Gibson Brands Forums

SG Supreme 2016 Limited

Rabs

Sorry Searcy.. No green ones :)

http://www.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/2016/USA/SG-Supreme-2016-Limited.aspx#SGSU16CHCH1

$2499

Tuners: Grover Locking Kidneys

Headstock: Mother of Pearl Holly & Gibson inlays and 5-ply binding

Neck: SG slim taper with fast-access heel

Fingerboard: Richlite fingerboard with white binding

Inlays: Mother of Pearl Split Diamonds

Top: Carved AAA flamed maple top

Hardware: Chrome hardware all the way

Electronics: Simple and elegant

Pickups: Burstbucker Pro

Case: Traditional SG Supreme Hardshell Case

SGSU16CHRO_01_zpsz4rlfn6m.jpg

SGSU16OBCO_01_zpsr9yb1qll.jpg

Well, the bottom beveling is wider and longer, than the traditional '60's version,

which stops at, or near the "waist!" Not sure about the width of the top beveling,

as it's hard to tell, from those photos. Horn beveling seems "generous" enough, and

I suspect, it MAY have some horn tapering, too...but, I'd have to see some different

angles, to confirm that. The Maple top, will add weight, which may (or may not) be

to some folks liking. More "Les Paul" in that way, than "SG." I'd have to play one,

to see if "I" liked that! But, I don't hate it, from just the looks. Certainly not

a "traditional" SG treatment, but...not abhorrent, either.

IMHO, as always. [biggrin]

CB

Well..."Richlite" is used a LOT, on Gibson fingerboards, nowadays! I played a few, even before I knew what it was,

and really didn't have any negative experiences, with it. While I think Gibson's upper tier guitars SHOULD have Ebony,

apparently they don't. Or, their wood woes, of the past, have made it less desirable to take the chance? Whatever the

reason, a really dark "torrified (AKA "baked") maple" would be, IMHO, a better choice, than "phenolic resin." Baked

maple has the same feel, similar look, and tonal qualities (or, near enough) as Ebony! I know they can make torrified

maple, as dark as ebony, as I've seen it, many times.

It IS interesting, though, that Martin, and other guitar companies can still get, and use imported Ebony, for their fingerboards.

Was NOT using Ebony, part of Gibson's "deal" with the Government, beyond the 1 1/2 year probation period?

Besides, if you can feel the fingerboard, to a noticeable extent, while playing (especially on the bigger "Gibson style frets)

you're probably pressing too hard, on the strings, in the first place.

CB

Well I purchased mine back in 2006 at the Musicians Friend warehouse in Kansas City. It's got a solid ebony fretboard that shows no wear whatsoever after just shy of 10 years of hard playing on the road & in the studio. Here's what my girl looks like. I love her. [love]

25629_Used_SG_Supreme_LavaBurst_29260409_a.jpg

Its probably going to take a while to get used to that look on an SG. It looks unusual, but I quite like it.

I agree with CB about the torrified maple & ebony, but I'd still rather have richlite than rosewood.

Maybe I should revise that opinion now? It takes me 20 years to wear out a rosewood fretboard, and I probably haven't got another 20 left!

I like the simpler master vol & tone controls.

Coil splitting would have been nice though.

Its got 24 frets! Even better!

Archived