Gibson Brands Forums

Matsumoku Riviera Black

batwing

I've owned many Riviera's over the last 20 years, MIJ, MIK MIC, and after my getting my 1968 I thought I'd had enough...

Recently purchased this one from Japan.

Black, stop tail with factory fitted minihumbuckers.

Orange label: Serial number - 671## W/MH

Made in Japan on the back of the headstock.

This is the first MIJ Riviera I've seen with mini's except for Elite /Elitist and the current 66 RI, and according to some info on the net a 6 as a first digit in a serial number may represent a custom order.

I have flipped the white truss rod cover over.

Any info would be much appreciated.

Thank you!

IMG_2737.jpg

IMG_2736.jpg

Interesting! All this time, I thought the "Crown" head-stock inlay, started with the Korean Riviera models.

But, apparently, it started in Japan! Always wondered why they did that?! To more closely mimic the appointments

of the 335? I always preferred the "oval" inlay, on the Riviera...like the original '60's USA versions had, and

which the new '66 Elitist version has, once again. As I have mentioned, many times, I have NO (real) problem, with

country of manufacture...but I have never understood not adhering to original spec's. UNLESS, it was to further

marginalize/differentiate, "Epiphone" from Gibson. Construction, and playability wise, I'm sure your MIJ Riviera

is excellent!

CB

To me, Mini-Humbuckers (in general) have an edgier, crisper, character, but still with the warm, humbucker tone!

I especially like the mini in the neck position, as it seems to have more clarity, and

definition, all settings being equal. Almost like a compromise, between single coil, and

full sized humbucker tone, and character. But, that's must MY opinion/observations.

Other's here, may have differing experiences. [biggrin]

CB

To me, Mini-Humbuckers (in general) have an edgier, crisper, character, but still with the warm, humbucker tone!

I especially like the mini in the neck position, as it seems to have more clarity, and

definition, all settings being equal. Almost like a compromise, between single coil, and

full sized humbucker tone, and character. But, that's must MY opinion/observations.

Other's here, may have differing experiences. [biggrin]

CB

Thanks CB, I like some of the Epi pups. Being a relative noob with Epiphones, I'd just assumed that the first thing to do was swap out the pups. So I really paid attention to all the various demos of them and it quickly became apparent that when the tone was set right on the amp and guitar, not only did they sound acceptable, in many cases they sounded great, as good as on many Gibbys Ive heard over the years. [thumbup]

Archived