Gibson Brands Forums

She finally made it!

Mick Amon

I spotted this beauty on the GC used boards and fell in love instantly. She's a 2001 Epi Les Paul Limited Edition in Trans(lucent) Black. That is the most gorgeous finish I have ever seen, the picture really doesn't do her justice. She's got one little nick on her, just enough to give her some character. The bridge pup got upgraded to a Seymour Duncan, but I don't know which model yet. She's strung with Ernie Ball Slinkies right out of the box, and after I tuned her she played sooooo sweet. GC actually dropped the ball and shipped her UPS Ground snail service after I paid for 2-day Express, but I not only have a refund of my shipping coming, but a discount on my next purchase from them! The wait stunk, but it was completely worth it. She's being plugged into Rocksmith 2014 and I'm taking the 60 day challenge, so please wish me luck, as I haven't played seriously since my mid-20's and I'll be 44 years old on Friday. Sorry I got wordy, but I'm freaking excited!

post-74989-065616600 1448512721_thumb.jpg

P.S. - While I have some educated players available, what is the general consensus on the Marshall Micro Stacks for a small apartment? Are they just plain metal punch or can they get bluesy with the right settings? If they're just for rocking out, can anyone recommend something a bit more versatile in the smaller, lower-priced tiers for a learner's permit on guitar? I'm thinking $200-$300 new or used.

I spotted this beauty on the GC used boards and fell in love instantly. She's a 2001 Epi Les Paul Limited Edition in Trans(lucent) Black. That is the most gorgeous finish I have ever seen, the picture really doesn't do her justice. She's got one little nick on her, just enough to give her some character. The bridge pup got upgraded to a Seymour Duncan, but I don't know which model yet. She's strung with Ernie Ball Slinkies right out of the box, and after I tuned her she played sooooo sweet. GC actually dropped the ball and shipped her UPS Ground snail service after I paid for 2-day Express, but I not only have a refund of my shipping coming, but a discount on my next purchase from them! The wait stunk, but it was completely worth it. She's being plugged into Rocksmith 2014 and I'm taking the 60 day challenge, so please wish me luck, as I haven't played seriously since my mid-20's and I'll be 44 years old on Friday. Sorry I got wordy, but I'm freaking excited!

post-74989-065616600 1448512721_thumb.jpg

P.S. - While I have some educated players available, what is the general consensus on the Marshall Micro Stacks for a small apartment? Are they just plain metal punch or can they get bluesy with the right settings? If they're just for rocking out, can anyone recommend something a bit more versatile in the smaller, lower-priced tiers for a learner's permit on guitar? I'm thinking $200-$300 new or used.

Can't help you with the amp query, I'm afraid; but congratulations on the new Epi! Does look like a nice flamey top under that finish.

What's the 60 day challenge?

Congrats, Mick, on this pretty Epi LP! [love] Looks like there's a gorgeous top under the hood :P

;)

NICE Epiphone Les Paul.

Great guitar.

I recommend this amp, and it's on a Thanksgiving internet one-day sale:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Kustom/KG210FX-20W-2x10-Guitar-Combo-Amp-with-Digital-Effects-Black-1273887995765.gc?source=4TP5LQBA

99 bucks for a quality 2x10, 20w amp, with some versatile tones and effects.

You can't beat that!!

:)

I'm a huge fan of tube amps, especially for low-volume situations. I've got a buddy that has a Bugera V5, that I really like to goof around on. All tube, built-in attenuation (5w, 1w or .1w), for tube saturation. Has a headphone jack, too. See them used for $150, spend the rest on good tubes. Good EL84s make a great warm, bluesy sound. Although I've never played through one, I sure hear Roland cubes mentioned a lot, too, when this question comes up. Enjoy the new guitar.

Can't help you with the amp query, I'm afraid; but congratulations on the new Epi! Does look like a nice flamey top under that finish.

What's the 60 day challenge?

The 60 Day Challenge is a Rocksmith toy that tracks your improvements online and monitors your progress alongside other people using it. They promise you'll get better in 60 days with one hour a day. I got the Xbox version. I'm hoping to play more like a guitarist by the end instead of a punk metalhead who found a guitar he could afford and learned how to play power chords.

Archived