have googled "Gibson Dove" + "Lucky Bast---d" 30 times. Nada.

So I'm really glad I came in here. Despite being a newbie (and labeled that much!) ... y'all are so friendly and helpful. (in contrast to some other boards I've tried over the years.) If this is a testament to the kind of players Gibson attracts? Neat.

Thanks. Appreciate your reinforcement of Dave F. ... The professional consensus (well known store, including their luthier) was that the label is real. ...

The fake label idea seems possible. OTOH the font of the filled in info on the label looks legit - I'm sure that's why the folks at the store thought the label was real.

Still very interesting.

Archived