Gibson Brands Forums

Scratch, Crack, or Check?

RabiesGotBack

Howdy! I've got a 2008 J-45, and today while playing I felt a raised-up line along the grain of the lower treble side. I did a little bit of research, but it's still too hard for me to tell. The fact that I can feel it seems to rule out lacquer checking, but I'm not sure. I sat in a dark room with a bright flashlight in the sound hole and nothing came through [flapper] so I'm hoping it's just a scratch. Any more knowledgeable people here have a better way of diagnosing it, and if it's the worst what am I in store for?

Q9uG5Pe.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/Q9uG5Pe.jpg

Thanks!

Since it runs almost straight along the grain, it may be a crack. What's the humidity like this time of year where you keep the guitar? Examining it with a magnifying glass under good light might give a better idea. Not all cracks go all the way through the wood.

Cracks when they start you can neither see through with light OR blow air through it.

Best way to check for a crack (I think) is to apply some pressure to it with watching the reflection of the finish. A crack will tend to move, and you can see it move. Obviously, it will move along the crack relative to the rest of the surface.

If it doesn't move at all, there isn't anything that can be done anyway. So then the only thing is to watch it, but don't worry. IF it gets worse and reveals itself to be a crack, it IS fixable, and ain't all that expensive.

Looking closely at the photo, I don't think it's a crack because it doesn't follow exactly with the grain.

The weather just got dry here, so I definitely popped the humidifiers in, I apparently should've done so sooner!

I went in laparoscopically (with a cell phone and flashlight, I couldn't tell with my jam buddy's girlfriend's make-up mirror) and from what I'm seeing in my amateur opinion is nothing, but it could be behind the "kerfed lining joining the top to the rim inside the upper bout" (got that from google). If it is a crack, maybe that's a good thing because it'll help keep it from separating and spreading? That's really my big fear here, I don't have the funds to see a luthier and I don't want to be looking at a catastrophic spread. Battle scars are fine with me, and the guitar still plays and sounds beautiful, I just don't want this to spiral into something that will compromise the structural integrity of the guitar.

Thank you for the replies, guys, I want to preserve this guitar to pass on to someone in the future as it was to me!

post-56728-071070500 1448516664_thumb.jpg

post-56728-038976800 1448516672_thumb.jpg

Yup. I wouldn't worry about that one. Out of all the places I can think of that would compromise the structural integrity of the guitar, this is not one. I would worry about falling on it or leaving it on the roof of your car (all night) because you thought you would run the amp in the house first not this.

Yup. I wouldn't worry about that one. Out of all the places I can think of that would compromise the structural integrity of the guitar, this is not one. I would worry about falling on it or leaving it on the roof of your car (all night) because you thought you would run the amp in the house first not this.

Ha, thanks. Also, thanks to you, I've literally made out with my guitar trying to blow air through it. Hahahahaha [flapper]

If it doesn't move at all, there isn't anything that can be done anyway. So then the only thing is to watch it, but don't worry. IF it gets worse and reveals itself to be a crack, it IS fixable, and ain't all that expensive.

It doesn't seem to move, even with a decent amount of force. Sometimes it seems like it's moving, but I try it elsewhere and it could just easily be my fingertip moving :)

So do you mean there's nothing I can do ever, or just nothing to do for the moment?

It doesn't seem to move, even with a decent amount of force. Sometimes it seems like it's moving, but I try it elsewhere and it could just easily be my fingertip moving :)

So do you mean there's nothing I can do ever, or just nothing to do for the moment?

I mean, nothing at the moment. And likely, nothing that should be done.

It would only need attention or repair if there is something wrong. If it doesn't move, there is no structural problem, therefore, no way to tell if it is cracked or not cracked. If it doesn't act like a crack, then you can't fix what ain't broke.

I guess another way of putting it, if it is so slight as to not be able to tell, then there is no reason to think it needs repair.

Again, IF it ever DOES need repair, it's an easy fix. Certainly nothing to worry about.

Great, thank you! It felt like finding out your dog has cancer or something, but I feel a little better about it now. More like the dog has diarrhea and messed up the kitchen floor or something. Tough to live with that first injury on a guitar you love!

If fixing a dog with cancer was as easy as putting a little graft inside over a little crack, then it wouldn't be a concern either.

But please note, I don't think it's a crack. Just saying.

You need to take this guitar to a good repair guy. He can tell if it's a crack or not. No one will be able to help you by looking at the photos.

You should get it examined as soon as possible. If it is a crack it may get worse and compromise the whole rib. Things are going on here and it may be due to the change of seasons. Humidity can do a lot of damage to a solid wood guitar. I wouldn't wait to get this diagnosed. If it is a crack it needs to be dealt with immediately and the reasons for it need to be dealt with.

Check with an authorized Gibson repair facility near you.

First of all, thanks to all of you for the input, you kept me from losing my mind :)

I took it to the guitar shop I trust the most, and got the same mixed results as from this thread. Shop owner said "that's finish" and the repair guy overruled it and said it was a crack, but that he could stop it from spreading. Threw it in with the price of a setup, I'm pretty happy. I can live with the cosmetic aspect (though it does hurt to see the ones we love get damaged), as when it doesn't have a bright camera flash on it's barely noticeable, and I never plan on selling it, but the fact that my guitar's small crack isn't turning into a very big crack now really makes me feel better! Maybe someday down the road I'll be able to see it as "character" :)

You guys are awesome!

Archived