Gibson Brands Forums

Bramble Rose

MorrisrownSal

Guys, Happy Thanksgiving!

This morning I wanted to record a simple waltz that I love. This is a Tift Merritt song that Don Henley just redid. Henley's version has Mick Jagger singing the third verse, and playing harmonica. It is really beautiful, but in my opinion not as pretty as Tift's original. Actually, I hope you guys will take a crack at it and add it to the thread... I bet you all can find some pretty takes on this song, and anyways... it might be a great way for all of us to "share" on Thanksgiving - share our music.

Oh... and this is my J45, and it sounds exactly how I want a J45, or my J45, to sound.

Anyway here is my cover:

https://soundcloud.c...am/bramble-rose

Very nice! That's a really pretty melody, great vocal and playing.

I must've heard that Don Henley advertisement a dozen times: "This album talks about the rural America that I know."

I also just got a Zoom iq6. How do you find yours and what settings work best for you? Anyway, really nicely done.

Nice job, Sal, as usual. I could only listen on my computer, but through its speakers, it sounds like you really captured a very vintage voice from your J-45. Maybe you could tell us about your mic placement; I don't recall your other recordings sounding like this.

Love the choice of song, too. I'very seen Tift perform many times. She'said a real favorite. Usually, she has a battered, red J-45 with a white bat-wing guard in hand. Last time I saw her, she was not with her full band, but with a really great accompaniest who played a wonderful old Texan. Guitar port heaven.

Thanks for the great performance and song choice.

Red 333

Red,

I just used my iPhone mounted on a chap $10 gorilla stand, on a desk, about 36 inches away from me and the guitar. I sat in a chair with the guitar on my lap. I also didn't use the iPhone internal mic... I used a zoom iq6 plugged into the iPhone.

And thank you very, very much for your comments.

I am looking forward.... Hopeful... That we get your Christmas card this year. I think all of us are. You post a performance maybe once per year, but it is always flooring.

Red,

I just used my iPhone mounted on a chap $10 gorilla stand, on a desk, about 36 inches away from me and the guitar. I sat in a chair with the guitar on my lap. I also didn't use the iPhone internal mic... I used a zoom iq6 plugged into the iPhone.

And thank you very, very much for your comments.

I am looking forward.... Hopeful... That we get your Christmas card this year. I think all of us are. You post a performance maybe once per year, but it is always flooring.

Sal, here's a video from the show I last saw (not my video--I found it online), featuring Tift and her red J-45. Playing with her is Eric Heywood on his Texan. Gibson-geek heaven.

http://www.frequency.com/video/tift-merritt-at-kessler-theater-in/80623710/-/5-242519

Red 333

Red that is fantastic! That guy playing with her... is that an old Texan? of it a Masterbilt of some kind?

I believe it is a vintage Texan with a drop in saddle replacing the original adjustable saddle. It has dots on the bridge, and neither the Elitists or McCartney reissues did (nor do the current "Inspired By" models) as they were more or less modeled on McCartney's Texan, and it had a plastic bridge (so no pearl dots). I also recall it looking like a vintage instrument. Before Tift and Eric played, I took some pictures of it with my cel phone while it was on its stand on stage. I have a new cell phone now, so don't have those pics with me. I'm pretty sure I have them on a computer at home (I'm travelling right now).

Aside from all that, I don't seeing a guy like that playing a new guitar. Doesn't suit him.

Also, a closer look at the video I posted makes me think Tift is playing a B-25, NOT a J-45, now that I can see guitar's body in relation to the Texan's. Tift is so little, so I was fooled all these years by the size of the guitar relative to her! But it looks smaller than the Texan, no?

Red 333

I believe it is a vintage Texan with a drop in saddle replacing the original adjustable saddle. It has dots on the bridge, and neither the Elitists or McCartney reissues did (nor do the current "Inspired By" models) as they were more or less modeled on McCartney's Texan, and it had a plastic bridge (so no pearl dots). I also recall it looking like a vintage instrument. Before Tift and Eric played, I took some pictures of it with my cell phone while it was on its stand on stage. I have a new cell phone now, so don't have those pics with me. I'm pretty sure I have them on a computer at home (I'm travelling right now).

Aside from all that, I don't seeing a guy like that playing a new guitar. Doesn't suit him.

Also, a closer look at the video I posted makes me think Tift is playing a B-25, NOT a J-45, now that I can see guitar's body in relation to the Texan's. Tift is so little, so I was fooled all these years by the size of the guitar relative to her! But it looks smaller than the Texan, no?

Red 333

Archived